Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity. What sort of daily calorie intake are you atkins people having? I know its not ment to be something you focus on on atkins, but I worry a certain amount will halt my loss. I am averaging 1500 per day (some days less some more) but as I am back on induction, I am always staying under 20 g of carbs.
    If I go for less calories, will this speed up the loss or slow it down?
    Any of you with any tips?
    Thanks
    Jaycee xx

Jaycee, good question, I wonder the same thing. I've never really counted calories, but always feared that eating too much of them will hinder my loss, although it never did in the past. I average about 20g a day and always incorporate olive oil, mayo, and avocado in my menu, but lately have been watching the cals. It's frustrating because I know that the fat is what I need, and if I don't eat enough of it, I won't lose.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity. What sort of daily calorie intake are you atkins people having? I know its not ment to be something you focus on on atkins, but I worry a certain amount will halt my loss. I am averaging 1500 per day (some days less some more) but as I am back on induction, I am always staying under 20 g of carbs.
    Thanks
    Jaycee xx
    Jaycee, good question, I wonder the same thing. I've never really counted calories, but always feared that eating too much of them will hinder my loss, although it never did in the past. I average about 20g a day and always incorporate olive oil, mayo, and avocado in my menu, but lately have been watching the cals. It's frustrating because I know that the fat is what I need, and if I don't eat enough of it, I won't lose.
    I think it's a personal thing, really. Just like some people can't lose weight if they eat back their exercise calories and some only can lose weight if they do.

I can say, that when I was on long term induction, I tried to keep my calories no lower than 1500. Part of my purpose for eating low carb is that I already don't eat very much, so cutting calories never works for me. I figure getting my body used to eating more, while losing or maintaining my weight, can only be good for me in the long run.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I LOVE cheesecake. How long do you bake these for, and at what temperature?

Here's M2S' original post...
    Hey guys, hope everyone is doing great. I've been so busy this week, being off from work and hanging out with my kid =) I made a half batch of Cream Cheese Muffins yesterday. They are pretty much mini cheesecakes made in a cupcake pan. They are so yummy and the cupcake pan makes portion control easier. Here is the recipe:

2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
    1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min.

This is the link where I found the recipe: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/399261-cream-cheese-muffins.html
    The Whoosh Fairy came for a visit last night! I kept my carbs to 29 net yesterday and lost 2.2 pounds overnight. Whoo hoo! Hopefully, she'll hang around for another day or two because I still have another 1.4 pounds until I'm back where I started from.

Awesome news! Keep up the good work!
    fallin off the wagon, crawlin back up, just posting to keep you guys in my topics so i can find you!

Time to get back on track! :smile:
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Question about the Induction Muffin:

I make these a couple of times a week. Does anyone have ideas how to enhance the recipe?

Thanks, Felicia
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The Whoosh Fairy came for a visit last night! I kept my carbs to 29 net yesterday and lost 2.2 pounds overnight. Whoo hoo! Hopefully, she'll hang around for another day or two because I still have another 1.4 pounds until I'm back where I started from.

I've really got to hit the grocery store for some cream cheese so I can make those mini cheesecakes tomorrow on my day off. I already have some almond flour I can use as a crust, too.

YAY for the WF!!! Seems like she has been traveling a bit more lately =)
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much!!!

I LOVE cheesecake. How long do you bake these for, and at what temperature?

Here's M2S' original post...
    Hey guys, hope everyone is doing great. I've been so busy this week, being off from work and hanging out with my kid =) I made a half batch of Cream Cheese Muffins yesterday. They are pretty much mini cheesecakes made in a cupcake pan. They are so yummy and the cupcake pan makes portion control easier. Here is the recipe:

2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
    1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min.

This is the link where I found the recipe: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/399261-cream-cheese-muffins.html
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I make these a couple of times a week. Does anyone have ideas how to enhance the recipe?

Thanks, Felicia
    There are lots of ways, really! If you check out the actual Atkins site for them, there are several there, alone. Their forums have tons and tons more as people like to get really creative with them.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Thanks, Felicia
    There are lots of ways, really! If you check out the actual Atkins site for them, there are several there, alone. Their forums have tons and tons more as people like to get really creative with them.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx

That, and if you scroll through this thread, you'll see that there are some ideas. Thanks to this support group, I've been adding unsweetened cocoa and peanut butter to my muffin in place of the cinnamon!
  • martinah4
    Options

Thanks

Jaycee xx

MFP has me set at 1660, and I rarely go over that. I'm usually between 1400 and 1650 a day. I know before Atkins, I was easily taking in at least 3000. All the snacking on chips, chocolate and carbage really adds up fast. While I don't believe dieting is as simple as calories in/calories out, it definately plays a huge part. With Atkins, you are cutting calories whether you mean to, or not, because the fat makes you feel satiated. But the health benefits because of cutting out the processed carbs are, to me, indisputable! IMO of course!
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    That, and if you scroll through this thread, you'll see that there are some ideas. Thanks to this support group, I've been adding unsweetened cocoa and peanut butter to my muffin in place of the cinnamon!

Wow, great ideas already, Thanks!!!
  • HeartLunger
    Options

Thanks

Jaycee xx

After exercise I usually net 1000-1500 calories. Even if I don't exercise that day I'm always under my goal. I'm just never hungry when I'm in ketosis and I have to force myself to eat my meals.
  • martinah4
    Options

Thanks

Jaycee xx

After exercise I usually net 1000-1500 calories. Even if I don't exercise that day I'm always under my goal. I'm just never hungry when I'm in ketosis and I have to force myself to eat my meals.

Me too, although, since I have 4 young kids, it's habit to eat with the family, but I'm not ravished when I sit down. I usually get up and make the kids breakfast and walk them to school. When I'm walking home, is when I start to feel hungry. Then my 4 year old has to remind me to make lunch, because he's hungry and I keep trying to push lunch time back!
  • pork_belly
    Options

Thanks

Jaycee xx

Me too, although, since I have 4 young kids, it's habit to eat with the family, but I'm not ravished when I sit down. I usually get up and make the kids breakfast and walk them to school. When I'm walking home, is when I start to feel hungry. Then my 4 year old has to remind me to make lunch, because he's hungry and I keep trying to push lunch time back!

I am mostly under my recommended calories for my weight. Partially that is because I walk a minimum of 5 miles a day of which 2 of those miles are non-stop. The balance is regular walking in my daily schedule. I keep a track using my pedometer every waking moment.

The other reason I am also under calories is because I am not as hungry any more. Unless of course I do a long walk which is >10 miles. Then of course the calories are offset by the walk.
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    low carb cauliflower and brocolli cheese. My new favourite!!

1) Boil the cauliflower and brocolli
    2) in a pan bring the the boil 150ml of double cream, 1tsp english mustard, and a grated extra mature cheddar. Boil until it thickens slightly.

when the veg is cooked combine it with sauce in ovenproof dish, top with more cheddar and oven for 30 mins.

Eat with meat or fish :)

yummy yum yum.
  • AKosky585
    Options
    I am struggling today. I am staying within carbs, but my lovely monthly visitor is near and I am craving cream cheese!!! I've mixed up some with a little splenda to curb the craving (luckily no junk food/ non-Atkins food cravings) but it is still awful! I am constantly hungry today and am like a bottomless pit...

...does anybody else get this way on Atkins when that time is near? (Sorry for the TMI)
  • martinah4
    Options
    I do, and I'm in bottomless pit mode right now! I'm at 16 net and I haven't even had dinner :(
  • martinah4
    Options
    Just had an Atkins Chocolate shake and made it into a Frappe! About 5 carbs, but I so needed that!
  • AKosky585
    Options
    UGH....I consumed about 150g of fat today...and likely over on NET carbs....I probably ended up at about 25 or 30....not horrible, but the fat grams are enough to be totally ashamed of. Hopefully such a high fat consumption today (and not even good fats at that) wont totally derail me....and my calories were so high too...I can't remember the last time I had above 1400, let alone 2000!!!

...I know we are not supposed to count fat and calories, but I cant help it on here if I want to keep track of the carbs too...
  • HeartLunger
    Options

Thanks

Jaycee xx

I am mostly under my recommended calories for my weight. Partially that is because I walk a minimum of 5 miles a day of which 2 of those miles are non-stop. The balance is regular walking in my daily schedule. I keep a track using my pedometer every waking moment.

The other reason I am also under calories is because I am not as hungry any more. Unless of course I do a long walk which is >10 miles. Then of course the calories are offset by the walk.

Today is a good example: I consumed 1298 calories, and then burnt 657 calories from cardio leaving me with a net of 641 calories. The problem is I haven't been hungry all day. I forced myself to eat the 1298 calories. BTW, I need to consume more fiber...eek!
  • martinah4
    Options
    UGH....I consumed about 150g of fat today...and likely over on NET carbs....I probably ended up at about 25 or 30....not horrible, but the fat grams are enough to be totally ashamed of. Hopefully such a high fat consumption today (and not even good fats at that) wont totally derail me....and my calories were so high too...I can't remember the last time I had above 1400, let alone 2000!!!

...I know we are not supposed to count fat and calories, but I cant help it on here if I want to keep track of the carbs too...

I was cracking up reading this, because I did the same thing! At least I'm not alone!