Americans please watch xD

Options

Replies

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    LOL whether his tooth is fake or not, why is it the first thing y'all jump on? I well would, I love David Mitchell. And he has a way better body than most us people on this website, if we really wanna start poking fun at looks.

And FYI, people in Britain these days actually have better teeth than in America, because we don't have to pay a fortune for our health care - even poor people have nice teeth here ^^
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I'm so glad I was raised to speak properly.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I had to giggle when I watched this because I do use the phrase 'I could care less' - meaning exactly that I do care a little, usually because whatever is a important to the person mentioning the topic.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

It's my pet hate. It makes me weep for the English language and logic itself.

(Meant in a light hearted way btw so don't be offended :P It's funny, honest)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY - this makes me warm in fuzzy on the inside.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    LOL whether his tooth is fake or not, why is it the first thing y'all jump on? I well would, I love David Mitchell. And he has a way better body than most us people on this website, if we really wanna start poking fun at looks.

And FYI, people in Britain these days actually have better teeth than in America, because we don't have to pay a fortune for our health care - even poor people have nice teeth here ^^

apart from the ones on jeremy kyle ;o)
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY - this makes me warm in fuzzy on the inside.

Lol I like that video. But the David Mitchel video wasn't about people using grammar or language wrongly, it was about a phrase that doesn't make sense at all logically in any way in any language.
    He says Americans are free to do what they like with the language!
    Just no one should use that phrase because it's wrong xD without actually getting into arguments about spelling and grammar, it just makes no sense.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options

Me too Ilookthetype.
  • cjcarson87
    cjcarson87 Posts: 31
    Options
    This whole thing is idiotic to me. No matter where you go people will never speak completely proper. People use slang, or certain sayings that are not "proper" but are accepted. Every where you go in the world, people have there own way of saying things. Just because it isn't "proper" or doesn't make sense to you doesn't make it wrong. Who the heck cares. It kind of frightens me that you care so much about something so trivial.

PS. I don't think that MFP is really the forum for this anyway.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    No matter where you go people will never speak completely proper.

:laugh:
  • cjcarson87
    cjcarson87 Posts: 31
    Options
    yes, let us use MFP to make fun of the way people talk rather than encourage them to loose weight. good for you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm an American and I support this message. :tongue:

I never put much thought into "hold down the fort," but I will remember this every time I hear the phrase now. And I'll mentally add, "Then we'll tickle it." :laugh:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I always say I don't care lol. That is all I use.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I guess if he is picky about "hold down the fort" sounding like an inflatable fort being held down, then couldn't we say that "hold the fort" literally would mean someone picking up and holding the fort????
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "I could/couldn't care less" thing. Though I don't see how it's an "American" thing. I've heard people from just about every English-speaking country misuse the phrase. Also, from what I observe, folks are just often right as wrong when they use it. It's more of an individual thing, really.

I don't really get the problem with the word "down." I agree with evanescencexluvr. Perhaps he is being a bit too needlessly literal.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm English and I found that extremely funny!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    the "could care less" thing has always annoyed me. Ive only ever seen it used on here. Most people say "couldnt care less"
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options
    Yeah I think he is a bit picky with the fort hing, but I've really only heard Americans use the could care less thing xD

Another thing I find weird is that they don't seem to have a word to describe spit in the past tense? Eg she spat on me in English is she spit on me in American xD (according to tv)

But I COULDN'T care less about that :P
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I know I say spit, but prefer spat. I'd also like shat to make a comeback.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think he is a bit picky with the fort hing, but I've really only heard Americans use the could care less thing xD

Another thing I find weird is that they don't seem to have a word to describe spit in the past tense? Eg she spat on me in English is she spit on me in American xD (according to tv)

But I COULDN'T care less about that :P

We have past tense for stuff like that, but it doesn't get overly used. It's there. I've been in England for a year now and get asked all sorts of questions about how movies portray this or that and they can't believe we do that. Can't always follow tv. LOL :):)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    "D'accord," writes the English teacher. :D

It's only a pet peeve of mine when I hear/read a professional use it in a formal context, or in something published (nukular, anyone?). We all have to make room for colloquialisms, though, as long as they stay exactly that: colloquial.

(Now, if only news anchors and would stop using "Beg the question" for anything other than its intended logical fallacy implication...)