What's the point in losing weight?

Options
Seriously guys. I don't know why I even bother. I'll never be skinny.... I'm only scared to gain it all back.

Replies

• HalloweenNinja
    Options
    Who cares about being skinny? Surely the aim is to be fitter, healthier and be happier with yourself.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Who cares about being skinny? Surely the aim is to be fitter, healthier and be happier with yourself.

I was happier at 295 pounds.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    IF ur sad like this theres a good chance that ur eating too little.
    Just a guess here.
    if i eat too little, it REALLY effects my mood.
    And then i start to not see the point in dieting anymore, because it just makes you feel like really miserable, and hungry and annoyed, etc..
    I would recommend increasing ur calories and see what happens.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    To live a long, healthy, energy filled life with those you love and care about...:)
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

i know this is a tochy subject but you may feel like you were happier because its so hard now but i guarantee you will feel fantastic if you eat healthy and be healthy for yourself
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You started trying to lose weight for a reason. Right now you are feeling miserable and demotivated. Try sitting down with a pen a paper and write down all the reason's you started this in the first place. Look at that list ans see if it's still valid for you now. It probably will be when your not feelign so down.

Try things like

1. To feel healthier
    2. To be able to wear nicer clothes
    3. To enjoy clothes shopping more
    4. To have more energy
    5. To be fitter

Just a few of mine, i've got kids so the ones i put first are related to them so i've not put them here. See if you can get 20 and keep the list to look at whenever your feeling this way.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    For some its about having a future.

I started a little over a month ago... at 300 lbs, on my 5 ft 3 in frame. I have always been big. I graduated High school at 225 in a size 20. I want a happy healthy future for myself. I couldn't go to amusement parks because all the walking and people made my anxious and uncomfortable, and i feared i wouldn't fit in the rides and would be humiliated when asked to leave. I can never find clothes that fit, I wear thru jeans so quickly since my thighs are so big and its hard to find ones that fit in the first place. I want to have children someday and because of my weigh i cant right now. Even if i could i couldn't play with them or anything. I want to Kayak but im afraid i wont fit or wont be able to get in/out of a kayak without falling in. I want to go sky diving but im way above the weight limit. I don't want to live in pain for my whole life (back pain, knee pain) I don't want to have to try on everything in my closet just to find something that looks OK just to go out with friends/family. I want to be able to see my shoes (i love shoes!!) and be able to tie my shoes/cut my toe nails/paint my toe nails with ease. I want to not get winded walking up to my 3rd floor apartment, and not limit my house choices to single levels when i buy a house.

like i said i started at 300 lbs 5 weeks ago and have lost 15 lbs. Im happier now, I don't deprive myself. Moderation is my most important key!!

So whats the point in losing weight, for me, is my future. I am 24 and i feel like im in a 74 yr olds body, i want to feel like im in a 24 yr olds body.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    why were you happier at 295? what is bothering you?
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options

But were you? I have said that so many times as I thought it was also just easier to be heavier than having to think about what I was eating, how much excercise I had done! I was 211 pounds (96kgs) at my heaviest and this road hasn't been easy - its a complete battle each and every day but think like njava87 said, it's about the future.

Don't become disheartened, every day is a new day and its not about falling, it's whether you pick yourself up and try again :smile:
  • funkyspunky871
    Options

At least I had a life at 295. I had friends, and I had other interests. My entire life revolves around food, exercise, and weight loss now.
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Seriously guys. I don't know why I even bother. I'll never be skinny.... I'm only scared to gain it all back.

The point is to.....

1/ Feel better about yourself
    2/ Have more energy
    3/ To keep type 2 diabetes and other obesity related illnesses at bay
    4/ To live longer

These are only a few but there is definately a point to losing weight. You don't need to be skinny but having a normal BMI will keep you healthy and happy :flowerforyou:

x
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options

How can You honestly be Happy at that weight? It it not about being Skinny. It should Be about being Healthy. Disease Prevention, Feeling better about you. Eating bad food and being over weight is a slow death sentance and No one wants that. Set Small goals. Beacuse if you setone big one it seems to hard to achive. THe small ones add up and then before you know it things are changing
  • EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    Options
    For some its about having a future.

I started a little over a month ago... at 300 lbs, on my 5 ft 3 in frame. I have always been big. I graduated High school at 225 in a size 20. I want a happy healthy future for myself. I couldn't go to amusement parks because all the walking and people made my anxious and uncomfortable, and i feared i wouldn't fit in the rides and would be humiliated when asked to leave. I can never find clothes that fit, I wear thru jeans so quickly since my thighs are so big and its hard to find ones that fit in the first place. I want to have children someday and because of my weigh i cant right now. Even if i could i couldn't play with them or anything. I want to Kayak but im afraid i wont fit or wont be able to get in/out of a kayak without falling in. I want to go sky diving but im way above the weight limit. I don't want to live in pain for my whole life (back pain, knee pain) I don't want to have to try on everything in my closet just to find something that looks OK just to go out with friends/family. I want to be able to see my shoes (i love shoes!!) and be able to tie my shoes/cut my toe nails/paint my toe nails with ease. I want to not get winded walking up to my 3rd floor apartment, and not limit my house choices to single levels when i buy a house.

like i said i started at 300 lbs 5 weeks ago and have lost 15 lbs. Im happier now, I don't deprive myself. Moderation is my most important key!!

So whats the point in losing weight, for me, is my future. I am 24 and i feel like im in a 74 yr olds body, i want to feel like im in a 24 yr olds body.
    Good luck to you girl! Will look forward to hearing your success story!
    I think the above poster gave you some very valid reasons to losing weight. You have lost so much already, why stop now? You keep going girlie! We all believe in you! Best of luck.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    FunkySpunky871... It is AMAZING losses such as yours that fuel my drive to be a healthier, happier, better ME!! I hope you keep at it and not think its a waste of time. Continue to be an inspiration :)
  • leo1983ss
    leo1983ss Posts: 1
    Options
    How can You honestly be Happy at that weight? It it not about being Skinny. It should Be about being Healthy. Disease Prevention, Feeling better about you. Eating bad food and being over weight is a slow death sentance and No one wants that. Set Small goals. Beacuse if you setone big one it seems to hard to achive. THe small ones add up and then before you know it things are changing

I do have to agree with the comment above.
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    I think you've got other stuff going on in your life and you're using your weight loss as an excuse for why things are going wrong. When you were 295, you would've used being overweight as the excuse. It really is true what people say -- losing the weight won't suddenly make you happy or solve every problem you ever had. Skinny people have the same problems as fat people.

Think about what's really bothering you. Your mentioning friends a lot and one of your updates today was about your friends. What's going on there and what steps can you take to fix it?
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    what are your other interest? and what happened to your friends? Your friends should not change because you started to eat right and exercise, they aren't much of friends if that is the case.

You can still do the things you like, and that is what people fail to get, you don't need to cut things out completely, you just need to modify or trim thhings down.

Sounds like you are putting to much pressure on yourself.

I like a good beer, comedy clubs, etc. I won't change that. I love buffalo wings, every so often I go out with frineds and have a couple of beers and wings,

you can do what you want in a healthy manner.

What happened to your friends?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You've done amazingly well so far, and your end goal is in sight. I'm sure that took an enormous amount of effort and will-power - I admire you for that.

Why do you say you have you no friends now? Can you make a little time each week to join them for a non-food related activity such as going to the cinema, or shopping?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

At least I had a life at 295. I had friends, and I had other interests. My entire life revolves around food, exercise, and weight loss now.

This sounds as if you may have shut your life down and put all your focus on the goal of losing weight and you've done a fantastic job, but now things have slowed down to a crawl, and you're frustrated that you're putting all this effort into one thing and not seeing the quick results of before. (I'm just guessing here.)

Maybe this is the time to integrate more things back into your life, a little bit at a time so you don't lose the focus on your healthy lifestyle, but have a broader life again.

You don't have to give up one for the other, you just need to find a balance to have them both.
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    I think you've got other stuff going on in your life and you're using your weight loss as an excuse for why things are going wrong. When you were 295, you would've used being overweight as the excuse. It really is true what people say -- losing the weight won't suddenly make you happy or solve every problem you ever had. Skinny people have the same problems as fat people.

Think about what's really bothering you. Your mentioning friends a lot and one of your updates today was about your friends. What's going on there and what steps can you take to fix it?

No, what you don't understand is that there ISN'T anything else going on in my life. I've pushed away every single one of my friends because I have calories to count and recipes to save and exercise to do and scales to step on and water to drink. Every single minute of my day is devoted to food. You know, I think I wake up in the mornings just to eat breakfast. I went to see a movie with my family tonight and couldn't pay attention to it because of the popcorn my little brother was eating and the 30DS I was skipping.