does this make me a jerk? Probably...

Options
awelch79
awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
So my SIL started bragging to me about how she fit into a 6 at Kohls (I was stoked about getting an 8 last week). She sent me a pic of herself in them from the dressing room. They were TIGHT and theres no way she could have worn them with any other shirt than the tunic she had on...you could see the muffin top flowing over them. So---am I a jerk that I say that you can only count a size when you can zip them without holding your breath AND wear any shirt in your closet with them?

or maybe its just a rivalry thing...any opinions? (and I think I am usually a pretty nice person, for the record!!!) :grumble:

Replies

• B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    just because you can "fit" into something doesn't mean you should [justsayin]
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Ummm... no. You're not a jerk. She's a jerk for sending you that pic. You would be a jerk if you didn't tell her nicely not to buy them, yet.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I ony consider it my size when I can zip & wear them without a muffin top.

I hate seeing women with huge muffin tops, or dangling belly's OVER their jeans and going what? I weight the same as you how are you 3 sizes bigger??? Um because my pants fit right!

**And usually people guess im 1-4 sizes smaller because I wear things that fit well and compliment my body type
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Ummm... no. You're not a jerk. She's a jerk for sending you that pic. You would be a jerk if you didn't tell her nicely not to buy them, yet.

You hit the nail on the head! :laugh:
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I definitely would have thought that!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't SAY anything to her, but zipping isn't the same as fitting.

I can zip my old high school jeans. And they hurt. A lot.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    bump
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    when you have a muffin top and can only wear pants with a tunic, that doesn't mean you actually fit them. She's in denial, and obviously in competition with you, and/or seeking your approval. Be the better person and let it go, but also let her know that they may be a little tight....in other words....lol I shouldnt give advice on this aspect since people tell me I am an *kitten*, but I'd let her know all the kinds of infections, including yeast infections she can get from wearing clothing that is excessively tight.
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    also... i hope you are encouraging her to tone up and be healthier. i would consider a friend to be more of a jerk if they went around making fun of me behind my back instead of telling me that im fat to my face.
  • julieban1
    julieban1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not a jerk! You shouldnt be able to claim a size without being able to zip up with ease and wear anything with it. She isn't fitting into it. She's pouring herself into them.
  • mimiswoboda
    Options
    Oh my gosh that's great! You're not a jerk. Just honest!
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    A little schadenfreude never hurt anyone. It's a little jerkish if you say anything rude, but a little "ohhh, that's nice, but it might not be the most flattering look"
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't SAY anything to her, but zipping isn't the same as fitting.

I can zip my old high school jeans. And they hurt. A lot.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I can say the same thing!! OUCH!! *barely breathing* "does it f-it??"
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    So my SIL started bragging to me about how she fit into a 6 at Kohls (I was stoked about getting an 8 last week). She sent me a pic of herself in them from the dressing room. They were TIGHT and theres no way she could have worn them with any other shirt than the tunic she had on...you could see the muffin top flowing over them. So---am I a jerk that I say that you can only count a size when you can zip them without holding your breath AND wear any shirt in your closet with them?

or maybe its just a rivalry thing...any opinions? (and I think I am usually a pretty nice person, for the record!!!) :grumble:

rofl. awesome. I am a pretty nice person too.. but that doesn't seem to matter! hah
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Don't antagonise the mother in law.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think so. I don't believe it's your size if you can't wear them comfortably. Anyone who claims they're comfortable when they have to lay on their bed to zip their pants are lying.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Two nights ago...I was going through my closet cleaning out old clothes. I've got like 10 pairs of jeans I have NO idea why I've kept...so I decided to try them all on just to see. First pair, 30" waist...got them on (couldn't do that last time I tried), sipped them cleanly...and...they buttoned lol. I was kinda in shock to be honest. I normally wear 34's comfortably, and some of my 34's only fit if they're dead out of the dryer...or they fall down around my *kitten*.

However...the point of this is...I looked like an IDIOT! You think women look silly with muffin tops?? Try bread tops...on a guy.
    Sooo, back to the point. I am SO not a 30" waist pant size. They were...umm, wearable I guess, but you won't catch me dead in them in the forseeable future. Still a solid 34" pant...until further notice lol.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    Two nights ago...I was going through my closet cleaning out old clothes. I've got like 10 pairs of jeans I have NO idea why I've kept...so I decided to try them all on just to see. First pair, 30" waist...got them on (couldn't do that last time I tried), sipped them cleanly...and...they buttoned lol. I was kinda in shock to be honest. I normally wear 34's comfortably, and some of my 34's only fit if they're dead out of the dryer...or they fall down around my *kitten*.

However...the point of this is...I looked like an IDIOT! You think women look silly with muffin tops?? Try bread tops...on a guy.
    Sooo, back to the point. I am SO not a 30" waist pant size. They were...umm, wearable I guess, but you won't catch me dead in them in the forseeable future. Still a solid 34" pant...until further notice lol.

lol! You're awesome!
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's funny... some folks I've recruited to the site have also seemed to make it a competition or top my successes. Bums me out, but I feel like a jerk not wanting to congratulate them. LOL

Guess we just need to focus and be excited about our own successes, the true ones.

And congrats on getting into the single digit! I've never been there myself, but the thought of a single digit gets me all excited. Maybe this time I'll get there! :-)
  • dyaniT
    dyaniT Posts: 4
    Options
    I often tell my friends that what you can "fit into" isn't necessarily what "fits."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!