Question for those of you who lost 20 pounds or more

Options

Replies

• h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    I've lost a total of 30 by just watching what I eat. I only used this site to journal, count calories, and have others cheer me on/hold me accountable (and hopefully I do the same for them). I haven't really been able to exercise due to a knee injury...
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    This site alone along with exercise have contributed to my 40 lbs loss. The support here is what has really gotten me through as well =)
  • mislmar
    mislmar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24 lbs in about 3 months and just use MFP to keep up with calories. I use slim fast twice a day and eat a healthy dinner with lots of veggies. Also cut out any regular soda and walk some on the treadmill. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • jujudot
    jujudot Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've only used this site & the app on my phone. I tried counting/exercising on my own, but didn't do so well. Since I've been using MFP I'm on the move! :smile:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 50some pounds (212 to 158) without MFP or any other website or program. The first fifteen was giving up fast food cold turkey -- they just melted away. Then I start writing down calories (only calories, no exercise or anything else) in a notebook. Ten pounds after that I knew I had it down and lost the rest with increasingly good habits: improving my diet more and more as I became educated on food (thanks, Michael Pollan), consuming a TON of salad, doing Turbo Jam, and learning to cook for myself.

I only came to MFP when I couldn't budge past the 158 mark. It has been great :)
  • cmarshel
    cmarshel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    - This website for tracking
    - MFP friends for wisdom, inspiration, and encouragement
    - exercise (any form of it)
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Just this site!
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I lost my 20 with exercise and diet plus this and other calorie counting websites.
    For some reason, I thought that adding Weight watchers to the mix would push be me farther( even though in the past it had not) and like the past nothing. So From now on ( espcially with the barcode scanner) I will be using MFP only.
  • BeccaStearns
    Options
    I used MFP and mapmywalk.com. I also have a group of us on facebook that keep each other motivated.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    MFP! I might have lost a few pounds in the time between when I said, "Ok, I gotta do something" and finding this site, but I didn't have the nerve to get on scale before then, so I don't know. :wink:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    41 pounds down using MFP.
    It keeps me on track with doing exactly what I know I need to do - eat healthier food (not too little, not too much) and exercise more.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I use this site for I was not aware of how many calories I ate a day and calories burned until I could actually see them. This site helped me physically see what was going on and not guess.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I used weight watchers online lost 36lbs. Then I found this place lost another 4lbs. I love MPF so I'll be letting WW go in the next month.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22 lbs (gained a bit back) but I did it all from exercising and counting calories. I plan on re-losing what I gained and the other 21 lbs the same way.
  • rainbowbrite1979
    Options
    I have used only this site since February (I have had the app for around a month). I'm not the greatest with exercising, yet, but I plan to put more of a focus on that soon. I eat pretty healthy, but I don't deprive myself. If I want one (or two) of those snack size chocolates, I have it just as long as it doesn't make me go over my suggested caloric intake. Good luck to you!
  • Davidfwiseman
    Davidfwiseman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eliminated virtually all carbs like breads and pastas. It was hard at first, because I'm a carb addict. After not eating pasta for a while I tried some and the satisfaction I expected from eating it was not there. At the Walmart Deli I fount these Marketside salads for 200 calories each. They are surprisingly filling and satisfying. There are 5-6 different kinds. I've lost 60 lbs since December. Good luck!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I eliminated virtually all carbs like breads and pastas. It was hard at first, because I'm a carb addict. After not eating pasta for a while I tried some and the satisfaction I expected from eating it was not there. At the Walmart Deli I fount these Marketside salads for 200 calories each. They are surprisingly filling and satisfying. There are 5-6 different kinds. I've lost 60 lbs since December. Good luck!

I hope the ones at your Walmart are smaller than the ones here . . . because the Marketside salads my aunt buys for her and her kids are like 500-700 calories :P

But congrats on your weight loss either way :D
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just this site!
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I really like MFP and I was just wondering if you used this website alone or did you do something else to loose the weight. I know the diet and exercising part but I'm just curious if you used something else like Weight Watchers or another website as well as MFP.

CONGRATS on loosing the weight by the way!!!!

Thanks for the congrats, but I'm just getting started. A long ways to go.

I was pointed at MFP by a professional nutritionist. I'm following her plan; I just use MFP as a tracking tool. And, increasingly, as my online social life as well. Hello, friends!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast
    Grapefruit Diet
    Peel a Pound soup
    Atkins
    Weight Watchers (3 or 4 times)
    Jenny Craig
    The Diet Solution
    and probably a bunch of others that I can’t remember.

They all worked to a certain extent, but I always gained some of it back when I quit. I quit because they were boring,
    seemed like a gimmick, didn’t seem healthy, etc. My most success was with Weight Watchers, but since I have now changed my lifestyle instead of dieting, I wanted to be more in control, so now I’m trying MFP. So far, I really enjoy it.