40 pounds and I don't see the difference

Options
espinozAgal
espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
Hello fitness pals,
I have been on mfp for about 8 months now, but this is my first post. i have now lost 40 pounds but i look in the mirror and don't see a difference. I dont think anyone else see's the difference either. My husband says he does, but he may just be trying to lift my spirits! I have gone down 2 clothes sizes but still...I don't see the physical difference in my body.
I was at the grocery store with a friend the other day and I was buying yogurt, strawberries and some veggies. She said to me, "that's all you eat" and I told her no, this is just some stuff I needed to stock up on. She then said, " no wonder there is no change in you". Now maybe..ok probably, I'm just being over sensitive, but really i know she is being honest.
I don't know how to post pics on here yet so I can't show you what I am seeing. When will I start seeing the difference??

Replies

• kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Are you sure she's being honest? Because honey, after 40 lbs and two sizes, there's a difference. Maybe some new clothes are in order to show off your smallness!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    hmm.. might depend on how heavy you started at. Many times, you don't see a huge difference when you're really big.

Your friend was kinda rude, imho...

If you have pictures on a server like photobucket, then just get the address of the pictures you want, and put them in a post with [ img] in front with no spaces and [ /img] at the end.

Such as: [ img]http:blah.blah.com/picture123.jpg[ /img]
  • MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    You see yourself every day and I'm sure your friend sees you a lot as well. I know the only people that notice the weight I have lost are people I dont see that often. Don't get discouraged, I am sure if you posted pics we would all see it. Keep that chin up! 40lbs is a huge accomplishment!!! Congrats to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Your body may still be in the same shape, only a smaller form of that same shape. How do you feel? Do you have more energy and endurance? Do you feel healthier? That's where it pays off at. Also, did you see your doctor before staring this to get a physical to see where you were verses where you are now? The pay off is sometimes in the shape of your physical self, but it is mainly in your over all well being.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Some people lose weight only from certain areas and others lose it all over. You are probably losing it all over so it doesn't seem like a big change. But trust me, if you went down 2 sizes you have definitely changed! 40 pounds is a great victory! Be proud of yourself :happy:
  • wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    I'm sure you can see a difference especially being down 2 sizes. Its hard to see it in yourself or for others who see you all the time. Im sure you look great!
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to post pictures either. But, I hope some one will help you with that. You can always go to the help window and search the topic.....

I'm sure there is a major change. You can't see it because you see yourself everyday. That person who said there was no change is not being truthful. 40lbs! Give me a break.... Sounds like you might have a hater.

Repost when you figure it out. I'd love to see your pictures.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!

Even though you lost two dress sizes, have you bought clothes in your new size? Wearing your old clothes will hide your figure and make you look bigger. Clothes that fit and are a tailored cut (jackets nipped in the waist, flat front pants, etc) will show off your progress! Avoid the big t-shirt and baggy jeans look because that will just hide your body. (yes, I watch a lot of "what not to wear"!!!!! :)

Also, beware of only "seeing" yourself as overweight in your mind!

You are doing great. Keep up the good work!
  • Sarahcuda
    Sarahcuda Posts: 76
    Options
    I TOTALY feel your pain. I kinda see a diference some days. I've lost 50 lbs in the last 2 years, some clothes fit better, and I've gone down a size, but still most of the time I look in the mirror or at pics and I don't see a difference. It is really discouraging at times. But I know if I keep it up, I will continue to lose and eventually my perception of how I see myself will hopefully also change.

Good luck.
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    There is a difference. I don't see mine either, but I feel it in my clothes; and others ask me have a lost some weight. So it's there. Don't get discouraged and don't pay any attention to your "friend". I bet she see's a difference, but just wants to keep you down.
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    wow.. you are all so encouraging and nice!! I wish I had friends like you all in my neighborhood!! I started at 218 and weighed in this morning at 178. I'll try to post pics now.
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    u r 2 dress sizes down thts the difference! anyways do some workout for NSVs
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I bet that friend was just jealous!!!
  • judgementbh
    judgementbh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    With regards to the weight loss, are you exercising and watching what you eat or are you just watching what you eat? I've read lately that if you lose weight without exercising you are losing both fat and muscle. Then if you gain weight back at all you are gaining only fat. Long story short, it is possible that with your weight loss you might have lost more muscle than actual fat if you haven't been exercising. Throw in a 2-3 days a week of cardio and some light weight training if you haven't already and I think it will help. Eitherway, congratulations on losing 40 pounds! That is not easy!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've lost about the same 38lbs... and i do feel good within myself, feel more energetic, more comfortable, sleeping better, fitter, stronger etc. but i go to the gym, around all these skinny girls, and I still feel like the fattest person in the class. it sucks. but i guess you have to just keep on chipping away, and one day you'll wake up, catch a reflection of yourself, and go "WOW, is that really me?" Unfortunately, i'm short, so i have to get to a ridiculous weight to look thin, i'll always be a little chubby.

I feel like now that i've hit a plateau, i have reset my opinion of what is acceptable for myself, and i feel fat again, my fat seems to be sticking out in other spots that are conspicuous...

and at work the other day someone asked me what i wanted from going to the gym... and i said weight loss, and i then said, "I have lost 17kg since christmas"... he didn't even know it. I know my work uniform is gross, my shirt is too big for me, and the cap doesn't look great on me either, i only work 2 mornings a week, so i'm not outlaying more money for clothes that get ruined at work, i'm just wearing old jeans that are stretched beyond belief and that fit poorly. but serioulsy, all my clothes are too big for me, i don't sweat profusely while trying to do my job anymore, and my face looks alot thinner, my double chin is almost gone, i thought it was obvious, that i'm not as fat as i way... the women have noticed, but the men, nup...
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    While it will be nice when people notice, you are doing this to be heatlhy, and 2 dress sizes down and less on the scale means you are doing it! No matter what anyone says :-). I have a LOT of weight to lose, right now i've lost only about 30 lbs and honestly, it doesnt' make a difference in me that is noticeable, even my clothes still fit, just slightly looser. People are started to mention "your hair looks good" and things like that, because something is slightly different, but they don't know what. I know that at some point it will be impossible not to see it physically, but honestly if no one sees it what does it matter, i'm getting healthy!
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    Hey!
    First, congrats on losing 40 lbs, that is a huuuge accomplishment! People like you keep me going.
    I think that when you see yourself on the mirror everyday, you might not see the difference...but you lost two sizes! An alternative is that you might be losing from areas that you don't tend to look at, face, arms, etc. Eventually, you will notice a difference in every part. Another alternative would be looking at pictures from before. Compare you clothes, put them side to side, and you'll see.
    As far as you friend, she is rude. Really, you should worrry about people like that. You should care about those who love you and are close to you.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I agree that you may need to get some better fitting clothes to show off the new shape. Also, I always thought I was fat until I looked at my pictures and saw that I wasn't the whale I thought I was. When you look at your own picture, or look in the mirror, it seems you never see the difference. I've had the same experience many times, but I'm sure there is a difference and your 'friend' may be a little jealous. Just sayin'...........
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hello fitness pals,
    I have been on mfp for about 8 months now, but this is my first post. i have now lost 40 pounds but i look in the mirror and don't see a difference. I dont think anyone else see's the difference either. My husband says he does, but he may just be trying to lift my spirits! I have gone down 2 clothes sizes but still...I don't see the physical difference in my body.
    I was at the grocery store with a friend the other day and I was buying yogurt, strawberries and some veggies. She said to me, "that's all you eat" and I told her no, this is just some stuff I needed to stock up on. She then said, " no wonder there is no change in you". Now maybe..ok probably, I'm just being over sensitive, but really i know she is being honest.
    I don't know how to post pics on here yet so I can't show you what I am seeing. When will I start seeing the difference??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/162452-posting-a-picture-to-an-mfp-blog-tutorial

There can't NOT be a huge change, you've come so far, share your photos with the above instructions and WE'LL be honest and cheer you on!!:drinker: :heart:
    ETA: to add OP quote :wink:
  • Pudgemuffin1
    Pudgemuffin1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I bet you look fantastic maybe you are too hard on yourself I am betting you look great that is alot to lose be proud of what you have accomplished and keep up the great work!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!