Gym membership or buy a treadmill?

Options
My husband gave me the option of joining 24 hour fitness or buying a treadmill for the house. I am thinking a treadmill because I may not like the gym. If I choose the gym I will have to bring my kids and my daughter is at the max age for the child watch. I can get a deal through costco for a 2 year membership but if I don't like it then I lose all of that money. Plus I don't like the bigger chain gyms, I the smaller ones like my old Ymca. What would you do?

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer a 7 day or 14 day free trial. Why not try it out before committing.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I went the treadmill route myself, because I know myself all too well. Having to actually get up and get ready to go to the gym etc, plus it being more around other people...too many reasons to put it off. With the treadmill right at home...it's just a matter of putting your shoes on and getting busy!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I would try the gym out first. A treadmill could get you stuck in a rut. I not-so-lovingly refer to mine as my 'dreadmill'.
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    Good suggestion about the free trial. I second that.

Personally, I OWN a gym and I never go. Mostly because I have 2 kids and I can't fit it in. So this year, I bought a treadmill for my basement. I now get up at 5am so I can go downstairs before the kids wake up. I can get in a killer workout before my hubby gets up for work! I love it.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the gym, and see if you can try it out before you get the membership. Eventually you'll realize that you'll want to do more than just run. Also, chances are the gym has higher quality machines than what you'll purchase on your own. So you'll get better equipment, the option to do more than just run, and all for a monthly fee instead of one big investment.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would look into a DVD workout program..much cheaper than both options and you will work out alot harder and they take up no room!! Try Beachbody.com I recommend Turbo Fire!! Friend me if you have questions... :)
  • gsnap30
    gsnap30 Posts: 67
    Options
    I go to the gym because it works with my life style. I love it. It's open 24/7 so I can always go (when I'm feeling the energy boost that is). Go with what works for your life style and TIME. But if you pick the treadmill make sur you hop on it! Good luck!
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    Take a class at local class, ask them for guest pass. Classes are amazing and really make me work hard. I would not do cycling for an hr with great intensity and lots of hills myself. Or do ZUmba for an hr. Or do Body sculpt for and hr. I am little lazy by myself. In the gym more and enjoying it!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Unless you really enjoy the gym environment and have one that's easy for you to get to on a regular basis, I'd go with in-home options. I recently acquired a small elliptical trainer for home and I use the heck out of that thing =)
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'd just buy a treadmill. I live in the suburbs near a bunch of trails (I prefer the trails & hills to the treadmill, but I do live in Pennsylvania and it snows and I refuse to run in the snow because of something that happend to me in the past) so I prefer it. Tried to gym, and IMO, I can't stand the enviorment of a gym. I'm too much of an introvert anyway. I'd rather run, or bike outside or swim in a lake.
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. In the beginning when I first started going to the gym, all I ever did was go on the treadmill and wondered why I just didn't purchase a treadmill at home. But after a while, I wasn't losing weight and I needed to change up my workout routine and cardio routine. So now I love my gym membership because I have the option of getting on the elliptical, spin bike, or the treadmill and do weights. Plus I get bored doing the same thing everyday.
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I would go with the gym option.. I find I get really bored with doing the same thing day in and day out. I love all the available equipment and groups to join in on with other people. I am half introverted/half extroverted myself so all depends on how happy I am each day.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    That's tough, a 2-year membership is a big commitment to find out it's not for you, but that 2-year costco membership is a great deal. I am a member and I am tempted to cancel and wait and get a two-year cost-co membership!
    A treadmill just isn't as versatile as the gym. I've had my membership for almost 10 years and I have changed so much, from the beginning where I took yoga and did the eliptical. Then I went to lifting and body pump classes, now I am doing more strength training. I can still do home workouts like 30 Day Shred and I did Couch to 5k, mostly outside so I just have never wanted a treadmill at my house.
    just things to think about!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I love the gym because I get variety! .. I don't have to walk everyday, I can do the elliptical, bike etc. Also they have strength training machines, which generally is when all the weight comes off...
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    For me, I just don't do it at home. Ask the ab rollers or the thighmasters etc etc. that live under my bed.

I started out with a 2 week trial at my gym, and fell in love. The only thing I have at home is an exercise ball for those exercises that are so awesome for you, and very awkward looking. A treadmill in my house would only take up space and be used as a clothesline.

I use my gym time as a "get away from people time." But that won't work for everyone.

I say, ask about a trial and see how it works for you.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    if you get a treadmill...which you should...you may want to invest in a small TV unless music works for you. my parnets bought a treadmill and a small flat screen which was SO fun until i moved out
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I own both a treadmill and an elliptical machine. *I* would not go to a gym. I don't have time, or babysitting etc. At home when I have 30-40 min that's all I have, so I can use ALL of it, I don't waste even 5 min driving somewhere.

I work out when my son is in bed, after I'm done with class (Nursing student) or when my husband is making dinner etc. So I need to squeeze it in when I can.

I'd try out the gym with a free trial if it's offered to see if it works for you, some people NEED to GO somewhere to workout. I just invested in the gear myself and now my husband uses them too!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like the gym cause it gives you options on what equipment you want to use. Plus you can also take the different classes as well. I enjoy doing a Spin class every once in a while.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like the gym cause it gives you options on what equipment you want to use. Plus you can also take the different classes as well. I enjoy doing a Spin class every once in a while.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love the gym...I tried working out at home during the past winter and I sucked at it...it gives you "out of the house" time...maybe look into a leisure centre so you can put your daughter into a camp, or swim lessons, my son has no problems hanging out with his DS or a book for an hour while I work out. Next year he'll be able to come with me into the gym...but like everyone else said, take a 2 week trial and then think it over...