Spank your kids yes or no?

Options
124»

Replies

• peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options
    I live a non-violent life.

I've never hit anyone in my life, so I'm probably not going to start with small children.
  • samanthalynne21
    samanthalynne21 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Im a full time nanny to 3 boys...I would never raise my hand to anyone elses kids and honestly there are other ways to deal with bad behavior. /everything I do works. all kids are different, my parents spanked me and some people wouldnt dare. its a touchy subject for sure
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    all of the little terrors I know were children of parents who believed that they should spare the rod and coddle the child
    You can "spare the rod" without coddling a child though. We don't spank but we certainly don't coddle either. I have worked with many children who have tons of behavior problems that are spanked on a regular basis.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think certain situations may call for spanking but abuse is definitely too far. I think those that argue against spanking need to sit back and think about the world we live in. Look at today, kids have no respect for anything, kids kill other kids and I'm not talking about gang violence. We have cops policing schools and not just inner-city schools, regular suburban upper-middle / upper class schoool systems.

Back when spanking was just an accepted form of discipline you didn't have this stuff going on. You can talk to your kids until you're blue in the face you can set rules, rewards, and consequences and follow through with those consequences all day long but somethings just call for more.
    But there are many other things that are different today besides spanking being accepted. I think there are too many other variables at play to equate spanking being less accepted and kids having no respect.
  • janiecorona
    janiecorona Posts: 248
    Options
    Coming as a child who was spanked and beat, I think it's unnecessary. As a parent, you should find a way to parent without abuse. I think spanking is just a way to skip your obligations for an "easy" out but the ramifications of a spanking can affect a child psychologically. I wouldn't recommend it and I am 100% sure that I will never spank my daughter. Patience, if you have it, you won't have to spank a child.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    YES I did and I would do it again! My daughter is turning 26 next month and she is an amazing lady that I'm proud to say she is my Daughter.
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was spanked as a kid *duh* for things I knew I did wrong for. I was mostly punished the same day or from a upcoming sleepover, never grounded. My mom or dad had a "spanker" they used to spank me and my sibs. They would not use their hands or anything else because they didn't want us to cringe if they were only coming to hug or to pat our heads. After we did whatever was wrong, they would send me to my or their room for about 10 minutes ( I know now they did that to cool down though I always thought it was to strike more dread in my bad little heart) then they'd come in and say, " you did this...blah blah...do you understand?" Of course I always knew exactly what I did and I would say I understood. They would then proceed to spank my poor behind (spank..not beat.) I never got a bruise. Ever. After the spanking was over they always always told me that they spanked me because I did____, the reason why I shouldn't have done it and that they love me. And from that, yes I will spank my kids over certain things. Not beat them. Not make empty threats or let them have their way. So there :bigsmile:

I just wanted to add that they didn't both spank me at the same time...it was either mom or dad.. Whoever was the least mad or disappointed did the spanking. haha! I really think if parents are consistent in what they say they'll do then kids really shouldn't have a problem obeying them.