yankeefamily05 Posts: 657
edited September 30 in Food and Nutrition
Fruit Loops, Funnell Cake, and Corn.

I need to know. It is really important.

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    High Fructose Corn syrup? Just a guess.
  • High Fructose Corn syrup? Just a guess.

Can children have a sensitivity to it?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    They're all sugar?
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Sugar.

Plain ole corn doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup, they have to process the heck out of the corn to make that.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    High Fructose Corn syrup? Just a guess.

Can children have a sensitivity to it?

Someone can certainly have a sensitivity to corn, which would also be in fruit loops and funnel cake as corn based fructose.
  • killagb
    Sugar.

Plain ole corn doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup, they have to process the heck out of the corn to make that.

It's the fact that the sugar is sourced from the corn, not sugar cane.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    They all start with F. Well, except for Corn. But 2 out of 3 start with F, so that's most of them. So if most of them start with F, they probably all do. Corn is probably spelled wrong.
  • Ok!

My daughter had these on 4 different occasions, all within the last 2 months. She doesn't get alot of " this kind of food" but when it happens, she gets sick. Stomach ache and vomitting. I am calling her pedi tomorrow.

I know this has nothing to do with fitness, but I knew if anyone would know what the relation between all 3 of them-it would be mfp'ers!
  • They all start with F. Well, except for Corn. But 2 out of 3 start with F, so that's most of them. So if most of them start with F, they probably all do. Corn is probably spelled wrong.

F meaning?

I don't get it. Fructose,?
  • killagb
    They all start with F. Well, except for Corn. But 2 out of 3 start with F, so that's most of them. So if most of them start with F, they probably all do. Corn is probably spelled wrong.

F meaning?

I think he's just being a funny guy. :huh:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

F meaning?

F. For facepalm. Everyone knows it's spelled "F-O-R-N", but silent F and replaced with a C.
  • hilarious.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    All are carbs..
  • All are carbs..

Yes. I realize that. I'm talking ingrediant wise. I should have been more clear:)
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Corn allergies are fairly common from my understanding. That would be my guess that is only thing these foods have in common from my understanding.
  • Corn allergies are fairly common from my understanding. That would be my guess that is only thing these foods have in common from my understanding.

Thank you for your serious answer! I really appreciate it!!!

The only thing is, If she has fresh corn on the cob, she has no problems with it. Its so weird.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Sugar.

It's the fact that the sugar is sourced from the corn, not sugar cane.

Correct, but not the point I was making :)
  • A friend of mine is allergic to corn. Very allergic. He cant eat anything with high fructose corn syrup, or any type of corn by product. it really hurt his health until they figured out what it was.
  • as a mom who has kids with food allergies, that's what it sounds like! Definitely call you practitioner. The difference with corn on the cob vs the other things is it isn't as concentrated (ie: corn syrup is boiled down!) Food allergies can be scary when they are young, but manageable.
    Good luck!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Corn allergies are fairly common from my understanding. That would be my guess that is only thing these foods have in common from my understanding.

The only thing is, If she has fresh corn on the cob, she has no problems with it. Its so weird.

So she only had reactions to the Froot Loops and funnel cake?
  • Corn allergies are fairly common from my understanding. That would be my guess that is only thing these foods have in common from my understanding.

So she only had reactions to the Froot Loops and funnel cake?

and canned corn.
  • as a mom who has kids with food allergies, that's what it sounds like! Definitely call you practitioner. The difference with corn on the cob vs the other things is it isn't as concentrated (ie: corn syrup is boiled down!) Food allergies can be scary when they are young, but manageable.
    Good luck!

She doesn't get hives or anything like that.
    she vomitts and has tummy issues.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    The weird thing is that if she was allergic to corn, she would be suffering a lot more... a LOT of processed foods if not all of them have corn in a way or another. What does she eat regularly? Someone else said carbs, It might have sounded annoying to you, but some people don't deal with carbs very well...

Make a list of the things she eats all the time and that she has no reaction to (maybe they have as much corn as fruit loops and you haven't noticed). Then go and show it to a doctor...
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    I have food sensitivities as well. Wheat, Cow dairy, Strawberries, peanuts, and a lot more. Sometimes I break out in hives, sometimes it's the tummy issues. Substitute and find what works best.

But wait, was there butter on the corn? It could be the butter and not the corn. The cake probably has butter as well, and the fruit loops, well, all the food dyes, they could be the culprit, but did she have the cereal with milk? It could be the milk, cow dairy, just like me. You can't just look at the food all the time, sometimes you have to look at what's on or in the food.

I use non-dairy butter, soy milk and/or goats milk, and I for baking, well that's near impossible without the wheat, but if wheat isn't an issue you could cook with the above as well.
  • Azuleelan
    as a mom who has kids with food allergies, that's what it sounds like! Definitely call you practitioner. The difference with corn on the cob vs the other things is it isn't as concentrated (ie: corn syrup is boiled down!) Food allergies can be scary when they are young, but manageable.
    Good luck!

She doesn't get hives or anything like that.
    she vomitts and has tummy issues.

That's an allergic reaction too. I'm allerlgic to dust and I "only" sneeze...
  • The weird thing is that if she was allergic to corn, she would be suffering a lot more... a LOT of processed foods if not all of them have corn in a way or another. What does she eat regularly? Someone else said carbs, It might have sounded annoying to you, but some people don't deal with carbs very well...

Make a list of the things she eats all the time and that she has no reaction to (maybe they have as much corn as fruit loops and you haven't noticed). Then go and show it to a doctor...

i wasn't annoyed. lol. I just realized I wasn't specific enough in what I was asking.
  • I have food sensitivities as well. Wheat, Cow dairy, Strawberries, peanuts, and a lot more. Sometimes I break out in hives, sometimes it's the tummy issues. Substitute and find what works best.

Im just going to start a food journal for her. Should I call the dr tomorrow or just start a journal than take it to him?.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Most of the corn crops are genetically modified to include a significantly higher level of a naturally occuring pesticide and scientists don't really know the full impact this could have on humans who consume it. The stated numbers are like 75%,of our corn crops are GMO, but honestly, corn pollenates via the wind, so there is no way to contain the GMO,even if you started with non-GMO plants and seeds. This is why I don't eat corn or anything with corn syrup or other derivatives.

This article provides some good info... you can google for more.

http://www.againstthegrainnutrition.com/newsandnotes/2009/04/14/genetically-engineered-corn-may-cause-allergies-infertility-and-disease/
  • Azuleelan
    I have food sensitivities as well. Wheat, Cow dairy, Strawberries, peanuts, and a lot more. Sometimes I break out in hives, sometimes it's the tummy issues. Substitute and find what works best.

Im just going to start a food journal for her. Should I call the dr tomorrow or just start a journal than take it to him?.

Hey, that was my idea, lol!
    I'd say start the diary first, just because tummy issues seem to be avoidable so far... a month's worth?
This discussion has been closed.