Ladies who do pullups...

Options

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Probably a parallel grip with your thumbs pointed towards you. But I will say this, don't be discouraged..!!...you will likely be better off doing the negatives like we discussed above. I am strong, and even when I was overweight, I was still strong...and I could only do two to three pullups then...with crappy form. The negatives will build your strength and help you when you're ready to step up to the full version.
    Thanks! I won't be discouraged. 2 months ago I could barely manage 10 girly pushups in a row. Now I can do 30 full pushups with good form. Maybe not a lot for fit folks but huge for me. It just takes putting in the time and practice to make it happen.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    This is the honest truth.. one thing that helped me is I bought a chin-up bar for home, one that hangs in the door way, and whenever I went into the other room I did a couple chin-ups or pull-ups as a cost of entry type thing. Never did any to total failure but would do reps all throughout the day everyday.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I put mine over the bathroom door. ....I might get a lot of practice if I follow that routine. :)
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 20 chin ups and 10 pull ups. I can do three sets of each. My trainer had me start with a chair under one of my feet slightly in front of me. He'd make me do as many as I could without the chair then would pull it away just so my toe was on it for a little assistance until I didn't need it. It definitely took me a few months to do it on my own so don't get discouraged
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Another way to help yourself complete reps is to use resistance bands. Hook the handles up on the bar, and put your feet in the middle of the band. The nice part is the bands represent a specific assisted-poundage, so if you need to double them up in the beginning, you know exactly how much help you are getting, and can systematically reduce the assisted poundage as well.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I put mine over the bathroom door. ....I might get a lot of practice if I follow that routine. :)

In all seriousness, yup it is a good idea.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    OK, I have ovaries, so I'm going to pipe in too! LOL ...

I use the counter balance pull up/dip machine at the gym (what's being called 'assisted pull up' - I called it that at the gym and was quickly corrected ...). I use all three grip variations and do a set of full hanging X 15 and then do them again stopping myself half way down mid-momentum (I have no door jams that will work with an at home version). My goal is to eventually get to where I can do at least 10 full hanging using each grip. When I am done however, my water bottle does indeed shake ... and my arms feel like jello :)

I also have moved from modified push ups to regular and then to walking push ups. I noticed as I got better doing those, my pull ups increased as well!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I installed a door frame pull up bar awhile ago, but after a few weeks it wasn't really doing it for me anymore, so I got a wall mounted system that I love. Right now I can do 4-5 unassisted pull-ups, but I'm working really hard to increase that number. I'm also working on my push-ups and weights as well. I don't go to a gym so I'm only doing this stuff at home, I use just dumbbells, resistance bands and my pull-up bar and so far it's been enough. Pull-ups are amazing though, the feeling I had when I did my first unassisted one was pure joy. I think I'm the only girl I know with a pull-up bar installed her in bedroom and had to get rid of closets to install it.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Pull ups are the one thing I have never been able to succeed at and I am still trying to figure out why. Push-ups are successful for myself as well as other strength training. I have even flipped a 450lb. tire yet trying to do one pull up...forget about it. I have wrist issues which I have been told could be affecting my ability to do them but I don't buy it. I am switching to my boyfriend's gym once my current membership runs out. THey train for Ironman's and such so there is much more strength training challenges than at the current gym I am at. Hopefully once I have full access to that type of training everyday I will get better at them. But I do wonder...does anyone else on this thread think that weak wrists could be a culprit? I can only do so many push-ups before they hurt and then I have to switch to resting my hands on dumbbells or push up bars to keep my wrists neutral. Makes the push up tougher which I love, but I'm curious if pull ups don't keep my wrists fully neutral therefore affecting my performance? Any input would be appreciated!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have ovaries!

I don't think I can do a pull up or a chin up. I haven't even tried since I was a kid.

However, I do have an awesome book. It's the "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises". I highly recommend that you check it out from your local library. It has a whole chapter on lats. It suggests different modifications for pull ups. There is tons of strength training in there. It says it's written by some guy named Adam Campbell, but if you read through the credits, there is lots of estrogen that contributed to the book.

Personally, I don't have anything to do a pull up from, and I honestly am scared to try at this point, but I do plan on doing some pull overs this week and see how it goes.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    sufikitkat: your wrist issue sounds similar to my elbow issue. It's just a strength thing we gotta build up. MrBrown72 suggested earlier in the thread to rely on the assisted pullup machine to correct it over time :) But yeah, I get your meaning; when I was little and used to take gymnastics the instructors told my parents to wrap my wrists because they were "weak". 'Course, my genetics prohibited me from ever being a gymnast anyway :P
  • JNick77
    Options
    The pull-up assist device can be a good thing but try doing without first.

a. Either do the jump up to the bar and pull as many times as you can and then finish off on the assist machine
    b. Do as many as you can with and without a "kip" and then finish off with the assist machine.

The assist machine is good but it's still not exactly the same.
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    P.S. I'm seriously disappointed by the lack of ovaries on this thread.
    LOL! Well, you DID title this "Ladies who do pullups". I'm only a wannabe. I've just been doing the assisted pullups with 85 pounds assistance. I'm hoping to work up to a real pullup by the time I reach goal weight. I haven't tried the band assist again yet, but I think I'm still too weak. I still feel a little shy about the negative pullups in the gym because my last attempt was so pathetic, but maybe I'll install a bar on my porch. Just trying to glean some tips and figure out exactly what kipping is.
    ETA - sorry, I completely missed the second and third pages of this thread!
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Can I totally hijack this thread...I SO want to build up to a pull up...as I've never ever ever ever even been able to do a pushup let alone a pull up...so I'm still working on the small stuff!

(NB I broke my right wrist and a bone in that hand when I was about 15 (and they didn't realise for almost 4 weeks, they just thought it was sprained, and it took over 6 months of physio following this to get any kind of motion back in it etc etc.... so it's still a little weak when opening jars and pouring heavy saucepans and stuff...it's the bizarre movements and angles that do it...the wrist is fine when it's locked, but turning over tends to make it weak)

BUT ANYWAY, I am proud to say that I have progressed from hardly being able to do "lady" pressups (knees), to being able to do proper pressups with my feet together.
    My brother challenged me to do pressups with my thumb and first finger of each hand making a diamond...and I couldn't do this...(it felt like my arms were at such a bizarre angle and I had no strength).....would you guys say this was the next logical step...and how do I strengthen whatever muscle it is to be able to do this...OR what else would you say was next....?

Thank you!!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Can I totally hijack this thread...I SO want to build up to a pull up...as I've never ever ever ever even been able to do a pushup let alone a pull up...so I'm still working on the small stuff!

(NB I broke my right wrist and a bone in that hand when I was about 15 (and they didn't realise for almost 4 weeks, they just thought it was sprained, and it took over 6 months of physio following this to get any kind of motion back in it etc etc.... so it's still a little weak when opening jars and pouring heavy saucepans and stuff...it's the bizarre movements and angles that do it...the wrist is fine when it's locked, but turning over tends to make it weak)

BUT ANYWAY, I am proud to say that I have progressed from hardly being able to do "lady" pressups (knees), to being able to do proper pressups with my feet together.
    My brother challenged me to do pressups with my thumb and first finger of each hand making a diamond...and I couldn't do this...(it felt like my arms were at such a bizarre angle and I had no strength).....would you guys say this was the next logical step...and how do I strengthen whatever muscle it is to be able to do this...OR what else would you say was next....?

Thank you!!!

Heya!

On the diamond pushups...just start as wide as it takes to complete one...then slowly work towards bringing them in each workout. Improvements should come quickly =D. I hate them too, because my chest and biceps get in the way, shortening the range of motion drastically =p.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I hate them too, because my chest and biceps get in the way, shortening the range of motion drastically =p.

*gives sad puppy face, pulls your head to her chest an begins stroking your hair*
    Oh you poor, POOR thing! Bless your heart.

(LMFAO)
  • JNick77
    Options
    I hate them too, because my chest and biceps get in the way, shortening the range of motion drastically =p.

*gives sad puppy face, pulls your head to her chest an begins stroking your hair*

(LMFAO)

LOL, nice one.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

(LMFAO)

LOL I knew there was a reason I loved ya =D.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    sufikitkat: your wrist issue sounds similar to my elbow issue. It's just a strength thing we gotta build up. MrBrown72 suggested earlier in the thread to rely on the assisted pullup machine to correct it over time :) But yeah, I get your meaning; when I was little and used to take gymnastics the instructors told my parents to wrap my wrists because they were "weak". 'Course, my genetics prohibited me from ever being a gymnast anyway :P

I actually was a cheerleader and injured my wrists several times from basing stunts. My ortho informed me I have fluid build up permanently in my right wrist (the one I hurt the most of course and use the most since I am righty) and if I feel pain to stop. He does not want me to have to have surgery, which happened to a couple girls I cheered with over time from not paying attention to the pain. So I don't necessarily think its weak wrists as much as it's that they have been through too much wear and tear and now I have to be careful. It's never an issue of strength when I stop push ups, its an issue of actual pain. That's why I wonder about keeping them neutral during pull ups, what's the best way to ensure that and if there's not a way to I guess I won't do them.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I actually was a cheerleader and injured my wrists several times from basing stunts. My ortho informed me I have fluid build up permanently in my right wrist (the one I hurt the most of course and use the most since I am righty) and if I feel pain to stop. He does not want me to have to have surgery, which happened to a couple girls I cheered with over time from not paying attention to the pain. So I don't necessarily think its weak wrists as much as it's that they have been through too much wear and tear and now I have to be careful. It's never an issue of strength when I stop push ups, its an issue of actual pain. That's why I wonder about keeping them neutral during pull ups, what's the best way to ensure that and if there's not a way to I guess I won't do them.

Wrap them, honestly. I can't think of a time during pull ups where my wrists aren't neutral though...so I can't imagine it being an issue?