books that have changed your life

Options

Replies

• SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    one thing i've been doing is going back to my reading lists form like middle and high school and reading those books again, loveee it, i get so much more out of them now since i don't 'have' to read them lol
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    The Perks of Being A Wallflower
  • shaverkl191
    shaverkl191 Posts: 131
    Options
    1984 - George Orwell
    The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
    The Last Lecture
  • trouserchili
    Options
    Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill
    Goals! - Brian Tracy
    Go for No - Fenton & Waltz

Those 3 books are responsible for taking me from being an unsatisfied factory worker schlep to a successful business owner. True life changers that I heartily endorse.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Wurthering Heights, by Emily Bronte. This was the first book I ever stayed up all night to read and when I finally feel asleep while reading the book, I dreamt about the characters. For me this book was the beginning of my love of reading and that is how it changed my life.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

Native Son by Richard Wright

arrghhh!!! i read this book and i hated it, it was sooo depressing and i just couldn't get with it, but one thing i can say is that i never forgot it.

another one is 'kindred', 'our nig' and 'not without laughter'

'push' by sapphire made me cry, and 'for colored girls' almost did
    Yeah, that's how I felt about Native Son as well. I mean, I could get with it, but it was just like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    1. Fried Green Tomatoes At the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg.
    2. The Stranger by Albert Camus.
    3. Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury.
    4. Animal Farm, by George Orwell.
    5. The Color Purple, by Alice Walker.
    6. The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    Disposable People by Dr. Kevin Bales
    Problem from Hell by Samantha Powers
    Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
    Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman

damn that was five there are so many more!
  • SkateboardFi
    Options

Native Son by Richard Wright

arrghhh!!! i read this book and i hated it, it was sooo depressing and i just couldn't get with it, but one thing i can say is that i never forgot it.

another one is 'kindred', 'our nig' and 'not without laughter'

'push' by sapphire made me cry, and 'for colored girls' almost did
    Yeah, that's how I felt about Native Son as well. I mean, I could get with it, but it was just like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

LOL!! exactttlyyyy!!! ugh! i was like..no...No...NOOOOOO noooo..aw.. *finishes* *puts away* *shakes head* LMAO

and whoever put the color purple i completely agree, GREAT book

also a good book is 'their eyes were watching god' by zora neale hurston. beautifully written. has anybody read 'the golden compass' by phillip pullman? it was AMAZING with descriptions and plot. read it in 8th grade and it was my introduction into the fantasy realm. i was hooked!
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    1. Fried Green Tomatoes At the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg.

6. The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold.

Fried Green Tomatoes is a great book . I have The Lovely Bones on my bookshelf, I will have to get it down and start it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    When I was 17 it was The Bell Jar

Every time I read "To Kill A Mockingbird" I learn something new about myself.
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    Stephen Hawkings "The Grand Design"

Kevin Grimwood "Replay"

Phillip Wylie "Tomorrow"

Robert Heinlein "I will fear no evil"

Jim Fixx "The complete book of Running:
  • Ante_Up
    Ante_Up Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've read "The Shack" it's a deep book, as well as Odd Thomas and quite a few others mentioned here. I don't have time atm to read the whole thread, so I'm just tagging it for now. Love this topic! I'd also love to hear "why" the books changed you, or why you were moved by them.
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    'persepolis' by marjane satrapi is wonderful. the entire book is written like a comic book and it's an autobiographical look at her rebellious teenage years in the 90s in iran during the reign of the shah.. it's amazing and also made me cry a bit

also 'things fall apart' by chinua achebe..really short book...150 pages tops. but it stuck with me for life.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi............. :laugh:

(sorry, I just couldn't resist)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    'persepolis' by marjane satrapi is wonderful. the entire book is written like a comic book and it's an autobiographical look at her rebellious teenage years in the 90s in iran during the reign of the shah.. it's amazing and also made me cry a bit

also 'things fall apart' by chinua achebe..really short book...150 pages tops. but it stuck with me for life.
    love both of these as well.

I remembered Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. I find myself taking notice of the symbolism in the story in real life too.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven has changed my lives in more ways than I can count. I'm not much of a reader, but when I sat down to read that book, I tore through it in a couple of hours. Yes, it's a short book, but I couldn't stop reading it for two seconds.

Well, and the Bible too, of course.
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My Bible
    Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    'anthem' by ayn rand.

i see people saying the bible. is there any particular book in the bible? have you read the entire unabridged bible? 'song of solomon' and 'proverbs' were life changing for me
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    Millionaire Messenger by Brandon Bucchard
    4 hour body by tim ferris