Half of men would ditch woman who gained weight: poll

Options
I_give_it_2_u_str8
I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
Found the link on reuters, but the original poll was done on askmen.com

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/26/us-sexes-survey-idUSTRE76P5CU20110726

Just thought that was interesting - since this is a heavily female dominated forum, what do all you ladies think?

Edit: The original poll can be found here, along with many other questions men answered regarding dating & sex, and lifestyle.

http://www.askmen.com/specials/great_male_survey/

Replies

• Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Ooooh this is gonna get fat and ugly--err, ugly really quick.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    In other news, it turns out that half of all men are idiots. Hmmm, coincidence? I think not!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    I think we live in a very shallow society where we feel we can replace anything or anyone at any given second.
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Would half of women leave a man if gained weight?
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    The "real" problem:

Men get married expecting she won't change.
    Women get married expecting to change him.

:laugh:
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I gained 15 pounds and he didn't leave....15 may not seem like a lot, but I'm short....so I looked like an oompa loompa. Eh, weight is gone and he said it really didn't matter, but he is happy because I was happy
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to defend men here (even though i'm a woman)

MAYBE it's not about being shallow, or even about the weight gain. MAYBE the woman just perceives it that way.

Sometimes when someone gains weight, with that weight comes insecurity, jealousy, low self esteem, depression, all of which can be VERY hard to deal with on a daily basis. When someone becomes insecure, jealous, depressed, etc it affects their daily living and that of those around them. It's not easy to live with someone who hates themselves (for whatever reason).

It's not always about the weight of the person, but what comes with the gain. There can be a lot of negative side effects to weight gain that have nothing to do with appearance. Some of which, could ruin relationships.
  • Mdbondurant
    Mdbondurant Posts: 104
    Options
    Alot of men look for reasons to justify their "ill" behaviour, hence would break up over even less. I am thinking men of quality would not do such things...
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    well since over half of all men are ferocious liars and the other 80% don't know WHAT they want, I wouldn't pay too much attention to silly polls.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Pttthhhbbtttt. Askmen.com. I've read that site. Among my friends (male and female), we call it, "Askmen... then do the opposite."

It's a site catering that unique sub-culture of men* who are ridiculously insecure, and yet suffer from delusions of grandeur.

* commonly referred to as "wankers" or "douches."
  • shiggyshane
    shiggyshane Posts: 215
    Options
    hmmm for me it depends i mean a few pounds is ok we will naturally gain weight as we get older if we dont
    stay in shape of course but if its getting out of hand i would speak up to my women and let her know its not
    healthy for her that she is putting on so much weight and maybe we could change are earting habits together
    and she can come excerice with me at the gym...
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I worked in market research so I know how easily misleading polls like this can be; First of all, how old are they? Young men can be shallow, but they grow out of it, so age must be taken into account. Second, if the men aren't or haven't been in love before they might not realise weight doesn't matter as much - a man who's just had casual relationships doesn't have the same experience as a man who is truly in love with his partner, who probably wouldn't leave due to weight gain. And we don't know what kinda guy it is - if it's someone that works out a lot they probably would consider weight control more important than a man who wasn't into exercise etc. Also, how much weight we talking? I mean I'm in a good relationship but I'm not in love with him yet, and honestly if he put on like 10 stone I probably would consider leaving.

Just sayin.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to defend men here (even though i'm a woman)

MAYBE it's not about being shallow, or even about the weight gain. MAYBE the woman just perceives it that way.

Sometimes when someone gains weight, with that weight comes insecurity, jealousy, low self esteem, depression, all of which can be VERY hard to deal with on a daily basis. When someone becomes insecure, jealous, depressed, etc it affects their daily living and that of those around them. It's not easy to live with someone who hates themselves (for whatever reason).

It's not always about the weight of the person, but what comes with the gain. There can be a lot of negative side effects to weight gain that have nothing to do with appearance. Some of which, could ruin relationships.
    The lady talks sence

I speak from personal experience I guess I am just lucky that I have a man that loves me and as he puts it 'will take a bit more than my crazy ways and a bit of weight to put him off. he loves me for me'

However he knows I am not happy with my weight and supports me anyway.

I think if you truely loved the person it would take more than weight to put a man off a woman.
  • jamie78
    Options
    I think it depends.. If someone gains alot of weight because the decide to be lazy and just lay around and eat all day.. and refuse to do nothing about it... Then yes I think a man or woman would not be in the wrong doing so. . WHO wants to watch someone kill themselves slowly and on purpose.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    ALthough on another point one of my OH's work colleaugues dumped his girlfriend the other week for gaining about 10 lbs.
    However he was cheating on her and when my BF questioned him about it he said
    'half to have a firm grip on the next branch until you let go of the last one'
    Ashamed to say I did giggle a bit at that, but not at his actions.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    well since over half of all men are ferocious liars and the other 80% don't know WHAT they want, I wouldn't pay too much attention to silly polls.
    over half
    the other 80%

I'm praying to the FSM that this is a troll post.
  • jamie78
    Options
    over half
    the other 80%

I'm praying to the FSM that this is a troll post.

haha
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I worked in market research so I know how easily misleading polls like this can be; First of all, how old are they? Young men can be shallow, but they grow out of it, so age must be taken into account. Second, if the men aren't or haven't been in love before they might not realise weight doesn't matter as much - a man who's just had casual relationships doesn't have the same experience as a man who is truly in love with his partner, who probably wouldn't leave due to weight gain. And we don't know what kinda guy it is - if it's someone that works out a lot they probably would consider weight control more important than a man who wasn't into exercise etc. Also, how much weight we talking? I mean I'm in a good relationship but I'm not in love with him yet, and honestly if he put on like 10 stone I probably would consider leaving.

Just sayin.

70,000 men were polled from across canada, us, uk, and australia so i believe there was a good cross-section of age.
    i believe ~40% of the men polled answered they were 'single' - you can draw your own conclusions.

edit; the validity of the poll hasnt come into question. this poll is carried on an anual basis and has been quoted by CNN, reuters and many other legit sources.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    In other news, it turns out that half of all men are idiots. Hmmm, coincidence? I think not!

bahaha truth, but the women who married them are idiots too if they didn't know how vain their husbands were already. i think both parties are at fault there.