Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    What is the best brand and flavor of pork rinds?

Pork rinds are awesome! I think the best ones are the ones you get at the mexican or asian stores. They have a different texture and have more flavor.

On a side note, I tried another variation of the MiM last night. I was trying to make a bun for my burger. It had lots of flavor, but was a little too salty. I put 1/4 tbs of salt, so I'll try just using a pinch next time we make burgers. Here are the ingredients.

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 tbs baking powder
    1/4 tbs onion powder
    1/4 tbs garlic powder
    Pinch of salt
    1 tbs butter
    1 egg

Took 30 min's to find it, but I found this and I'm trying it with our sliders tonight. So, after I microwave, I'm going to cut in 1/2 and put in the toaster or the over for a few minutes to get them nice and crispy! Thank you for this recipe!
  • martinah4
    Options
    What is the best brand and flavor of pork rinds?

Pork rinds are awesome! I think the best ones are the ones you get at the mexican or asian stores. They have a different texture and have more flavor.

On a side note, I tried another variation of the MiM last night. I was trying to make a bun for my burger. It had lots of flavor, but was a little too salty. I put 1/4 tbs of salt, so I'll try just using a pinch next time we make burgers. Here are the ingredients.

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 tbs baking powder
    1/4 tbs onion powder
    1/4 tbs garlic powder
    Pinch of salt
    1 tbs butter
    1 egg

Took 30 min's to find it, but I found this and I'm trying it with our sliders tonight. So, after I microwave, I'm going to cut in 1/2 and put in the toaster or the over for a few minutes to get them nice and crispy! Thank you for this recipe!

Was really good! I only had one, didn't want to overdo it! Definately doing that again!
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Can I join?? I really was looking to my sister for support but she doesn't want to do Atkins. I'm pretty excited that I found this thread and would really like to take part. I have the book,. and the will to stick to this plan. I've tried it before and lost a good amount of weight and then I ended up with a "bun in the oven" :) That was three years ago and today I am at my highest weight ever. 275ish and I'm 29 years old with two kids that need their mommy to have a little bit more energy!

Tomorrow will me my first day.
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Can I join?? I really was looking to my sister for support but she doesn't want to do Atkins. I'm pretty excited that I found this thread and would really like to take part. I have the book,. and the will to stick to this plan. I've tried it before and lost a good amount of weight and then I ended up with a "bun in the oven" :) That was three years ago and today I am at my highest weight ever. 275ish and I'm 29 years old with two kids that need their mommy to have a little bit more energy!

Tomorrow will me my first day.

Welcome. Please join us!
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I am just starting back on induction after a 3 week break from OWL (tried to introduce good carbs but just could not stop eating!). Previous to this I did 6 weeks and lost 13lbs.
    I only want to lose about 6 more lbs but I need to get it off quickly (I am getting married in 4.5 weeks and my dress is a little tight ... it fits but I would like the extra comfort!)
    I can't believe I have only just found the support group! I have posted so many things in the past about low carb and had no response (apart from the carb cops that have nothing better to do with their time).

So, basically I am asking if I can join the gang and if anyone would like to add me to support and help each other?

Well done on the good work everyone!

Jaycee x

if you really really must drop weight quickly google PSMF or lyle mcdonalds rapid fat loss solution

Thanks for the tip. I will go have a look at them. Being that I am in the last few pounds to loose it is always harder, so these may help!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    OK, so I'm just about 1 week in and I've been following Phase 1 about 99% (I did have a glass of wine...it was small but still a bit naughty).

I've lost 5 lbs and I have to say I'm feeling pretty good. I've felt full but never bloated, I did have a day or so where I felt a little sicky and a bit light-headed but after reading the website all of that is to be expected.

Here's to the next week!!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Was really good! I only had one, didn't want to overdo it! Definately doing that again!

Thanks for the update!

Haven't tried this since my first failed attempt. We even had burgers yesterday, but I wasn't craving bread. Glad to know this recipe works! :smile:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Back to work today...and reality =(

Being at the office really gives me structure and keeps me from grazing. In a way, it is a relief to be back. Yesterday afternoon, I whipped up a batch up Cheesy Garlicky Roasted Cauliflower. I kind of tweaked a recipe I saw online. It came out really yummy.

1 head cauliflower (I had a large head)
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    Garlic powder
    Olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the cauliflower into florets. Arrange on a baking dish in a single layer. I used a 13x9 and it was really crowded, but it came out fine. Pour lemon juice over the cauliflower. Sprinkle garlic powder till your hearts delight. I use a lot. Drizzle EVOO over each piece. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes at 400.

Remove from oven, sprinkle with Parm cheese and bake again for another 10 minutes. Come back to MFP and thank MommaToSam for sharing this awesome recipe with you lol! Makes 4 servings =)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options

Being at the office really gives me structure and keeps me from grazing. In a way, it is a relief to be back. Yesterday afternoon, I whipped up a batch up Cheesy Garlicky Roasted Cauliflower. I kind of tweaked a recipe I saw online. It came out really yummy.

1/4 cup lemon juice
    Garlic powder
    Olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the cauliflower into florets. Arrange on a baking dish in a single layer. I used a 13x9 and it was really crowded, but it came out fine. Pour lemon juice over the cauliflower. Sprinkle garlic powder till your hearts delight. I use a lot. Drizzle EVOO over each piece. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes at 400.

Remove from oven, sprinkle with Parm cheese and bake again for another 10 minutes. Come back to MFP and thank MommaToSam for sharing this awesome recipe with you lol! Makes 4 servings =)

Oh this sounds yummy. Can I add it to my site?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Dittie of course you can! But don't credit me. I only tweaked the recipe, I did not come up with it entirely by myself.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks! :) I love new recipes. hehe
  • martinah4
    Options

Thanks for the update!

Haven't tried this since my first failed attempt. We even had burgers yesterday, but I wasn't craving bread. Glad to know this recipe works! :smile:

I altered it a tad, just added a tsp of splenda. I wasn't really craving bread, but sometimes wrapping my greasy burger in lettuce is an excercise in futility....might as well eat it with a knife and fork. So, it was good to have something sturdier to wrap it in, and it was delicious!
  • martinah4
    Options

1/4 cup lemon juice
    Garlic powder
    Olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese

What is EVOO? Recipes looks yummy!
  • jatcat310
    Options
    I CANNOT FIND PORK RINDS ANYWHERE, it is making me crazy....guess it is time to order online, but I am nervous - what if I don't like them......
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    I CANNOT FIND PORK RINDS ANYWHERE, it is making me crazy....guess it is time to order online, but I am nervous - what if I don't like them......

How about the chip aisle in the supermarket. Maybe it's a NYC thing, but they even sell pork rinds in the gas station convenience stores here.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Too much work to say and type out, that's why I just use the letters =)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    They are in the snack aisles here in grocery and convenience stores. Look wherever potato chips are sold. They usually seem to be on the bottom shelf.

As for taste, they have a mild bacon (surprise!) flavor.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    jatcat- I get mine at the Dollar Tree where the crackers and cookies are and they are the Turkey Creek brand with only pork rind and salt as ingredients. They are an East Coast company.
  • pork_belly
    Options

You should be able to find them at Walmart. Or try Asian or Mexican/Hispanic stores.
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    http://www.atkins.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe905/Muffin-in-a-Minute-(MIM).aspx

That is the link for the MIM and you use 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder instead of cinnamon.

Here is another version that is chocolate and spice: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=153406

Thanks so much....