Calories burned riding a MOTORCYCLE...

Options

Replies

• d3va
    d3va Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    :wink: Just to throw it out there.... I don't count the 60 cal per hour burned while sleeping.

If i'm riding, I don't count, if I'm driving, a longer than normal trip, I'd count it!

Just my opinion.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    LOL! I never would have thought of it as an exercise! Awesome! :)
  • bigmommyjudy
    bigmommyjudy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks it sure helped me out!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lmqm9zqpL91qls1c7o1_500.jpg
  • Gusman14
    Gusman14 Posts: 94
    Options
    Riders know. Others just can't understand if they haven't done it. I ride a 650 dual sport, old guy but dirt riding burns my energy. It's like explaining what it's like to be a guy to my wife. She might understand the words I am saying but it's like me saying I "get childbirth". No I don't. I understand it, work in healthcare and have helped with multiple births, but I can't "get it". It's OK. Riders get it.

I ride a DR650 and I'm old also. I know for sure that I am burning calories at a decent rate. I know when I ride dirt that I am burning way more calories than my road rides. I will start tracking calories for riding now for sure.

IMAG0160.jpg
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Motorcross... probably. Harley... no.

If it doesn't raise your heart rate (from exertion) and make you sweat, it doesn't count.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I ride a '69 BSA. I could probably log some of my f'ing marathon kickstarting sessions, but the ride... probably not. :)
  • AyoTondy
    AyoTondy Posts: 1
    Options
    this gives me more reason to get on my zx10 everyday. !!!!! 80° in Dallas
  • bigbear167
    bigbear167 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    awesome!! and I thought riding was just wind therapy. oh and riding in the city traffic or crowded freeway will definitely get
    your heart rate up..lol
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    had both my bikes MOT'd this week so I'll definitely get riding
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    good gawd. The denial is strong in this thread... How are people this clueless to actually believe this is exercise?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Riding a bike uses loads more energy than sitting in a tin box but calories is the wrong unit of energy IMO.

For example - being at the Isle of Man TT races, including scaring yourself with a few fast laps, watching how the pros do it, riding around aimlessly etc. is the energy equivalent of a full English breakfast, 8 pints of beer a day and a cheese and chip butty with curry sauce at silly o'clock in the morning.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options

If it doesn't raise your heart rate (from exertion) and make you sweat, it doesn't count.

Why not? You burn calories sleeping.

Lighten up folks, sheesh.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Why not? You burn calories sleeping.

Lighten up folks, sheesh.
    yes. thats bmr. the same as riding a bike.
  • GetMyGearOnGirl
    GetMyGearOnGirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on this, i have been trying to find it.
  • GeriWemhoff
    GeriWemhoff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everyone rides differently and in different situations. In the MC I ride with, even the most fit rider is phycially exhasted from running a 120 mile poker run in 80+ degree weather through twisties, in a pack. If you claim to ride or had ridden in some point in your life and did not feel exhausted after a day of riding, you need to take your training wheels off. Should it be considered a workout. Sure, but be realistic about how much hard riding you actually did. Tail of the Dragon? Hell yes. Down the street to 7-11? Hell no. And if you've never ridden your own ride ever in your life, you shouldn't even be posting your ridiculous comments on this thread.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lmqm9zqpL91qls1c7o1_500.jpg
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have seen many bike riders in my day ( most) are not petite of frame this made me lol
    questions to ask your self before you log it lol
    did you gain weight in the time since you have had the bike??
    same as logging house work most of us got fat while doing that sooooo !!!!!
    ride and enjoy but I wouldn't be eating those calories lolol
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I just started riding a little ninja 250. I didn't think it was a big deal until tonight at work I realized after three-four days of riding for a few hours to five or six each day (my first week ever riding) that I'm simply EXHAUSTED. I didn't think it would be that many calories and I haven't yet looked at my bodymedia fit spikes in depth to see how exactly they relate, but I know that there are a few spikes of vigorous activity while I was riding. Maybe it happened when I first hit the freeway for the first time? Maybe I got stuck in a few intersections for a shifting error... no idea. BUT I know as it fits into my week, I'm definitely burning MORE calories than before... my neck is killing me. My hands hurt from all the pressure of leaning and when I'm in town or stuck at a light because I couldn't get into first gear and I have to PUSH that thing forward to try to shift down because the bike is dumb... my legs are tired!

I love riding, I know I'm hooked for life. I'll probably pick a future bike thats normal and not quite so complicated when it comes to shifting back down to first. I don't think I'd burn as many calories, but I know that it works my body VERY differently than just walking and I know I am definitely going to view it as a great way to squeeze in a few hundred more calories into my day if I'd like.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I checked that website, I'd say it would be about accurate to the basic riding I measured my calories while in my motorcycle class during the five hour riding portion. Nearly 200 calories per hour. Not like running, but who cares. Its pretty close :D