Are protien powders nessesary?

2»

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Protein powders contain heavy metals which are known to cause all sorts of illnesses. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!

LOL. Where do you people come from?
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Protein powders contain heavy metals which are known to cause all sorts of illnesses. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!

If this means I die at 40-50 while still retaining my mental functions, so be it.

Honestly being wheeled around at 80 years old by some college student named Dave while *****ing myself and stealing silverware in my underpants doesn't sound appealing to me.
  • razeak
    razeak Posts: 12
    Personally, I prefer getting my protein from whole food. However, often you may not be able to have access to food within the time (45 min after weight training) limit that benefit the muscle. Therefore protein supplement (powders or bars) comes really handy. I totally agree that it is pricey, that's why I use them when I have no other choice.

The post workout protein shake is a myth. You don't need to eat within 45 minutes of a workout.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    The post workout protein shake is a myth. You don't need to eat within 45 minutes of a workout.

Source to medical documentation please? :D
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    If you are on a caloric deficit protein powders are extremely helpful in getting your required amount of protein each day especially when strength training. If you are on a caloric surplus, it is pretty easy, and usually cheaper, to get your protein from whole food sources.

I also agree with the idea that you don’t necessarily need a post workout meal. Some studies have shown that the benefits of a post workout meal are no different than ingesting the same meal up to four hours later. I admittedly don’t have this bookmarked, so I will have to see if I can search it out again. As anecdotal evidence, I don’t always consume protein directly post workout, sometimes I only have fruit, and have seen nothing negative as far as my strength gains go. You can’t go wrong with a post-workout meal, just don’t feel that you have to.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338

I am pretty sure this is not a myth, per se. It's just (a) not very significant, if at all, and (b) difficult to comply with.

(a) Not very significant in that the difference between eating protein with 45 minutes to 1 hour won't really make a huge difference, since the muscles remain receptive to protein for many hours afterward.

(b) Difficult to comply with because unless you're dosing protein throughout your workout, you'd never get the protein within that "window" anyway, since it takes anyway from an hour or more for ingested protein to beak amino acid levels.
This discussion has been closed.