Cooking Challenge: Spaghetti Squash

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the forty-first round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from scapez, the winner of the artichoke cooking challenge.

A4spaghe.jpg

This week's challenge is SPAGHETTI SQUASH.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday August 6th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch for recipes!
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I don't think spaghetti squash is in season until the fall . . .or am I wrong? I guess it depends on where you live.
  • tabithon
    tabithon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i love spaghetti squash!! It is a perfect way to eat "carbs" without all the calories!

Here's one to get you started:

NAME OF RECIPE: Spaghetti Squash "Taco" Meat:
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 Spaghetti Squash
    1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
    1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
    7-10 jalapenos (or other chilies) - I like really spicy food, so you can tone down depending on your tastes
    1 red onion, diced
    1 package taco seasoning mix
    3 cloves garlic, minced (I use one whole bulb, but I like garlic!)

DIRECTIONS:
    Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds
    Place cut side down on a baking dish and cook 30 min at 350 or until squash is tender
    separate strands with a fork
    In a pan, cook bell pepper, jalapenos, onion, and garlic together until onions are no longer firm (the juices from the bell pepper will act as the cooking medium, so you don't need olive oil, but you can add, if it makes you feel better!)
    Add squash strands and cook for 5 mins
    Follow directions on the back of the taco seasoning packet and add to the "meat" mixture
    *Note, be careful on the water, I used about 3/4 of what it says on the back of the package)
    Allow to cool and serve on either taco shells, tortilla shells, or great just by itself
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 45 (not including your shell)
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 8
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I'm not a vegetarian, but I love this, and I eat it all the time!! I make a bunch and freeze it into individual servings so I can thaw it out and eat whenever.

I hope that you guys enjoy this! I highly suggest spaghetti squash if you have never tried it. Spaghetti squash is also a great substitute for pasta, and I eat it regularly as fettuchini (spelling?) alfredo.

Happy eating!
  • tabithon
    Options
    @Faith: Spaghetti squash, while termed a "winter squash", actually grows in the spring/summer just like regular squash. Depending on the climate, it can grow all the way through the fall, which is when most people eat it. I picked my first spaghetti squash in March down in South Alabama where I live.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've had one sitting on my counter for 2 weeks now and I have no clue what to do with it.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    @Faith: Spaghetti squash, while termed a "winter squash", actually grows in the spring/summer just like regular squash. Depending on the climate, it can grow all the way through the fall, which is when most people eat it. I picked my first spaghetti squash in March down in South Alabama where I live.

Ah. I stand corrected. I think I just really don't like spaghetti squash, and it's one of the few foods I don't like. As a rule, I love squash.
  • tabithon
    Options
    No problem! I'm a huge lover of squash, every variety. I have heard that some people don't like spaghetti squash, but maybe it wasn't prepared properly...if you are willing to give it a go, try it made different ways! :smile:
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    No problem! I'm a huge lover of squash, every variety. I have heard that some people don't like spaghetti squash, but maybe it wasn't prepared properly...if you are willing to give it a go, try it made different ways! :smile:

I had the BEST pattypan squash yesterday from my local farmer's market. It was really small and tender. So flavorful!

Maybe I'll try to work w/ spaghetti squash again. It's been several years since I've had it.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

They are called winter squash because they last through the winter and people can eat them during that time. Summer squashes don't keep and therefore must be eaten in the summer. Just FYI. :)
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    bought one last night, now to whip something up.

That taco meat sounds great!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    buh bump.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump!! I need some recipes :) I'll try to think of something to add if I can
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to see the nummy recipes that come in! I suggested spaghetti squash since I've never tried it and would love to see some great ways to prepare it!
  • thomasdyre
    thomasdyre Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump... gonna try the taco meat
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    How do YOU prepare your spaghetti squash?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I don't have a huge repertoire but I don't eat pasta so I use this in almost any pasta type dish.

To cook: I pierce the skin in several places with a knife, not prick, pierce or it may explode in your microwave. Then I put the whole thing in the microwave and cook for 10-15 minutes depending on the size. It's done when it feels slightly soft to the touch. If the exploding thing scares you, you can cut it in half first, and microwave cut side down. Then, remove, cut in half and let cool to handle, scoop out the seeds and discard. Then get a fork, and scrape the flesh until it comes loose in strings. Use like you would spaghetti or other pasta.

I like it:

with marinara and homemade meatballs or meatsauce
    with pesto and chicken sausage
    with mushrooms, garlic, pine nuts sauteed in olive oil and a dash of white wine
    with a mock Alfredo sauce- sorry I don't have the exact ingredients- heat 1 clove chopped garlic in saute pan in a little olive oil until fragrant, then add equal parts chicken stock & white wine (1/4 to 1/2c each I think?) until simmer, then stir in cream cheese until it makes a sauce. salt & pepper to taste, sprinkle Parmesan on top. I think 1/4c stock & wine each to 4oz cream cheese

you can experiment with it in casserole dishes, frittatas, etc.

If you don't like spaghetti squash, I have done the same thing with yellow summer squash and zucchini by using a julienne peeler to get long strands or even a regular vegetable peeler. You may have to stop at the seedy part if the seeds are big, just cut that part up to use in salads or soups. Steam the squash and use as above.