Scale boycott

Options
I've decided that I am not going to weigh myself for a month and a half and see what happens. I get sooo discouraged when I don't lose what I am expecting to lose. I think this might help.

Have any of you tried a scale boycott?

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've decided that I am not going to weigh myself for a month and a half and see what happens. I get sooo discouraged when I don't lose what I am expecting to lose. I think this might help.

• bonnykate
    Options
    yeah, i only weigh myself once a week, on the condition that i'm not going to freak out if i haven't lost anything. longer than that, my curiosity gets the best of me :tongue:
  • majic
    majic Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have not. I weigh once a week every Saturday/Sunday and it's good for me. I know what I need to lose or if I haven't lost any.

But there may come a time when I need to step back.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't really bother me, it's the MIRROR. I sometimes ban myself from the mirror either by not looking at the gym (which is hard) or wearing really baggy stuff for a while.

This summer I went for 2 months without looking in a mirror...however, I was watching the scale go up due to my inability to exercise or eat right since I was living in the woods. When I saw myself in the gym, I was APPALLED. I looked awful! My hips were soooooo wide!! But it worked out well, because now I can see a very visible difference in my body from Aug-now.
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Options

I'm with you! I am actually over halfway through my own scale boycott (cute name, btw) and haven't weighed myself since October 15th. I am thinking I'll weigh myself right before Thanksgiving. I did this for the same reasons as you - I used to get so depressed at realizing I'd only lost .5 lbs or nothing at all in 3 weeks --- or worse when during that TOM when you gain weight!!! arg!! -- so I decided to just let things be and eat healthly and exercise and even though I haven't weighed myself, I feel like I look better and my pants are looser!

Good luck to you - I think sometimes it's good to take a break from the scales! :smile:
  • amunet07
    Options

I'm with you! I am actually over halfway through my own scale boycott (cute name, btw) and haven't weighed myself since October 15th. I am thinking I'll weigh myself right before Thanksgiving. I did this for the same reasons as you - I used to get so depressed at realizing I'd only lost .5 lbs or nothing at all in 3 weeks --- or worse when during that TOM when you gain weight!!! arg!! -- so I decided to just let things be and eat healthly and exercise and even though I haven't weighed myself, I feel like I look better and my pants are looser!

Good luck to you - I think sometimes it's good to take a break from the scales! :smile:

Maybe weighing myself before Thanksgiving would be a good idea and then wait until after the new year?
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking this about 30 minutes ago.

I weigh myself everyday (well, actually before and after bed) it's gotten really really bad. Especially since I've been in a plateau for 1.5 weeks now. It's getting really frustrating.

I can't go too long, but I am going to try try try so hard to only weigh once a week. Ugh.
  • amunet07
    Options

I weigh myself everyday (well, actually before and after bed) it's gotten really really bad. Especially since I've been in a plateau for 1.5 weeks now. It's getting really frustrating.

I can't go too long, but I am going to try try try so hard to only weigh once a week. Ugh.

I think weighing once a week or even longer helps... especially if you are in the midst of a plateau...because then it doesn't seem so long and as frustrating.
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Only way I could do that is if I threw out my scale. I weigh everyday, a few times a day. I call it being overtrained. I wrestled for 14 years, and so with having to make weight, I was constantly checking my weight. And now that I'm trying to lose again, well, old habits die hard... :ohwell: :laugh:
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Options

`

Maybe weighing myself before Thanksgiving would be a good idea and then wait until after the new year?

That's what I am thinking - before Thanksgiving, then 2 weeks later to make sure I am on track during the holidays, then again after New Years. I think that after New Years I'll probably get back into a 2x a month weighing schedule (working around my TOM) but never any more frequently than that.

Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • skinnyminnie18
    Options
    Yeah, I stopped weighing myself a LONG time ago. Now, I've decided that weighing myself once a week is the best plan. Then, I can really track my weight loss/gain more accurately because I won't be dealing with those annoying daily water weight fluctuations.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Sounds healthy to me! I think many put to much value in the numbers in the box. They vary hour by hour, morning to night. I think a tape measure is going to help you stay much more positive and hopeful as you will see continued changes on that and know that most likely if you measured yourself again 3 hours later you'll get the same measurements!:wink::bigsmile:

I don't have any set time to weight myself. I was in some challenges that only payed attention to weight, the challenges have you weigh in each week, I then realized they just were making me more obsessed with numbers than I already had been in the past.:wink:

My weight can vary greatly during PMS 'symptoms' and I deal with the symptoms a couple times a month which really only gives me 2 good weigh in's a month if I go that route.:noway:

I find if I'm in the mood to jump on the scale I do...then I get around to changing my ticker. :laugh:

When I do weight myself I write it in a small notebook I keep in my gym bag (I don't own a scale, I only weight at the gym) seems to be working for me.

Hope you decide what's best for you & go with that:flowerforyou: .....I'm quite sure you'll get many various responses on this topic.

Nothing wrong with taking a break from the scale:happy::drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

It's not easy breaking the habit but it can be done:drinker: :wink: Personally I think weighing once a day is sorta setting oneself up for huge mood changes:laugh: & a huge obsession. I couldn't stand when the scale owned me!!:noway: :huh: :grumble:

It doesn't anymore. I say get out those tape measures even if you've been at this awhile and go from there, taking monthly measurements or whatever works for you. I have a trainer at the gym take mine, always use the same trainer so I'm measured in the same spots.
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Options
    I might try weighing myself once a week. Right now it' everyday (I had a mini-binge the past two days and put almost 3lbs on. Ugh!!) and it's getting me sorta down.
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I started a boycott myself about a week ago. it was starting to run me and I decided I can't let a number dictate the kind of day I was going to have. I am going to weigh once a month and see how it goes. I have heard clothes are a better indicator so I am going to test that theory. Best of luck!!!
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I weigh myself ever yday (well, actually before and after bed) it's gotten really really bad. Especially since I've been in a plateau for 1.5 weeks now. It's getting really frustrating.

It's not easy breaking the habit but it can be done:drinker: :wink: Personally I think weighing once a day is sorta setting oneself up for huge mood changes:laugh: & a huge obsession. I couldn't stand when the scale owned me!!:noway: :huh: :grumble:

It doesn't anymore. I say get out those tape measures even if you've been at this awhile and go from there, taking monthly measurements or whatever works for you. I have a trainer at the gym take mine, always use the same trainer so I'm measured in the same spots.

Oh yeah, measurements are awesome! I just started them a month ago (too bad I didn't 60lbs ago, oh well). In 4 weeks I had lost a total of 11 inches! SO AMAZING! And it made me feel better about my slower weight loss (which is normal!).

Thank you!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's weird, I do weigh myself now, but I don't care if I go up a pound or two when I step on. It used to depress me completely. Now I have realized I am doing all the right things eating what I am supposed to and exercising, therefore the one or two I have gone up is not real, just body fluctuations. I never thought that would happen for me, the scales used to make or break my day.
  • amunet07
    Options
    Ya, I just started thinking how when I wasn't dieting I didn't weigh myself and when I did I was unpleasantly surprised and the weight just seemed to appear all of a sudden...sooo... It should work in reverse right?!! Diet or "change-my-lifestyle" and not weigh myself and then when I do I'll be pleasantly surprised. :happy: :drinker:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    skinnyminnie, your name says it. You are skinny. Why are you trying to lose weight? I looked at your profile and it says you are currently 5ft8in and weigh 108 hoping to get to 70. Even 108 is underweight for your height. Please do not try to lose more but seek help in becoming comfortable with yourself and your body. I am afraid that you are dangerously close to sickness.
    Kelly
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    skinnyminnie18: I agree with Kelly. You are thin enough and actually need to put on a few pounds. Take care of yourself. We're concerned about you!