What bothers you at the gym?

MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
So I was at the gym this morning. I started off with C25K and then headed to circuit training. I'm sure most of us know what circuit training is, but if you don't, it's basically a few workout machines (certain weight machines, certain cardio machines) to give you a full body workout in less time. You move around from station to station according to the timer posted at your gym.

Well, when I went to circuit training, I got on one of the machines and began to lift. There was a man across from me on a bike (about 30 years old, average fitness from what I could see), doing his part of the circuit training. When the timer beeped and we were supposed to switch, I moved on, but the guy didn't. I thought "Alright, he's just doing one extra round on the bike before switching. Whatever." But then it was time to switch again, and he didn't move, just kept going and going on his bike.

Figuring he was new or something (hey, we were all new at once- there was a time when I didn't know what the circuit was, haha), I decided to approach him and explain to him. I said, "Sir, this is circuit training. That light over there flashes, and then we get on, when it flashes again after 45 seconds, we switch machines. We're not supposed to stay on one machine the whole time."
All he said was, "I know."
Then I said, "Well, sir, could you please start switching machines? I'd like to use the bike so I can finish my circuit training properly.
And then he told me, "I can use this d*mn bike however I'd like! You think you know what you're doing, fat b*itch?"

I just sort of stared at him for awhile like "Did he really say that?"
And then I ignored him- when the time for the bike came, I ran up and down the staires (thank God the circuit training is located right next to the stairs!).

But man, some things/people at the gym really irk me?

Have you had any experiences like that?

Replies

• Large dudes looking roided up doing their reps like this:

UUUUNNNNHHHHHHHHHHHHHA!
    UUUUUUNNNNHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHNNN!
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    OMG are you serious?! that guy needs his *kitten* kicked. it wouldve been pretty fitting if you had gone and gotten someone who worked there to tell him to get off the bike, and not to speak to people like that.
    what a disgusting human being.

the thing that annoys me the most is when people wear jeans or pajamas. CMON.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Oh my God!! That's horrible! :( Did you complain to somebody? ...Could anybody even do something about him?!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Then I said, "Well, sir, could you please start switching machines? I'd like to use the bike so I can finish my circuit training properly.
    And then he told me, "I can use this d*mn bike however I'd like! You think you know what you're doing, fat b*itch?"

Are you kidding me?? What a disgusting scumbag. Do gyms have any sort of policy for banning people like this? Blatantly disregarding the rules and conventions of the gym and insulting another member. Outrageous.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Wow!!! I can't believe that guy!! How can anyone call someone a "fat b*tch" when they are there at the gym, trying to get into shape. Unbelievable!!

I would most certainly have reported him to the gym manager. That kind of behavior is completely unacceptable and he should be suspended. Argg....he makes me so mad! I'm sorry you had to deal with that jerk.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    I am not a member of a gym and don't know the etiquette, but surely what he did and said isn't acceptable in any gym? As in it's not something some people do and you just have to accept it (like not cleaning up their sweat, eeww!) but something you should have reported him for that would result in him at least getting a 'telling off' about how to treat other members and use the equipment properly!
  • Next time tell him "doucheb*g says what? Nevermind."
  • Dudes wearing lycra.

No one should ever have to see that *kitten*.

But i dont goto the gym enough for it to be an issue
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    All the 15 year old boys who think they're so bad *kitten*. They lift too heavy and then grunt and curse, throw their weights on the floor really loudly. Also the girls who come in and do half-*kitten* workouts. They'll do the little abductor and adductor machines and do some crunches and they walk suuuper slowly and get in your way as you're trying to hustle in your workout. They talk and laugh and don't really do many reps and then they'll sit there hogging the machines, not doing any reps.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    When I'm pointedly staring down a guy and he smiles back thinking I'm flirting. No dude, I'm just pissed your traditional strength training taking long *kitten* breaks butt is hogging the piece of equipment I want and that equipment isn't your loins. I come to the gym to do circuit weight training and I mean f'n business.
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Im so sorry he was such a prick! I live on a military base and my gym is filled with PJs (basically THE MOST FIT any human should ever be x2) and clearly they think they own the gym so it's just a constant battle to get any machines there....or for them to wipe them off (ew) I mean great eye candy but come on...you all dont need to ride the dang bike for an hour and a half together!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

Are you kidding me?? What a disgusting scumbag. Do gyms have any sort of policy for banning people like this? Blatantly disregarding the rules and conventions of the gym and insulting another member. Outrageous.

Yes, this!

I'm irrationally annoyed by the Cling-ons. The people who crank the incline way up in the treadmill, then hold on to the top for dear life. It shouldn't bother me. It's not affecting ME. They're the ones not getting the most from their workout. But it still bothers me. And it bothers me that it bothers me. :noway:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    ive never had a bad encounter like that, but i would of been grabbing a manager.....what a douche...
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    That is poor form on his behalf!!

My pet peeve is watching guys literally spend 30-45 minutes doing nothing but variations of the barbell curl...

Another one is guys who put their towel to reserve machines and end up resting 10+ minutes between sets to talk to their friends. WTF!!

Oh and females who walk into the gym. Go to the treadmill. Walk at a super slow speed for an hour, don't come close to breaking a sweat and then walk out of the gym. It's like uh... couldn't you have done that outside super easily?
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Wow! what a jerk! I have not run into that kind of rudeness at the gym, but also.. I work there. But I haven't seen this attitude as much in adults... i've seen this with the 10 year olds though! and that is definitely how he was acting! sorry you had to put up with that!
  • I'll be serious now. In truth, tell management and that's it. Trust me, It's not worth actually sinking to that losers level. I'm really sorry that happened to you though, totally uncalled for.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Sorry about your bad experience! That guy sounds like a real jerk! I would have said something to management about him. :mad:

I don't belong to a gym anymore, but when I did, my complaints were:

- people sweating like crazy on machines, then not wiping them down afterwards with some cleaner (the grossest is on the bike seats! Yuck!)
    - when the gym posts signs such as "At busy times, please do not use this machine for more than 30 mins at a time" and it's crazy busy in the gym and someone is on the machine for over an hour with people waiting!
    - really loud grunting
    - spitting in the water fountain and not washing it down (I do NOT want to see your spit when I go get a drink of water!)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    What a jerk!!! I can't believe he actually said that to you. I would have marched over to the gym manager (I've gotten to know the head of the training department well in the last 6 months I've been going) and told him exactly what happened. Chances are that member wouldn't be one for very long.

To your original question tho, I cannot STAND the hulking meatheads that get all gross and sweaty, use a strength machine and then don't wipe it down afterwards. GROSS! I'm not going to be your mother and do it for you, but I'm not going anywhere near that machine unless it's been sanitized. I also dislike the guy who hops on the elliptical behind me and proceeds to stare at my bum while I run. Yes, I can see you in the mirrors... hahahaha
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    WOW. What a douche!!! I'd have reported him to someone for sure!! Or punched him in his stupid face (probably wouldn't though...I'd want to be able to come back!!)!! Next time you see him there, you should point him out to management and explain what happened last time!! Arrgh what a JERK!

I KIND OF had the same experience with a guy at my apartment's gym (minus the fat b*tch part), and he had OBVIOUSLY been in there for a long time because when I'd opened the door it was like an oven. He didn't put the AC on or anything. YUCK! He was bumping his music on his boom box (yes, a BOOM BOX!), and sweating all over everything!! YUCK! He was doing circuits, but he hogged these two that I wanted to get on. I didn't say anything (probably should have), just did circuits around him. I saw him quite a few times when I was going there last year.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Just reading this makes me sooo angry!! Prick! Excuse my language!!

Any who... What bothers me is people who stay on the cardio machines longer than the allotted 30 minutes. Don't wipe up their sweat from the machines. And bad B.O. It's called deodorant people!! Use it if you know youre going to be working out!!