Gym membership or buy a treadmill?

Options

Replies

• sleepygiraffes
    sleepygiraffes Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT buy a Gym Membership. Only do this if you plan on working buy yourself. I'm saying this from personal experience with a gym right beside my house. I was working with a PT for several months, paying a set amount of $130. She then told me that she was being promoted so I would have to pay more money per month because she would be charging more for her sessions. (I was in a contract with this set price, under age, and what did her promotion have to do with me?) Needless to say, I was being charged $180 (her new price) and $130 at the same time. I got ripped off, got called every day saying I owed the gym $3000 because I was smart enough to put a stop on my bank account.

I say just buy a treadmill! There are tons of workouts you can do and find online. I never thought I would be able to do it without all the equipment but honestly I'm starting to notice a big difference in my endurance and my strength just from working out at home. I think in the long run, a treadmill would just be cheaper for you and then you can always buy a couple weights and start your own routine right at home.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I would say gym. I started out doing dvd's and it was great in the beginning. But I needed the extra challenge. Its great to switch up your cardio. Now i only do strength training since cardio is great for the heart but doesnt do much for looking tone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I have both obviously, but let me say that most home equipment ends up being expensive "clothes racks". Why not try walking/jogging/running outside for a couple of weeks. If you can't stay consistent with that, then chances are you probably won't with home equipment.
    At least with a gym you have many more options than just using a treadmill.

Everyone is different though. Heck you might even enjoy ballroom dancing more than a treadmill and learn to dance better. There are so many more options out there, so check them out.
  • JanieKelley
    JanieKelley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like the gym. And I don't care what I look like when I go. I'm there to workout. I've had exercise equipment at home before and I ended up using it for hanging up my laundry.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I got myself a treadmill because I've tried gyms in the last and was never comfortable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT buy a Gym Membership. Only do this if you plan on working buy yourself. I'm saying this from personal experience with a gym right beside my house. I was working with a PT for several months, paying a set amount of $130. She then told me that she was being promoted so I would have to pay more money per month because she would be charging more for her sessions. (I was in a contract with this set price, under age, and what did her promotion have to do with me?) Needless to say, I was being charged $180 (her new price) and $130 at the same time. I got ripped off, got called every day saying I owed the gym $3000 because I was smart enough to put a stop on my bank account.

I say just buy a treadmill! There are tons of workouts you can do and find online. I never thought I would be able to do it without all the equipment but honestly I'm starting to notice a big difference in my endurance and my strength just from working out at home. I think in the long run, a treadmill would just be cheaper for you and then you can always buy a couple weights and start your own routine right at home.
    Just because you had a bad experience with this gym doesn't mean it would happen to you at another. Don't base how all gyms run on this experience.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'd opt for an elliptical. Me and treadmills are not friends, nor do I have intentions of making friends with any of them any time soon. I'm heavy footed and tend to make the belt slide forward when I try to even walk. Jogging/running won't go over any better and I don't want to land on my face.

I'm not a gym person. I have access to an onsite gym at my apartment community that I don't use because their elliptical is not safe to be on and creepy people walk in and out. I don't mind gyms, but I always get a membership and let it go. Waste of money. I'd love to be able to afford an elliptical for my house, but for now, I opt to walk outside with my son. :)
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

this is not a typical gym story and shouldn't be used as an example to everyone why people shouldn't join a gym.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to go with what you know you can stick to. If you opt for a treadmill, you might check out garage sales and Craig's List for used ones so it's not so expensive. I got a good deal on mine brand new, it was on sale from Nordictrack for about $600, many are over $1k new. Knowing how many people get them and give up on them though, you're sure to be able to find a deal on someone who just wants it out of their house.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

this is not a typical gym story and shouldn't be used as an example to everyone why people shouldn't join a gym.

no doubt...I've been to many gyms in my life (due to moving around a lot) and I've never been ripped off...
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym, I make sure I go on my way home or its way to east to get comfortable after a tiring day and say nah tomorrow ill do it.

I tried running around home and p90x and just couldnt stick to it long term. Gym has always worked better for me. Plus for motivation I like to be reminded what I am after so seeing those who are where I want to be inspire me to push myself harder. Far too often we get comfortable with a routine, never upping the treadmill speed thinking im sweating, this is tough, I dont need to go harder, but your not doing much for your body at that point other than shed a few extra calories but it becomes minimal when our bodies get used to it.
  • bearinthebigbluehouse
    bearinthebigbluehouse Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    TY for all of your advice!! I was a member of La fitness about 13 years ago and I hated it! The classes were so full, lines to wait for the machines and this was at 9am.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I used to have a membership at 24 and I LOVED it. Not so much for the machines though those were great but because of the classes like yoga and ab work outs pilates and there were tons of other classes and swimming is a great cardio I actually really hate cardio but can swim laps for an hour and be happy. But like you said your schedule can be a problem so that is a hard one.....

Oh and the only reason I dont have 24 anymore is cuz there is a local gym chain here that is like 24 only SO MUCH better called Las Vegas Athletic club so I switched.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i have a membership to 24hr fitness, got it a while back, infact i purchased and paid off the best one they offered at the time for a lifetime membership. here is how they a cheating people, they improved some of their facilites but expect all fully paid members to pay an addtional 524.00 yearly in order to use these facilities. i am so upset with them, i don't feel like renewing my 50.00 a year membership card. I went out and got myself an indoor spin bike, with hard core trainnig DVD's and a bowflex. now any one visiting me can use the equipment and i have been making an effort to workout. just a thought
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I say go for the gym membership and buy one or two workout dvds for the days you can't make it.
    I do both but the gym is on my way home from work so I know I don't miss out on going but if I do, then I have
    something else to fall back on or I would simply go outside to run.
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I vote gym. Really depends on u. If big gym isn't for u perhaps try Curves. I personally would make a home treadmill furniture.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Well I see it as buying vs. renting property, really :)

And then with the issue of your child and daycare...I say buy!

Make sure you are doing strength training though, so get some weights/resistance bands/ketllebells because just cardio isn't going to make you fit/strong!
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have a home weight machine, and a nice elliptical trainer, the latter was really great as a clothes rack! I bought the elliptical and was on it every day for awhile, but it started to bother my knee and i have not used it since.

Joking aside, I think it depends on your personality. I found a really neat small gym, very basic, but the trainers are great and they keep the training varied and focus on keeping me (and my joints) healthy. I also feel that I get more out of my workouts because I am a competitive person and would push hard, especially in the beginning, to keep up with others. I train on my own now, in the same gym, but I feel almost like I am letting others down when I skip a workout as much as letting myself down. There have been plenty of days where I wanted to skip, but it gave me the motivation to go. I think its based on personality, as I am a pretty social person, and competitive, so my gym is a great fit. I will also note that we have several box gyms and some very high end athletic clubs. I actually belong to a box gym, and go there on the weekends, and used to belong to the fancy athletic club. I see each of the different types of facilities as having a "personality" of its own, and you need to find one that fits into your goals in terms of expense, workout choices, how congested the gym is at the hour you would choose to go, location, etc.

working out at home CAN be great, but you really need to be a disciplined person to keep up those habits. Its easy to say "screw it" if I am working out at home, but if I am meeting others I personally will tend to push myself to meet the obligation.

bottom line, either the gym or the treadmill can be a BIG waste of money, or a fantastic value.. which one would you be more likely to use consistently over a period of years?

BTW. if you choose the treadmill path, you might want to check craigslist or other sites. you can sometimes get a great deal on one that has been serving as a coat rack.
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    Treadmill!!! The treadmill is certainly the better choice for you financially because you will own something after paying out your money and also you will not have the burden of having to find a babysitter.

I was lucky enough to get one of these(see link below) and it comes with IFIT LIVE built into it which means I can enjoy a satelite view of where ever I want to run! Plus, the incline or decline on the machine will adjust as I run so I get the feel of being on the hills. The satelite view is great. It's so clear, I can see the trees, people, cars etc. So far, I've run in Hawaii, Paris, California, Arizona, Colorado...I've run across the Golden Gate Bridge and even the Big Sur Trail. With so many options, you will not get bored with it. I love my treadmill :-) Moreover, I have the option of using it at my convenience which is often at 2 or 3am :-)

http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_10301_12401_59002_167853
  • Humphrizzle
    Humphrizzle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love the gym but I also want a treadmill. The gym is a great place to find help from trainers who will give you advice and encouragement. I am on a free week trial at a few gyms deciding which one to choose for the membership. Great way to get to know what you're signing up for before you do it.