"Eat everything in moderation" VENT!

Options
i'm SO sick of hearing "eat everything in moderation".... For the majority of people it might be great! But when you're a food addict it's SO hard.

I'm not sure if its just me, but speaking as a food addict, I cant eat "everything in moderation". It's all or nothing- I have trigger foods (being anything that tastes good), and once I consume that, it' can be hard to stop (not always- but most of the time.)

In my opinion, food addicts are comparable to any other type of drug addict- except, the sucky thing is that food food addicts- cant live without food- drug addicts can live without drugs. It's a hard situation: I have to face my addiction everyday (just like every other addict), but meanwhile, I still have to consume my addiction. You don't tell a crack head "Oh, just a little bit of crack in moderation."-- then why tell a food addict "oh, just a little bit of everything in moderation."

I honestly can't stand this- my family and friends say it to me all the time- they probably don't understand, and that's OK.... but, in all honesty, if it tastes good, its so hard for me to eat it in moderation. There is no detox program for food addicts, there's no going "cold turkey"- we need to eat to live.

I know this is might be a confusing "rant"- I'm just irritated right now. People have been nagging me about calorie intake (I eat around 1000, and my Dr. is aware), but its only because of this food addiction- i can't overcome it physically until I can overcome it mentally- and I can't overcome in mentally right now if I eat everything in "moderation"- it just doesn't work like that.

Ok, done.

Any advice? Am I the only one who feels like this?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the "everything in moderation" people, but I also have my trigger foods. If I have cake, candy, ice cream, or anything sweet, I crave sugar all day. I literally can't think about anything except MOAR CAKE! So I don't have those things, unless I can arrange to have just a small serving in the evening when my stomach is already full so I won't keep stuffing my face. But there are some things that I *can* stop at just one, like chips, and so I allow myself those things.

Bottom line is, you know your limits. If you feel you can't have those things, then don't, and if somebody brings it up, you can always just tell them, "I really feel satisfied right now and don't need that (insert trigger food here), thank you." A lot of times people are really looking for you to give THEM permission to eat it. They know they don't need that junk either, and if you don't have it, you're just reminding them that they're not perfect. So give them that permission. Let them know that you'll be happy to sit and chat with them while they have their food so they know you're not going to be offended or bothered, and then drop the subject. They're adults, they can make their own food choices, and you shouldn't have to join in if you don't want to.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    "Eat everything in moderation" is a weak-minded person's way of saying "it's ok if I eat alot of high trans fat food, sweets, sodas and all the other crap processed food as long as I don't eat alot of it"

Nonsense.

You could eat things in moderation, go over your calorie intake limit and gain weight.

So yea I agree, it's a bull**** term.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I agree! I have trigger foods too....mainly anything that tastes good, but especially Pizza and BBQ brisket.
  • kezell83
    kezell83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Nope your not alone at all. I have screamed this for the last several years. When you have that kind of addiction its hard to stop at one serving especially when that serving looks like it wont even fill up my four year old. And I know that its a mental thing. Something that you want control over but cant seem to have the will power at times. We have to just keep trying at it. We will eventually overcome. But I am like you. Its either all or none. Cant be In moderation for me. Because if it tasts good. I will eat it even tho i am not hungry. But because its there.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    II cant eat "everything in moderation". It's all or nothing- I have trigger foods (being anything that tastes good), and once I consume that, it' can be hard to stop (not always- but most of the time.)

Same exact situation here, If I start eating something really like, I basically say **** it and then have 3 times as much as i should have and then feel like crap afterwards because I know I just ruined my entire day's diet.

So I simply don't eat foods that I know will cause me to do that.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I was so addicted to red meat. I can't just have a bite of a quarter pounder without consuming it all. And pizza? How can you just take one bite? (or in my case eat just one piece?) There are foods that I NEVER eat anymore. I no longer eat candybars, candy or cake and I only eat red meat maybe once a month now. I have to say that when I do stick to just a serving of something that is a trigger food I am feel quite proud. I get the 100 calorie brownie packs because I LOVE brownies. It is hard to not open multiple packs so I only eat them after dinner when I am mostly full.
  • GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I'm so glad ya'll agree. The thing is people look at mye like I'm crazy ecause I don't allow myself chocolate, because if I eat it- I binge.... I'm so overweight- I can't afford that. I'm not healthy. My body can't afford any more trans fat, cholesterol or "unnatural" and "unhealthy "calories

For example, those "100 calorie packs" they ahve out of junk food. Sure, i'd love to eat one- but I won't. I'll eat 2 or 3-- there's an entire candy bar. Even so, those 100 calories are filled with CRAP instead of 100 calories worth of something that contains way more nutrition. i guess my point is- I'm not eating like this because it tastes good, I don't want it to taste good--- I want to eat to live, not eat to live... and I can't do that if I'm making a pleasurable connection with eating.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Moderation in this case simply refers to restricting your intake by some measure. If you can't have any of a food without triggering a craving, then moderation in this case = zero.

Eat in moderation isn't a weak minded thing at all though. In fact it probably takes more self-control to lower your intake than it is to cut it out completely.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, when I started my lifestyle change there were a few things I had to just say no to. I haven't eaten chips, cheesecake or a cream sauce since April12th. But I also haven't drunk coffee, full fat coke, milky tea or put extra salt on my food. The former I used to crave ALL the time, loved them. The latter I liked but really could do with or without. However some sick side of my brain gives me extra brownie points and a pat on the back every day I don't drink coffee. It's not something I can't live without but my brain doesn't seem to comprehend that so my advice is....
    With the foods you really crave and want, banish them for a few weeks but also banish some foods that you like but don't crave. Your brain will congratulate you and make you feel better about giving up the other things.
    It may not work for everyone, maybe I like to play games with my brain but it has certainly worked for me.
    Hope this helps
    :-)
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I have trigger foods, too. I have a history with disordered eating (both under AND over eating in extreme) and have taken the path of trying to only "eat to live, not live to eat" several times. It has never worked for me long term.

I am now one who strives for "everything in moderation". I am trying very hard to get away from my "all or nothing" thinking. And sometimes my attempts at allowing myself everything in moderation end badly (binge), but for the most part, I'm slowly becoming the kind of eater that I've always wanted to be.
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options
    Different strokes, different folks. What works for me, may not work for others. Etc, etc.

Personally? I eat in moderation. I do not deny myself any of the things I enjoy or like, I just cut back on how much and how often I eat them. I also try something new every week because who knows? I may discover a new favorite that isn't "bad for me."

If I deny myself one of the things I love to eat, then I become sort of obsessed with it and wind up binging on it. By allowing myself these things, I never become obsessed. All I need is a taste of it and I'm good.

That may not work for others.

Basically, figure out what works for you and gets you to your goals and that is all that matters. I pretty much ignore the experts and the advice of others because I know my own body and I know what works for me.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Moderation in this case simply refers to restricting your intake by some measure. If you can't have any of a food without triggering a craving, then moderation in this case = zero.

Eat in moderation isn't a weak minded thing at all though. In fact it probably takes more self-control to lower your intake than it is to cut it out completely.

Couldn't have put it more perfectly.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    When I started my new "life style" (another term that makes me vomit in my mouth a little) I truly thought that doing this for a few months would change my mindset, that I wouldn't actually want a whole packet of biscuits anymore, that I would be content with treats in moderation - ie 1 biscuit.
    You know what, I'm doing this 6 months and have had great results, have reached target weight, am fit blahdieblah, but I STILL want the whole packet of biscuits, I STILL want a family-sized pack of crisps. The real Mairgheal is still a greedy couch potato.

But I keep fighting it, I'm not going to let go, and every time I fall off the wagaon, I try to get right back on the next day. I wouldn't call myself a food addict, I refuse to be labelled, but this is going to be a life-long battle, for sure.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    no body has trigger foods sorry to say!
    it is triggers that make you eat foods..i.e stress,emotion and bordom...if you can beat these the rest comes easy!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    "Eat everything in moderation" is a weak-minded person's way of saying "it's ok if I eat alot of high trans fat food, sweets, sodas and all the other crap processed food as long as I don't eat alot of it"

Nonsense.

You could eat things in moderation, go over your calorie intake limit and gain weight.

So yea I agree, it's a bull**** term.
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge others just because their way is different from mine. It's not weak if you can truly moderate everything as to stay within your limits and see great results. I have my occasional french fries and ice cream, but I make sure I log everything, get at least 90g protein (usually 100-120g) and 22g fiber (usually 28g+) AND stay within my calorie limit for the day.

If you're "eating in moderation" and still go over + gain weight because of it, that's not enough moderation. That's just an excuse, unless you're in the middle of weaning off your bad habits or something.

To the OP: I'm not in the same boat, but I have a brother who can probably relate. He's been abstaining from his favorite fried foods because he's a volume eater.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel. I have tried "everything in moderation" and on those weeks I usually end up going overboard. I allow myself to eat certain things as long as I log them, though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I say rant on!! You are obviously aware of your own limitations and working to overcome them. I believe that one day you may be able to do some of your favorites in moderation, but only you will know if or when that's true. Stay strong and best of luck to you!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    it is triggers that make you eat foods..i.e stress,emotion and bordom...if you can beat these the rest comes easy!

That's simply not true. If there is a bag of Cheetos in the house I'm going to eat that bag of Cheetos no matter what my mood is. And that's why I have a "no Cheetos allowed" rule in my house.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

That's simply not true. If there is a bag of Cheetos in the house I'm going to eat that bag of Cheetos no matter what my mood is. And that's why I have a "no Cheetos allowed" rule in my house.

Yep. Trigger foods are real. Maybe YOU don't have trigger foods, but some of us do. For me, it's sugar. And pizza.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

I disagree 100%. I can be perfectly content and hungry for something that isn't my cooking. If we go somewhere like Chili's I have no problem eating until I'm satisfied and then stopping....if we hit a BBQ joint or Pizza, I eat until I'm full, then I eat some more until I'm on the verge of vomitting. I agree that people have trigger emotions, but there are also trigger foods that make that part of our brain that says "It's ok to stop" shut off.