WTF Dude.

Options
I know when walking to kitchen I am going to ruin my calories and my work out from this morning. I know when eating the ice cream that it is happening yet I can't stop myself. WTF is wrong with me? Anyone else have this problem? How do you convince yourself? Any tricks? I allow myself whatever I want in moderation... however most of the time I forget the moderation part :(

Replies

• barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Honestly you have to learn to tell yourself no and mean it. Moderation doesnt seem to be working right now, so you may have to go cold turkey and gradualy add in stuff.
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    if I have a whole icecream sandwich in front of me and I said I was only going to have half - I eat half and I know if I put it in the freezer I will want to go back and pick at it again until I finish it so I normally just ruin it by adding things like mustad or ketchup etc to sweets then throwing them out...I know it's wasteful but it helps me.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My trick is to ALWAYS bring out my little bowls or small cup and have what I want but portion out a small serving only. Never eat out of the container or have more than a small portion at a time.
  • abraam
    abraam Posts: 25
    Options
    I like to buy frozen yogurt or healthier comfort foods so that I don't feel as bad if I do splurge. Don't beat yourself up about it, just push yourself and try not to do it next time. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • dorisbrockman
    dorisbrockman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Watch your carb intake.. When you eat carbs it turns into sugar.. Always eat a protein with the carb so it balances out. That will help with the craving of wanting more.. The more carbs you eat, the more you want..
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how to answer your questions because the answer is different for everyone. I also allow myself to eat whatever I want in moderation....I cut or take a portion and walk away from the area. If I feel like going back for more I ask myself if having more will help me get to where I want to be?

Here is a quote that helps me ~ "Giving up something today for something better in the future is not a sacrafice, it's an investment"
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    It's so hard to offer advice because it's such a mental game. Comfort eating is crazy. You have to completely change how you make yourself feel good without using food.

I tank water and then wait 10 minutes when I find myself peering thru the kitchen cupboards. Drink 2 full glasses of water and then go sit down and think about what I want to eat and why. Sometimes I eat... sometimes I don't.

I often pre-count my calories for most of the day first thing in the morning. Then I can stay focused on numbers and it helps me avoid eating my feelings when I have calorie numbers bouncing around my head.

Hope that helps :heart:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Keep the ice cream out of your house. Whenever you want to allow some in moderation, go buy an ice cream cone from McDonalds (150 calories). Go through the drive thru so you can't go back for more.
  • Derameth
    Derameth Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know when walking to kitchen I am going to ruin my calories and my work out from this morning. I know when eating the ice cream that it is happening yet I can't stop myself. WTF is wrong with me? Anyone else have this problem? How do you convince yourself? Any tricks? I allow myself whatever I want in moderation... however most of the time I forget the moderation part :(

If you are writing everything down and you don't mind putting down all that extra food, then moderation is NOT working for you. STOP doing it. Until you can control your behavior then you have to say no. Sometimes (like me with some foods) I will never be able to control my behavior so I don't buy them/make them. Then Viola, I don't eat them. You can do this..
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Im exactly the same. You just need some one to grab the tub and ****ing run with it!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    this is what helps me because I know if I have lots of ice cream in the freezer which is my weakness I willl probably eat a big bowl (or two)until you start learning to be more in control start buying single serving snacks like ice cream bars instead of like a whole gallon
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I had some similiar problems when I started this (31 days ago 25 lbs ago) but what I did was I just wrote down small goals after I created a meal plan.

My meal plan was :

Breakfast - 1 Cup of Kashi Go Lean Cereal with either a banana or half cup of strawberries in it with 1 % milk

Snacks - Apple, Banana, Steamed Brocolli - etc

Lunch - Chicken Breast - Spinach Salad mix

Dinner - My wife got hooked on low calorie stuff so she made some good dinners.

Anyways- my technique was to eliminate the sodas, the fast food etc and just give myself small periodic goals. My first goal was to go a whole day with eating this way. Once I could do that, it was three days then a week then two weeks then it just became normal.

I also eliminated activities that motivated me to eat like sitting in front of my computer all day playing World of Warcraft, now Im forced to be distracted because I was a bored eater.

Conclusion: Create small goals, then make them bigger as you go and you will feel good about yourself. If you do a solid 2 weeks on nothing but healthy food you will detox and feel a lot better later and it will seem normal too you.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't keep stuff like that in the house usually. Also, I will allow myself anything too just sometimes I'll convince myself to wait for an hour or two and see if I still want it. Or get someone to split it with you. Or find some sort of suitable substitute.
  • Bsp120167
    Bsp120167 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I try to not have anything in the house that I will feel bad about eating. Go to the store and figure out what would be a treat you can live with. I have a 2.5 yr old daughter so have to have some sweets around for her but I try to get her things that i don't like so I won't be tempted.
  • BeautifulMe322
    BeautifulMe322 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, and you are right. I can do this. I need to keep it out of my house. Out of sight, out of mind. Self control.

xayekim- Exactly that is EXACTLY what I am doing. Flying around mining. Bored out of my mind.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    At home, I'm fine because I don't keep that kind of stuff in the house very often. When I do, it's bad.. But when we are out of town and then go eat out I just can't seem to control myself. then I end up getting a treat (usually ice cream) knowing full well that I am ruining several days of hard work! I don't know how to stop either!!

Happens at work too because there's always treats there that I don't get at home. I feel like I'm deprieved if I don't get to enjoy that stuff like others do......

Last night and last weekend were AWFUL! There's no making it up either. I guess we have to learn to move on and try not to do it again. Easier said than done.....

If you get it figured out be sure to let me know! LOL
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I buy ice cream sandwiches that are 160 calories each. Just regular store-brand, non-diet ones. I can have ONE and feel satisfied. If I scoop out a half cup of ice cream (one serving), it just looks so tiny and pathetic and small, I don't feel satisfied... I feel cheated. :laugh:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've found it helpful to log it before I eat it so I can "see" the damage I'm going to do. If I log in a small amount that keeps me in my range for the day, okay I'll have that amount. But I am very careful that I don't cheat myself by squeezing in extra (I weigh my food for this reason.) If I go over then I do it with my eyes wide open and knowing fully what it's going to do to my day. Sometimes just logging it is enough to keep me from indulging because I can see what I'm doing before I've done it.
  • AutoIronic
    AutoIronic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything is "wrong" with you. We all have our crazy food issues, or we wouldn't be here. If you're eating for emotional reasons, maybe you could try to find other treats and rewards--a bubble bath, a half-hour of meditation, or even a shopping trip--that can replace the comfort and satisfaction you're getting from food. If you're eating from boredom, maybe you could change up your schedule with a workout class, walks with friends, art or crafts, or other activities you can't eat during. If you have a hard time controlling your snacking (me too!) try not to shop when you're hungry, and don't buy stuff you don't want to eat.

I've been in the habit of eating from boredom and stress, and these things have helped me a lot. But by far the most important thing was changing the way I thought about food. I started noticing how I thought of junk food as a reward. So whenever I saw that pattern, I would mentally correct myself. The crucial moment came when I looked into a vending machine after a long day and thought, "wait, how would I be rewarding myself by putting trash into my body?" Not long after that realization, I was able to start dieting steadily and successfully. Because I changed my thought patterns, I was better able to resist the temptation for junk foods or overeating, because I started to associate them with punishing my body rather than rewarding it.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    With me I'd rather not have it in my cupboards and only have healthier options at arms length! If I had Nutella for instance I know I would spoon it out of the jar till it is gone! I had to decide healthy or nutella. It actually just came down to that and me looking at all the various sized clothing in my drawers and closet. You gotta get fed up, and unfortunately no one can do that for anybody but we all gotta reach that point sometimes. Sorry hun I wish I HAD BETTER ADVICE FOR YA. I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS ESPECIALLY THE EMOTIONAL EATING IS THE WORST. I USE TO USE THAT EXCUSE and pack on the pounds every time I got my monthly. Oh I got my period so I NEED something sweet etc. etc. Like someone before me stated it truly is a mind game! Remember mind over matter, it don't matter if you don't mind, and it won't mind itself till it matters to YOU!! You HAVE the will and you CAN do it! Just little day by day change your pantry foods to healthier options and hold yourself accountable by getting a food scale and make it a daily routine if need be so you learn portions and portion control! Good luck and add me if ya need help! WE are all in the same boat and none of us HAVE to do it alone!! <3