so what was your OMG moment?? how did you end up on here?

Options

Replies

• jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I was in denial for a long time and literally woke up one morning as if someone flipped a switched and realized at the point in my life I was miserable. I hated the guy I was dating and living with and was soooo close to 200lbs on the scale knew I had to change or else. I dumped him and have lost 25 lbs and working on the next 45 or so and couldn't be happier even if someone gave me a wish granting fairy :D Best decision of my life.
  • danibee79
    danibee79 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I HAVE ALOT OF HEALTH ISSUES, THAT PROBABLY COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED IF I WOULD HAVE TAKEN CARE OF MYSELF WHEN I WAS YOUNG. MY 12 YEAR OLD GRANDSON, TOLD ME ONE DAY, IF I DIED, HE WOULD HAVE NO ONE IN HIS LIFE EVER AGAIN LIKE ME,AND HE CRIED, I STARTED TAKING BETTER CARE OF ME THEN.RED

Ah Red, that brought tears to my eyes :( what a great reason you get started :) x
  • Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There wasn't an OMG moment for me. I've kept track of exercise and food before, which I believe is a big key to weight loss. But, I'm lazy, so it never stuck. With MFP, I don't need to write things down, or look up nutritional information, or try to remember where my food diary from last week went.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I was approaching my 29th birthday, and my husband had just turned 32, and we'd like to start a family, but haven't had sex in months. :cry:

I was 353 and he was 428, and it was just impossible. :ohwell:

I started in May and I've lost 17 lbs...he started in June and he's lost 42. (MEN!!!!!!!!) :grumble:

We're on our way.........but I want to be down at least to 250 before I get pregnant. :wink:
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    HItting 230 after my son was born.....i went from a size 6 to a 16 and when they started getting tight yeah something had to give
  • Funnybunnyboo
    Options
    i knew i either dealt with my weight, and stopped eating my problems, or eate myself to death...so glad i made the right choice now, as i dont think i would be here if i hadnt!!
    oh, and feeling sexy again...hasnt been like that for YEARS!!
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was approaching my 29th birthday, and my husband had just turned 32, and we'd like to start a family, but haven't had sex in months. :cry:

I was 353 and he was 428, and it was just impossible. :ohwell:

I started in May and I've lost 17 lbs...he started in June and he's lost 42. (MEN!!!!!!!!) :grumble:

We're on our way.........but I want to be down at least to 250 before I get pregnant. :wink:

Get it girl!
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    March 2009 my mother's 55th birthday party...I didnt even realize it then, but a picture that generated down the line from there had me in disbelief (how could I let it get this out of hand?? i could no longer blame my children who at the time were 15 and 6). January 4, 2010 came along and I joined a challenge on facebook and the rest is history...Here I am 65 pounds later and still pushing and feeling good every step of the way!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I looked int he mirror and didnt recognize who was looking back at me.. I was unhappy, felt very unsexy.. and just absolutely hated to look at myself.. and I sat and cried for a day.. (I guess you can say felt sorry for myself) then I thought heck girl you have been through so much .. get your butt up and JUST DO IT! so here I am..
  • mestiza775
    Options
    My father died from his obesity 5 years ago from a heart attack caused by sleep apnea and it wasnt even my OMG moment I went into a dark place for a couple of years relying on food to make me happy. Then my mother was diagnosed with borderline diabetes (and shes only a little overweight not obese) and I have a 3 year old son who needs me. In the past losing weight was a cosmetic thing to me now its about being healthy and having the energy to keep up with a small boy :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this thread, totally motivational. All the reasons we want to get healthy! Nice to be reminded...
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Bent over to tie my shoes one day and could'nt breathe, literally, cut off the air from my lungs! That and I was about to have to get into 38" pants. Nope no way that was gonna happen!
  • jocemorg
    jocemorg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend mentioned over the phone that he felt like he was gaining weight and "getting fat." The man is 6 feet tall and 145 pounds. Something about me (being 5'4" and 175lbs at the time) NOT feeling like I was overweight was just wrong from that point on. Here I am 4 months and -18lbs later! :)
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I got tired of complaining about it and never doing anything about it. I am on week 7 of being at the gym and week 2 of really tracking my eating. I feel so much better. Yeah it sucks I have to think about everything I eat and chose salmon for lunch yesterday instead of the roast beef dip but in the long run it's worth it.
  • tjhmoody
    tjhmoody Posts: 28
    Options
    There wasn't an OMG moment for me. I've kept track of exercise and food before, which I believe is a big key to weight loss. But, I'm lazy, so it never stuck. With MFP, I don't need to write things down, or look up nutritional information, or try to remember where my food diary from last week went.

This is pretty much the same as me. I'm in a weight loss group so I know how to lose weight and keep a food chart but MFP makes it so easy. I've lost almost 20 lbs. since starting here and am soooo glad I did. On July 5th I was diagnosed as being in stage 4 renal failure. I'm sure that losing what I've lost will help keep my one and only kidney going for a while longer. And continuing to lose will also help. I'm so glad I found this program.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    First time I decided to lose weight was when I was about 230ish and a size 18/20. I was pretty much in denial until I saw some pictures of myself and absolutely wanted to cry. Joined ediets and went down to about 180 and a size 14 with just changing my food intake.

Second time was when I had crept back up to 190. Joined mfp and really started tracking my food and actually started to exercise.

Now, I've recommitted again because I want to hit a couple of goals before I make a big move in a year and a half and I've slacked off a bit in the last few months and went up again after maintaining for about 6. I'm now chasing those last 20 lbs with all I have. :laugh:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend put a big fat diamond on my finger...that's what got me. I can't be a chubby bride on a white sandy beach. I want a cute, white maxi dress.
  • tjhmoody
    tjhmoody Posts: 28
    Options
    I HAVE ALOT OF HEALTH ISSUES, THAT PROBABLY COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED IF I WOULD HAVE TAKEN CARE OF MYSELF WHEN I WAS YOUNG. MY 12 YEAR OLD GRANDSON, TOLD ME ONE DAY, IF I DIED, HE WOULD HAVE NO ONE IN HIS LIFE EVER AGAIN LIKE ME,AND HE CRIED, I STARTED TAKING BETTER CARE OF ME THEN.RED

I can definitely identify with what you said. I was diagnosed this month as being in stage 4 renal failure. Since I only have 1 kidney this was very scary. I've been in a weight loss support group for many, many years and have lost and regained the same weight many, many times. I know what I need to do ... but had to be given bad news about my health before doing it. I have already lost 19.50 lbs. this year and intend to keep on losing. I'm so glad that I found MFP because it really helps keep me on the right road.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmmmmmmm

i was bought a short for Christmas that did not fit................ but it should of done
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I saw a several pictures of myself at my grandson's 1st birthday party. Since there was more than one, I couldn't blame it on a bulky sweater or bad camera angle. I knew my weight was creeping up, but I didn't realize how bad it was. That was in February. I joined this site in March just to help me track my calories. I've gotten so much more than a calorie counter. I feel stronger and healthier than I have in years.