What is a good substitute for potato chips?

Options
124»

Replies

• gauberger
    gauberger Posts: 3
    Options
    Kale chips are awesome and easy and inexpensive to make.

Roasted seaweed are great alternative for a salty fix too. http://www.traderjoes.com/pdf/onthecounter-seaweed.pdf
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Popcorn - you can make your own with kernels, a microwave, and a paper lunch bag. It's a great way to control your sodium and calories.

1) Put 3 tbsp of kernels in a paper lunch bag
    2) Fold the bag down 1/2" at a time until you have 3-4 folds
    3) Lay the bag on its side in the microwave
    4) Use the popcorn setting or microwave on high, listening for the pops to become a few seconds apart
    5) Season and serve (I like to use kosher salt and garlic powder)

First time I tried this the popcorn burned well before the Popcorn setting on my microwave finished. The second time I had great results though. Because I just wanted 2 cups here is what I did:

1) Put 1 Tablespoon corn kernels in lunch bag
    2) Pointing the can toward the kernels in bottom of bag, quickly spray a slight bit of Butter Flavor PAM on kernels
    3) Fold the bag down 1/2" at a time until you have 3-4 folds
    4) Lay bag on its side on a paper plate
    5) Place paper plate in microwave
    6) Use Popcorn setting or microwave on high, listening for the pops to become farther apart and then remove from microwave
    7) Season and serve. I used Lite Salt to season.
    8) 1 Tablespoon kernels made 2 cups popped corn.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    For salty and crunchy, I munch on pork skins. I enjoy the taste, 80 cals a serving, and zero carbs! Yay!
  • vzvghg
    vzvghg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been tricking myself for a few years with whole wheat Melba Toast and either Humus or Guacamole.
    128 calories for 8 portions and 60 cals for 2 tablespoons, if I read that correctly.

Usually eat 2 x 128 and 120 cals of Guacamole for total of 376 cals.
    The Guac is good for you and the Melba toast is ok.

I would like to find a non-wheat substitute for the Melba Toast but I'd want it to be under the 128 like the Melba.

The Melba toast has a pretty good crunch and savoury flavour and is quite filling, unlike a lot of "fake chips".

Now I'm looking for something even healthier, if that's possible!

Might try baking Kale next. Melba is so convenient! No Baking!!!
    Haven't checked the cals yet, but Kale may be better than Melba.