ocnldy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The Story of O
    The Poor Mans James Bond
    The Complete Books Of Knots
    The kama Sutra
    Atlas of Human Anatomy
    The Tao of Jeet Kune Do
    The Catalog Of Cruelty: An Illustrated Collection Of Ancient Restraints And Medieval Instruments Of Torture And Execution
    KUBARK Counterintelligence Interrogation
    The Little Engine That Could

If you enjoyed Story of O, try Comfort Food, I got it as a free ebook through B&N
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wow great thread; as a book addict with no plans to recover, I have books all over the place and reading beats TV/Movies anyday, This thread rocks!

Illusion- actually anything by Richard Bach, dating myself I know
    The Color of Water by James McBride
    Celestine prophecy series James Redfield
    Anatomy of Peace
    Fish
    Castenada; once you dig past the datura.
    Memnoch the Devil - made me explore religion more and examine my spirituality.

For vegging
    Earth Series by Michael and Kathleen Gear
    Belgaraid and Mallorean series by David Eddings
    And for laughs Princess Bride, not life changing but funny and light hearted.

I know exactly what you mean about Memnoch the Devil! I feel the same way and I always finish the book thinking WOW, what a different point of view!

The Princess Bride is one of my ultimate favorites, along with the movie...which of course isn't as good as the book. I love the author's sense of humor. The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is the same style....I find myself laughing out loud frequently.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

awww i LOVED this movie, i will have to check out the book on this one, the books are always better!

The book is a MILLION times better, and that's saying a lot cause the movie is one of my all time favorites. You just get to learn a lot more about the characters and you get to read all the little in between details they can never convey correctly in movies. I just learned the other day that Fight Club was a book first (which is another favorite of mine) so I can't wait to read that one since I know it will be awesome!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It's Not You, It's Biology

The Teenage Liberation Handbook

French Women Don't Get Fat

On Killing

I thought I was the only one who read 'On Killing'. For a somewhat interesting view, 'Unrepentant Sinner' by Col. Charles Askins.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    The Drifters, James Mitchener. Loaned to my in my early teens by my Uncle. It ignigted my love of travel & exploration.

Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley. Introduced me to a spirituality other than Christianity. And gave me my (so far) life long love of all things Arthurian.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KingQ320
    Options
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

Great book I came into this thread with intentions of listing this book..between this and Drown it makes it obvious that Junot Diaz is a genius
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess
    You Are Special by Max Lucado
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Honestly none. I read constantly, but books don't change my life. They are just another opinion or point of view to add to the hundreds of thousands that have contributed to mine. Many books have made me think, or brought certain topics to my attention, but no single book has that big an influence on me.

I like Paulo Coelo, I like Isabelle Allende and Louis de Bernieres, and Philippa Gregory (trash, but readable trash), and David Starkey, and Alison Weir. Mostly I like people's first novels as they usually put more of themselves into them than they do subsequent ones. I recently read South Riding, which is an amazing book. It really touched me. At the moment I am reading Reformation - Europe's House divided, by Diarmid McCulloch and Captain Blood by Sabatini (to satisfy my 6 year old's pirate obsession!). Next is Quest for the Holy Grail (again), and Henry II (Shakespeare).
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Not sure if they've changed my life but they've given me some incredible dreams and inspiration.

During my teens:

- The Infinite Plan and also Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
    - Like water for chocolate by Laura Esquivel
    - The Secret History by Donna Tartt
    - Animal Farm by George Orwell

I have too many!

Recently it'll probably be
    - Unbearable likeness of being - Milan Kundera
    - What I talk about when I talk about running by Haruki Murakami
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    yesss like water for chocolate was an awesome book! that was one of the few movies that portrayed the book pretty accurately. i also like john grisham's 'the testament' very well written. world war z was surprisingly good as well.
  • Kim_SFB
    Kim_SFB Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1. When God was a Woman by Merlin Stone
    2.The Golden Bough by Frazer
    3. Books about Greek Myths
    4. Jane Austen books
    5. Books by the Brontes
  • Kim_SFB
    Kim_SFB Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    great book! Neil Gaiman is fab...I wished they'd make "American Gods" a movie
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The Silence of Adam. Wish I'd read it two years BEFORE I was divorced.
    When I was a kid, I also loved Jack London's books. They sort of stimulated a lasting dream of adventures in the wilderness.
  • inthequiet
    Options
    great book! Neil Gaiman is fab...I wished they'd make "American Gods" a movie

I finished that book about a month ago, it was interesting. I hear they're making it a TV series on HBO. Some info about it - http://www.slashfilm.com/american-gods/
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The Trial by Franz Kafka
    The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Wow great thread; as a book addict with no plans to recover, I have books all over the place and reading beats TV/Movies anyday, This thread rocks!

Illusion- actually anything by Richard Bach, dating myself I know
    The Color of Water by James McBride
    Celestine prophecy series James Redfield
    Anatomy of Peace
    Fish
    Castenada; once you dig past the datura.
    Memnoch the Devil - made me explore religion more and examine my spirituality.

For vegging
    Earth Series by Michael and Kathleen Gear
    Belgaraid and Mallorean series by David Eddings

Love, love, LOVE, Anne Rice. I've read almost every single book and they really do have some very interesting takes on spirtuality.
  • brandyfh
    Options
    The Art of Racing in the Rain is an awesome book(I think the author is Garth Stein)!!
    Anything by Nicole Seitz, but especially Trouble the Water.
  • Trans4mations
    Trans4mations Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The Bible
    The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    The Trial by Franz Kafka
    The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
    I love everything about The House on Mango Street. :heart: