Calories burned riding a MOTORCYCLE...

Options

Replies

• Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've seen some strange stuff on this forum, but this takes the cake. Those are burned calories I will not be logging....
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a trackday coming up in August and I will wear my HRM for it. I would say that riding on track, or racing will elevate the heart rate and will certainly count as exercise.. Each track session is 20 mins, of which I'll guess 15 minutes will see a HR over 120 as riding a bike fast is a physical job.

Riding off road is also a strenuous effort and so is easily able to be counted as proper work.

Riding on the roads/street is nowhere near intense enough to count.

@ the chap who has ridden 1500 miles a day - I struggle to believe this. Including fuel stops and piss breaks then you are needing to be averaging approx 90mph...for 24hrs? or for 20hrs? Sorry..that is a blag, but good effort nonetheless :)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    So, you all get slightly out of breath while riding?

Much as a dig bikes, this thread has the aroma of wishful thinking.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I checked that website, I'd say it would be about accurate to the basic riding I measured my calories while in my motorcycle class during the five hour riding portion. Nearly 200 calories per hour. Not like running, but who cares. Its pretty close :D
    you do understand about 75% of that number would have been burned anyway right?? its nothing like running because that burn is all bmr....

as for your bodyparts being sore, hey heres a thought. stand still and bend over for an hour. zomg, bet your body will be killing you. all that standing still not moving must be exercise because everything is so sore!!!!

seriously, youre in denial. riding is not exercise, but by all means, keep dreaming that it is.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have a trackday coming up in August and I will wear my HRM for it. I would say that riding on track, or racing will elevate the heart rate and will certainly count as exercise.. Each track session is 20 mins, of which I'll guess 15 minutes will see a HR over 120 as riding a bike fast is a physical job.

Riding off road is also a strenuous effort and so is easily able to be counted as proper work.

@ the chap who has ridden 1500 miles a day - I struggle to believe this. Including fuel stops and piss breaks then you are needing to be averaging approx 90mph...for 24hrs? or for 20hrs? Sorry..that is a blag, but good effort nonetheless :)
    hrms do not work for activity like this. any number it gives will laughably be inflated....
  • OnceAgain2013
    OnceAgain2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd equate riding my Harley to light stretching. Is it strenuous? No. Do you raise your heart rate? I do when I'm riding on the interstate in heavy traffic where people aren't paying attention. It's much better than sitting at work indoors or at home on the couch. Everyone should ride a bike and get some vitamin D and fresh air and enjoy the freedom every day. Should you track the calories? Hell no.
  • austinhealth
    Options
    All I know is, that riding a 750 pound two wheel streak of lightening through hair pin turns and up and down hills and through twisties more crooked than a rattlesnake, at a speed 30 to 40 mph over the "suggested" speed for a particular turn can not only get your heart rate up but is also a lot of work. Keeping the Bike on the road and upright, whilst fighting the effects of the force of the wind on your upper torso and all the other maneuvers involved definitely is burning some calories. Would I consider it a workout probably not. To say that riding a motorcycle is about like sitting on the couch IMHO would be a naive statement made by someone that has never experienced the thrill, exhilaration, and freedom of riding a motorcycle!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I took a 17 minute dump this morning and burned 118 calories!

I'm owning that one.
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

hrms do not work for activity like this. any number it gives will laughably be inflated....

Well - I wore the HRM on track and the end result.. I am obviously too fit as my rate peaked at 96bpm.

So, I would say that you do not burn bugger all extra calories while riding a a road bike.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is funny. Regardless of what anyone believe, I wont be telling my spouse. Otherwise he will use it as an excuse to go out riding all day and call it exercising instead of what it really is..... fun times.
  • wordfreak
    wordfreak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents worth...While wearing my body media device it recorded 805 calories burned in 90 minutes while riding through the foothills. My resting MET is .85 and while riding it was 3.59. This netted about a 735 calories adjustment on myfitnesspal daily log. My wife burned 471 calories with an avg MET of 3.53. Her resting MET is .79.
  • jtshahan
    jtshahan Posts: 1
    Options
    My two cents worth on this subject: I compared to the "mowing lawn - riding mower" in the exercise database. It showed 247 calories per hour for me. I reduced that to 200 per hour, just to allow for some difference, and saved as my own exercise in my database. Since I am the driver, working arms and legs during entire drive, this seem like a reasonable comparison.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You can also burn calories sitting on the couch and watching tv, it doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea to try to log it.

Just consider it an extra calorie bonus, without logging it. The amount burned would most likely be negligible, anyway.
  • amberbrownale
    amberbrownale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says riding a motorcycle doesn't burn extra calories:

Doesn't ride.

B) 'Nuff said.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    1000 calories per half hour.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says riding a motorcycle doesn't burn extra calories:

Doesn't ride.

B) 'Nuff said.

^^ This! Ninja ZX6R...we have twisties around here that make 'The Dragon' blush....lol .
    I get half a workout, taking the bike grocery shopping to Walmart, just by dodging cars and coal trucks....
    Ride safe!

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This should be included in your daily activity level. Eating these back will undoubtedly undo a calorie deficit.
  • metstertrish
    metstertrish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ever gone down the interstate on a motorcycle, streetfighter without most of its fairings, going 80 mph for an hour.. going to a destination and then do the same thing going back for an hour against the wind? That is a long time to hold your body in one position and maintain balance, especially if you're tucking behind a windshield. The first time I did that... I was so sore I could hardly move the next day. More sore than if i had just did a very intense work out at the gym for the same amount of time.That might not be proof of calories burnt or how much, but that's proof of strength and resistance training if nothing else.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lmqm9zqpL91qls1c7o1_500.jpg

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    BURNS CALORIES. all the more reason to get out and ride my VFR more :)