Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone...I'm just starting on the low carb thingy. Playing the low fat game worked for me for a while but my body has now decided it's just not good enough lol!!

I've set my goals at 60% fat, 30% protein and 10% carbs...does that sound OK??

Although I'm not strictly following Atkins, I'm taking tips from it and expect it'll end up being pretty much the same.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone...I'm just starting on the low carb thingy. Playing the low fat game worked for me for a while but my body has now decided it's just not good enough lol!!

I've set my goals at 60% fat, 30% protein and 10% carbs...does that sound OK??

Although I'm not strictly following Atkins, I'm taking tips from it and expect it'll end up being pretty much the same.

That sounds pretty good :) Be sure to read over, at least, the Atkins website(www.atkins.com) so you know what you're getting into. It's a great lifestyle if you do it right.
  • ido10612
    Options
    What is the best brand and flavor of pork rinds?

Anyone want to share some yummy pork rind recipies with me??
  • dittiepe
    Options

I don't know about a 'best'. I just usually get what's available around here, which is Mac's. They have BBq and a Spicy hot one which are both pretty tasty.

I've used pork rinds, crushed up of course, as breading for things like fried zucchini before. Need to make sure the oil is hot so it crisps up fast, but its pretty tasty :)
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

Pork rinds are awesome! I think the best ones are the ones you get at the mexican or asian stores. They have a different texture and have more flavor.

On a side note, I tried another variation of the MiM last night. I was trying to make a bun for my burger. It had lots of flavor, but was a little too salty. I put 1/4 tbs of salt, so I'll try just using a pinch next time we make burgers. Here are the ingredients.

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 tbs baking powder
    1/4 tbs onion powder
    1/4 tbs garlic powder
    Pinch of salt
    1 tbs butter
    1 egg
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, hope everyone is doing great. I've been so busy this week, being off from work and hanging out with my kid =) I made a half batch of Cream Cheese Muffins yesterday. They are pretty much mini cheesecakes made in a cupcake pan. They are so yummy and the cupcake pan makes portion control easier. Here is the recipe:

2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
    1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min.

This is the link where I found the recipe: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/399261-cream-cheese-muffins.html
  • lockef
    Options
    I must try this! I just ran out of vanilla extract, but maybe I'll try it with some lemon or banana instead, hmmm...

Thanks M2S!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I buy Baken-Ets. They are tasty and only $2 a bag.

I crush pork rinds (a big ziploc bag and a rolling pin works great!) and mix them with flax meal, Parmesan cheese and/or almond meal to make a breading for chicken or pork. Spritz with olive oil and bake them in the oven or fry in a pan with a little olive oil.

I've also made meatloaf using crushed pork rinds and flax meal as a direct substitute for the breadcrumbs. It cuts the carbs down to just a few grams per slice and my husband didn't even notice the difference.
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Hey guys, hope everyone is doing great. I've been so busy this week, being off from work and hanging out with my kid =) I made a half batch of Cream Cheese Muffins yesterday. They are pretty much mini cheesecakes made in a cupcake pan. They are so yummy and the cupcake pan makes portion control easier. Here is the recipe:

2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
    1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min.

This is the link where I found the recipe: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/399261-cream-cheese-muffins.html

I have a cheesecake recipe that's something like this. It uses sour cream too though. Tasty stuff!
  • dittiepe
    Options

I buy Baken-Ets. They are tasty and only $2 a bag.

I crush pork rinds (a big ziploc bag and a rolling pin works great!) and mix them with flax meal, Parmesan cheese and/or almond meal to make a breading for chicken or pork. Spritz with olive oil and bake them in the oven or fry in a pan with a little olive oil.

I've also made meatloaf using crushed pork rinds and flax meal as a direct substitute for the breadcrumbs. It cuts the carbs down to just a few grams per slice and my husband didn't even notice the difference.

Oh the meatloaf idea is great! Must try that.
  • pork_belly
    Options

Pork rinds are awesome! I think the best ones are the ones you get at the mexican or asian stores. They have a different texture and have more flavor.

Yep, I have to agree with you about the Asian and Mexican pork rind varieties. If you like those then you will also like the Walmart's Mac's Original Pork Cracklins. They only cost $2.97 and you get a pretty big bag!

0007349700419_215X215.jpg
  • lockef
    Options
    I don't remember ever seeing those at WalMart (don't shop there as much anymore). I'll definately keep an eye out next time I go there.
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Mac's is pretty much all that's sold around here. They're yummy!
  • ginny1214
    Options
    I passed out last night. I'm the lamest person. Blood sugar was low. Maybe Atkins not for me

Definitely talk with your doctor. Do you take diabetes medication? You need your A1C checked, because eating low carb is leveling out your insulin levels. No spikes means you can and will do this again especially if you're on meds.

No meds! I dealt with low blood sugar in hs but kind of grew out of it. I have my yearly in a few wks so until then, no Atkins, butbwill still limit carbs just not extremeb
  • vryanz
    Options
    Macs are great...they have a lot better flavor than regular pork rinds.
    Hey have any of you seen the 'Fat Head' movie? Its great. Totally squashes the 'fat kills' theory. It's kind of a spoof on 'Supersize me'. You can see it on Hulu.
    'Big Fat Fiasco' is also good. It is a lecture on You Tube. Both are done by the same guy. He is very entertaining too!
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Macs are great...they have a lot better flavor than regular pork rinds.
    Hey have any of you seen the 'Fat Head' movie? Its great. Totally squashes the 'fat kills' theory. It's kind of a spoof on 'Supersize me'. You can see it on Hulu.
    'Big Fat Fiasco' is also good. It is a lecture on You Tube. Both are done by the same guy. He is very entertaining too!

Yes, I've seen Fat Head. Its a pretty good movie.
  • ido10612
    Options
    Thanks for the pork rind ideas. Ive never seen macs. im going to look around for them tho. ive bought a
    'terry's" brand which is pretty good. But then i bought some from walmart that just tasted like butt!! I think ill have to crush those ones up for the meat loaf. lol. def cant eat them plain. Yall are awesome let me no if you have anymore yummy recipes i can try.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pork rind ideas. Ive never seen macs. im going to look around for them tho. ive bought a
    'terry's" brand which is pretty good. But then i bought some from walmart that just tasted like butt!! I think ill have to crush those ones up for the meat loaf. lol. def cant eat them plain. Yall are awesome let me no if you have anymore yummy recipes i can try.
    You made me curious, so I did a search. Found this message board. I thought the "french toast" recipe sounded VERY interesting!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/526332-easy-recipes-pork-rinds.html
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Okay have to get back on track today. Friday I had WAY too many carbs and yesterday was better and at least I had a lot of fiber to help balance it out. I made cupcakes with coconut flour and xylitol for our neighbor's Labor day get together and ground flax muffins to go with the coldcuts so didn't go over as much as I might have. Having a wheat allergy really helps in situations like that because I am not tempted. So today I am getting back on track.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I buy Turkey Creek pork rinds I get them at the Dollar Tree so great price and I get plain since the other varieties of all the brands I have seen are full of MSG. I haven't ever seen the Mac's brand here or in Virginia, have to keep an eye out for them.