Switched snacks and lost 5 pounds

My mornng snack id always a protein and a carb.

Usually some sort of low fat cheese and high fiber cracker.

While attempting to lower my cholesterol I read that nuts were a good source of protein.

So I switched my snack to a piece of fruit and some sort of nut instead.

Without changing any other habits (I was at a plateau for a very long time) I dropped 5 pounds in a week.

Just thought I would share.

Replies

• Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    I need to get some more nuts. Which kind are the best to keep on hand? Almonds?
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    very cool!!
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    awesome!!!

i just starting eating nuts for snacks again too.

hope it helps me too!

thanks for the post!
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Nice man..........must feel good! Keep on keepin' on.
  • Excellent!!

Will have to give this ago.

What sort are you eating ?
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    How many nuts do you eat?
    People always say they keep you full but I am always hungry after a handful...
  • 4Rewards
    4Rewards Posts: 2
    Fantastic! Way to go!
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Thanks for the reminder! I always forget about nuts as a snack!
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    What kind of nut? I usually eat almonds for snack.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    That is awesome!
    I am practicing my eating schedule for next week when I go back to work teaching...it really helps to have my body regulated to eat/pee on a schedule since I can't just leave my classroom or have a sandwich whenever.
    I have done steel cut oats and a banana in the AM, then 1/4 c of almonds at 9:30...and that has been keeping me full until 12:30. At first I was concerned since they are high in fat and cals, but if it keeps me full it is worth every cal!
    Thanks for sharing, and keep up the hard work!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.

I have been enjoying nuts and butters for a while as snacks.. love it! I too leave out the processed carbs...
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Tree nuts are the best for you! Almonds, pistachios, macadamias, nuts like that. Limit yourself to one serving though because they are high in fat, albeit a good fat!!!
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Nuts are one of the best snacks, Almonds are yummy
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Great job!

I heard an easy way to measure a serving of nuts is to scoop out a shot glass full. Not that I have that sort of thing around the house! lol:laugh: :blushing:
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    People stay away from nuts as a snack because it's so easy to overeat of them. A serving is just a few of any given nut (peanuts are not nuts). Check the food database for how many nuts of a type to eat for a serving. I tend to use them more for garnishes, because I just don't feel like I get to eat long enough to be satisfied.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Almonds, pinenuts, brazilnuts, pecans, cashews, macadamia, pistachios... Anything raw and organic. To feel full and to get the full health benefits you have to really chew them well.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    I use to do the same thing with the low fat cheese until I actually looked at the the sodium one day. Tons of sodium. Good switch and thanks for the info!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    I buy the almonds at Costco and keep them in the freezer. That way they stay nice and fresh. I take a little container to work for the week.

I think mixing them with a piece of fruit makes it a heartier snack and keeps in line woth the diabetic way of mixing your fat, carb and protein the right way.

I think that's why it worked.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    I need to get some more nuts. Which kind are the best to keep on hand? Almonds?

That is what I prefer! You can get the no salted kind and they still taste great!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Wonderful!!! Nuts are a great snack. The results far outweighs the fats that people think they have. They are GOOD fat!!!!! Almonds, and for a sweet little something, Emerald dark cocoa almonds are really yummy!!!! FYI, 24 almonds is 1 oz. or 1 serving.