Smoking

Options
I am tired of being an oxymoron, the smoking vegetarian. I am on my way to giving up the cancer sticks, but it has been hard. I am slowly cutting down the number of cigarettes I smoke week by week. What is a good way to occupy myself without eating so much food?

I am currently in culinary school and working in a bakery, so I am fairly busy and almost always surrounded by food. I would love to start exercising but these heat waves and rainy days are killing my motivation. Just to give you a small background

Replies

• kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i too am trying to find the ?strength to give up smoking. i am afraid it will ruin everything i have done so far in my weight loss journey. have you set a "quit date"?
  • purplebtrfly187
    Options
    I quit smoking last year, and I found reading a book to help. If you have the oral fixation, try snacking on carrot sticks or celery.

As for the exercising, buy a mini cycle, they are about 20-40 dollars. And you can sit and watch tv or read a book in any chair.
  • mariewithers
    Options
    Good luck with kicking the habit, i have been off them for 6 months tomorrow, and since then I have lost 35lbs. Just DO NOT replace having a ciggie in your mouth with having food in there. Use nicotine replacements for the first few weeks if you struggle. Also save the money you would have spent on cigarettes and pay for a gym membership.
    Good luck.
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    I'd quit last July cold turkey only to start back again about 2 months ago; tired of the smell on my clothes so just quit again four days ago. I chew a lot of gum, sunflower seeds and have become addicted to the MIO water additive. Good luck with it, once you get past the need to constantly be doing something with your mouth it's ok. it's amazing how more aware you are of the rancid smell of smoke once you've quit.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I go the same struggle....Im bumping so I can read more later after work.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    I am struggling with quitting as well. And I do worry about gaining weight once I quit which I think is why I am stalling quitting. I plan on stocking up on sugar free gum and suckie candies and see how that goes. Good luck!
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy smoker for 10yrs. I watched my BF's mother die of lung cancer. To see wha the cancer and chemo and radiation did to her body made me realize I didn't want to die the same way. I quit over 6months ago with no turning back. I chewed a lot of gum drank a lot of water and gained 20lbs. I realized that 20lbs was just as bad as smoking so I'm not eating healthy as well. It wasn't easy but it can be done. I don't know if you are a christian but every time I wanted a smoke I'd pray God would take that away from me and keep me strong. I'm applying the same prayer method to my weight loss!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Gum, gum, gum.

I am also fortunate enough to work at a site where we have tunnels - so I will take a walk a few times a week.

It is a struggle - but I am doing fairly well.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I haven't smoked in 20 years,but I still smoke in a dream now and then! It does get deep into the corners of your brain.
  • CDeguc
    CDeguc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a little under a year ago and the hardest thing for me was stress. It's not always easy to remove yourself from stressful situations, but I did have to remove myself from being a social smoker. I found that the more I exercised, the less I craved a cigarette. I think the best way to keep exercising if the weather is not right, is to pop in a good workout video. I personally love P90X and Insanity and I'm working out to the hybrid plan right now. Sometimes it helps to have accountability partners in trying to quit smoking, just like when you're trying to get in shape. I know my husband helped me a lot when we both were quitting:0)
  • tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    good for you for working on it! I quit smoking a few years back... successfully, only to start back up again recently. sigh. I used Chantix which REALLY helped me a lot. as long as i took it on a full stomach I was fine. I did have some crazy dreams, but most of them were awesome! Anyway other things I did... when I was sitting still I had a sudoku book that i kept in my lap. kept a pen in my hand to play with, and that would keep me busy. I also found these great toothpicks at wholefoods that came in a little box and were mint or cinnamin flavored. they were awesome cos i'd chew on them, get a taste, and i'd even "ash" them, something to keep my hand and mouth busy. that helped a lot. Oh and btw i'm a vegetarian too! ;p good luck!
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have smoked for.... let's see.... do a little math.... (on a regular basis- one pack of Marlboro Light 100's a day) for..... 25 freaking YEARS?! Uggggh. I know that's terrible. Do i need to quit? YES! Do i think i'll ever be ready?... NO. I have had 'other' bad habits that i quit... but smoking aint one of them.:drinker:
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am so relieved there are so many of you on here that have struggled/are struggling with this. It seems as though so many people are kicking *kitten* logging meals, eating healthy, working out and no one smokes.

Quit date August 1st :fingers crossed:

I would love to chew gum but sadly, not all gum is vegan or easily labeled vegan.
    source: http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/593450.htm#10697

Gross, I know, and problematic. I think reading would be a nice option. When I am outside I don't really crave it as much because I love taking long walks and get out of breath easy if smoking. Mostly when I am watching French films or just movies in general. Lately I have just been refilling my 1.5 liter wine bottle with water and chugging it when I am craving something. Ridiculous I know.

I am just so terrified of gaining a lot of weight.
  • Chemmy
    Chemmy Posts: 23
    Options
    I used the nicotine replacement gum when I quit. I was toying with the idea of giving up then one day I spoke with an ex-smoker who made me decide that day to give up.

I was in the process of reducing my calorie and sugar intake at the time so I thought I would go the whole way and lose weight as well. I don't recall it being that difficult and I was off the gum in about 4 weeks.

Looking back on it I must have had some will power as changing my lifestyle in so many ways was drastic. I still have the craving now and again, like while talking about the subject, but it dissipates quickly. It's just so stupid putting that white stick in your mouth.

I would not be able to run like I can now if I was still smoking. You will feel better and the word 'life' will take on a new meaning. I just wish everyone who is looking to stop or in the process of stopping the best of luck.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Twenty year smoker, lazy, fat, no exercising at all until my 40th birthday Jauary 14th of this year. I quit smoking and didnt know what to do or how I was going to keep from starting back. Well, long story short, 40 pounds later, still not smoking, and exercising my butt off. One thing about smoking, you cant smoke and exercise to the best of your ability. You cant get on that mountain bike and knock out 5 to 10 miles without feeling like your lungs are gonna jump out of your chest. Same with any cardio machine. If you continue to smoke and try to exercise, you will not be getting the best results possible at all. Its a waste of your time. Those things are the devil!!! hahaha Good luck
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry I forget to mention, but water, water, and more water whenever you get that oral fixation feelin!
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    this probably isn't what you want to hear....but...for ME (and this is just me, not saying everyone) willpower was what was most important. I avoided alcohol for the first few weeks until I felt fairly confident, and when I made it through my first night of drinking without a cig, i was so proud of myself! So what worked for me was 1)setting not only a quit date but a quit time. I told myself i would NOT smoke in 2011, so I brought 1 cig to my NYE party I was at and smoked it at 11:30pm. 2) I told EVERYONE my plans to quit. I said "you will not see me smoke after dec 31". Having other people help hold me accountable was good, and people were SO motivating! Friends were skeptical, but when I would say "it's been two weeks" or "i'm at a month!" they were genuinely SO excited. And 3) just as someone else mentioned, you will become SO aware of how strong the smell is. I always thought I could smell smoke, or tell whether I smelled or not...if I smoked in the car on the way to see a friend, I'd pop a piece of gum and splash myself with some body spray and think i was fine...WRONG. People can walk by my cube at work, 10 feet away, and without looking up I know it's a smoker who just got back from break.

Good luck, you CAN do this! I kept a count-up on my nightstand so every morning I woke up and said "ok, today is day 5 without a cig"....I stopped counting when I got passed 30. (but i didn't stop rewarding myself :smile: )
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    oh, and I didn't gain any weight, as other people mentioned, you'll be able to work out more efficiently (it changed my workouts anyway!) and just be sure you dont replace smoking with snacking!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    good luck to all the potential quitters! YOU CAN DO THIS.

Just some motivation/inspiration: I actually GAINED 80 pounds as a pack-a-day smoker. I have lost 73.6 of it since quitting two years ago.

Just watch your portions and exercise most days, same as any other non-smoker, and you can still lose weight as a non-smoker. :flowerforyou:
  • sher711
    sher711 Posts: 2
    Options
    Another great supportive Web site is whyquit.com. I have stopped smoking and I went to that web site for the support. It has a quit meter that I found so helpful in regards to how much money I was saving, and adding days and years to my life. I agree with laurad it just makes you work out that much harder.Good Luck....The first 3 days are the worst so water water water!