WTF Dude.

Options

Replies

• BeautifulMe322
    BeautifulMe322 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This place really brings tears to eyes. If I went to my husband (who is supportive but is fit and just doesn't get it) He would just say "well you only had a little" or "so don't eat it if it makes you feel this way" Where as you guys understand. You totally understand. Thank you.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had some similiar problems when I started this (31 days ago 25 lbs ago) but what I did was I just wrote down small goals after I created a meal plan.

My meal plan was :

Breakfast - 1 Cup of Kashi Go Lean Cereal with either a banana or half cup of strawberries in it with 1 % milk

Snacks - Apple, Banana, Steamed Brocolli - etc

Lunch - Chicken Breast - Spinach Salad mix

Dinner - My wife got hooked on low calorie stuff so she made some good dinners.

Anyways- my technique was to eliminate the sodas, the fast food etc and just give myself small periodic goals. My first goal was to go a whole day with eating this way. Once I could do that, it was three days then a week then two weeks then it just became normal.

I also eliminated activities that motivated me to eat like sitting in front of my computer all day playing World of Warcraft, now Im forced to be distracted because I was a bored eater.

Conclusion: Create small goals, then make them bigger as you go and you will feel good about yourself. If you do a solid 2 weeks on nothing but healthy food you will detox and feel a lot better later and it will seem normal too you.
    Great post my friend! Love it and it is so true!! ;)
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There's a time to work on moderation and a time to not let it within a mile of you. It may be a season in your life where you just can't have the bad stuff around. (((hug)))

Wanted to add that I myself am not in a place yet where I can really do moderation. I just have to say no and mean no.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I buy ice cream sandwiches that are 160 calories each. Just regular store-brand, non-diet ones. I can have ONE and feel satisfied. If I scoop out a half cup of ice cream (one serving), it just looks so tiny and pathetic and small, I don't feel satisfied... I feel cheated. :laugh:
    That's why I buy small bowls. It's a mental trick, but when you put servings in small bowls or small plates, they look bigger. I have a few half-cup sized bowls, so when I portion out the ice cream (with a scale) it's still a full bowl, and I feel good with that. :happy:
  • imlosing
    imlosing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found a diet book at a thrift store that had some great advice about right thinking towards the junk foods that blow our diets. It is called "Thin Tastes Better: Control your food triggers and Lose Weight without feeling Deprived" by Stephen Gullo, PH.D.

Part One is Why we eat the way we do:
    Few of us overeat because of excessive appetite.
    Easily abused foods are so readily available.
    The threat that in partaking of the food is destroying our health often isn't strong enough to offset the immediate gratification of
    satisfying the whim of the moment.

Part Two Steps to Food Control:
    Know what my tirgger foods are.
    Know what my trigger situations are.
    For those foods that result in extreme overeating (not a single serving), abstinence is better than moderation.
    The fact that my "favorite" food has made me fat, unhealthy, and miserable is a thought we need to repeat over and over.
    We must change our thinking about food, instead of putting all the focus on a few minutes of taste, how it feels now, and
    completely deny the cost. Only kids live in a dream world thinking they can have it all without any cost.
    In accepting the true cost of junk food, we begin to stop resenting what we have to do to keep our body healthy. It takes work.
    Winners at weight loss KNOW they have eaten it all and it did not bring happiness but misery. They are happier for having
    NOT had the junk that destroys their health. They see
    Make your food choicess KNOWING you either walk away and gain a better happiness, or eat the food with the full knowledge
    that if you eat it you'll have to wear it. Take responsibility for your choices. With each "No" you gain a little more control.
    Time and avoidance can change our desire for a trigger food.
    Think of the food choice as a business-person: am I making a good deal if I eat this?
    With certain foods, it is easier to pass them up entirely than say "just a little", which leads to binge eating in cycles.
    Having alittle is much harder than having none. Make sure those foods are not available.
    There are entire societies that live without the "benefit" of chips, dips, fries, cookies, candy, etc. We don't need them to survive.

He says a lot more, and gives healthy recipes too. He also gives charts of suggested reminders to use: "A treat? Losing weight is a better treat"; "I don't reward myself with things that cause me pain."; "What is so good about it? It has made me obese."; "Cravings last only a few minutes. Thin is worth that."; "Not fair I can't have dessert? Desserts made me fat and miserable."; "Vacation time so I can go off my diet? I've had a longer vacation from good judegment with bad eating for years, I don't need another 7 days."

Good stuff. We really just have to stop lieing to ourselves!
  • getfitgethappy
    Options
    You are not alone and NOTHING is wrong with you. Often we eat as a response to triggers other than hunger, especially if we sit there eating, knowing we don't need to be. So, ask yourself what happened just prior to the walk to the kitchen? Did you have an argument? get some bad news? Feel guilty? Bored? Start to feel skinny and thought you could "handle" it? There are many reasons to have a binge, and it's usuallly emotional. That's a good place to start.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This place really brings tears to eyes. If I went to my husband (who is supportive but is fit and just doesn't get it) He would just say "well you only had a little" or "so don't eat it if it makes you feel this way" Where as you guys understand. You totally understand. Thank you.
    It is like many things in life as the old saying goes,"... you do not know what ppl go through unless you walk a mile in their shoes"! Your hubby may not be able to truly understand but that is okay that is why you are here like the rest of us! What support you can't get from him allow the good ppl here to help. There are so many awesome ppl here that do understand, don't give up okay? You'll be fine!! ;)
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    We all have the same issue to some degree or another... you mentioned Ice Cream... mine is potato chips and soda. I just can NOT keep those 2 things in the house because I cant stop eating them if I start. I have not had even one chip in well over a month and the only soda I had was a coke zero when I was out to dinner with a friend (a preplanned indulgence)

Other than that I have to use portion control. For example when I buy a box of cheeze its (reduced fat of course) I take the entire box, get out my scale and snack baggies and go to town! That way when I'm hungry and want a salty treat I grab a baggie and know that I am not breaking the calorie bank for the day. I don't have the same problem with sweet things and I can scoop out a 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt and be content. I recommend portioned controled single serves of those trigger items!

Sorry to hear that your husband doesn't understand. I'm actually quite lucky because all I have to do is look at my boyfriend (who is an athlete and eats 3 times what I do in a day) and he knows I am about to drown myself in calories and he talks me through it! Maybe if you explain to him that you need help and not excuses ("well you only had a little) or quick fixes that never work ("so don't eat it..."). My BF had permission to literally take a plate out from in front of me, especially at restuarants, when he can tell I am no longer hunger eating and just picking or clean the plate eating (if that makes sense) and it REALLY helps! Of course it took us a while to get to this place I have been battling weight for quite a while but when I'm trying hard he's right there with me.
  • cocoanicky
    cocoanicky Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    IM THE TYPE OF PERSON THAT IF IM FULL I JUST DONT IT. I HAVE CHILDREN AND WE HAVE A LOT OF SNACKS IN MY HOUSE, BUT WHAT I DO I JUST DRINK A LOT OF WATER. BUT THE GOOD THING ABOUT MYSELF IM NOT REALLY A SWEETS PERSON. BUT ITS OK TO TREAT YOUSELF ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK JUST DONT OVER DO IT.:happy:
  • LeCitron
    LeCitron Posts: 71
    Options
    I have problems like this too. Like last night, in fact. If you're like me then your brain just goes on autopilot and no amount of ice cream is enough to satisfy this... I don't know, desire to eat, I guess. Last night I ended up eating so much my stomach was painfully full. I just couldn't seem to stop.

I guess I can be thankful that days like this don't happen often. Don't give up hope on getting this under control. You and I might have a long way to go but it's just getting there that's the hard part! :)
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I know exactly what you mean! My weakness is cookies...if I eat one I'm likely to end up eating 5 or more without even realizing it. One thing that I have found that helps a little is to think about how hard I'd have to exercise to burn that junk food off. When I realize that I'd have to push it really hard for a whole hour to burn the calories off then the cookies suddenly lose their appeal :wink:
  • RedNeckGal1970
    Options
    Ok... so maybe I am the only weird one on here... but that's ok! My husband and my daughter bring in a lot of junkie food... they say they do it out of love, yet I'm always thinking, "If you love me, you'd understand and quit trying to 'Sabotage' all my efforts." I even cook different for them... I'm getting to the point now that I just cook good healthy meals, and they can take it or leave it. Surely it's not going to kill them to eat a good healthy not extremely fattening meal. Anyways, back to the point. When I am soooo over taken with a craving or desire for ice cream, cookies or chips... or some other food that isn't going to be helpful to me... I literally go into the bathroom get undressed and stand in front of the full length mirror. YUCK! That almost always (95%of the time) kills any desire I have for this food. Seeing the naked "now"me is pretty rough discipline for myself. Then there are times... I just have to say Eff it. I'm doing it, and even then I usually get a bite or two in my mouth and get the mental visual of what I just saw, and spit the food out.
  • BeautifulMe322
    BeautifulMe322 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So I can't take back the ice cream. No use dwelling on it. Instead I took a brisk walk the 1.5 miles to the store and back, burned 212 calories ( the ice cream was 420). I am still under for the day. I bought chicken breast and sweet corn on the cob for dinner. All I can do when I slip is learn from it, compensate for it and move on. Giving up is not an option and beating myself up over it is not going to make me feel any better about it.
  • agent300
    agent300 Posts: 73
    Options
    Ok... so maybe I am the only weird one on here... but that's ok! My husband and my daughter bring in a lot of junkie food... they say they do it out of love, yet I'm always thinking, "If you love me, you'd understand and quit trying to 'Sabotage' all my efforts." I even cook different for them... I'm getting to the point now that I just cook good healthy meals, and they can take it or leave it. Surely it's not going to kill them to eat a good healthy not extremely fattening meal. Anyways, back to the point. When I am soooo over taken with a craving or desire for ice cream, cookies or chips... or some other food that isn't going to be helpful to me... I literally go into the bathroom get undressed and stand in front of the full length mirror. YUCK! That almost always (95%of the time) kills any desire I have for this food. Seeing the naked "now"me is pretty rough discipline for myself. Then there are times... I just have to say Eff it. I'm doing it, and even then I usually get a bite or two in my mouth and get the mental visual of what I just saw, and spit the food out.

good points here. by looking in the mirror, you can either choose to binge and bad food and stay looking like we do, or choose not to and look how we want to.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I certainly cannot tell you what is wrong with you, but I can sure share what is wrong with me. I have lost control over me eating, especially sweets. I cannot moderate with those. If I give in and have 'a bite', it starts a cycle that is really hard to get out of. I know this about me. Therefore I choose not to start. Sometimes I go look at myself in the mirror (naked if necessary). Sometimes I grab a handful of roll around my middle. Then I compare what I looked like when I weighed my ideal weight. Usually that will make me lose my appetite (LOL). Good luck. It's a daily struggle sometimes.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said already, keep it out of the house. If you have to have it in the house then always measure out the portion in a small bowl...and eat it in another room! Never eat from the container, seriously the second you decide to eat straight from the container, you're done, the ice cream will win every time. I've been faced with this myself. And of course if it happens every once in awhile it's not a big deal...but if it happens every night then I know I'm undoing any good I've been doing for the rest of the day/week.
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I concur.
    Keep the ice cream out of your house. Whenever you want to allow some in moderation, go buy an ice cream cone from McDonalds (150 calories). Go through the drive thru so you can't go back for more.
  • athenawho
    athenawho Posts: 253
    Options
    "My motivation to lose weight is stronger than my desire to eat sweets" that's what I tell myself when I get a hankering.

But I found this Fiber one brownies that are 90 calories, and its a great way to have a low-calorie dessert, get my sweet tooth satisfied, and get my fiber for the day, all in one delicious brownie.

I personally am not an ice cream person, but I know that they have SkinnyCow (I think thats what its called) that has individually wrapped ice cream bars and cookies that are under 200 calories a piece.

Also, Swiss Miss makes a sugar free chocolate pudding that's 70 calories!

It's so much easier to work in 70-200 calories into a diet.
  • MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    Watch your carb intake.. When you eat carbs it turns into sugar.. Always eat a protein with the carb so it balances out. That will help with the craving of wanting more.. The more carbs you eat, the more you want..

This is great advice! I am going to start using this and see if it helps my carb addiction!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My trick is to ALWAYS bring out my little bowls or small cup and have what I want but portion out a small serving only. Never eat out of the container or have more than a small portion at a time.

this I totaly do the same never out of the container I break it into single portion sizes and have one serving