Cooking Challenge: Spaghetti Squash

Options

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I don't have a huge repertoire but I don't eat pasta so I use this in almost any pasta type dish.

To cook: I pierce the skin in several places with a knife, not prick, pierce or it may explode in your microwave. Then I put the whole thing in the microwave and cook for 10-15 minutes depending on the size. It's done when it feels slightly soft to the touch. If the exploding thing scares you, you can cut it in half first, and microwave cut side down. Then, remove, cut in half and let cool to handle, scoop out the seeds and discard. Then get a fork, and scrape the flesh until it comes loose in strings. Use like you would spaghetti or other pasta.

I like it:

with marinara and homemade meatballs or meatsauce
    with pesto and chicken sausage
    with mushrooms, garlic, pine nuts sauteed in olive oil and a dash of white wine
    with a mock Alfredo sauce- sorry I don't have the exact ingredients- heat 1 clove chopped garlic in saute pan in a little olive oil until fragrant, then add equal parts chicken stock & white wine (1/4 to 1/2c each I think?) until simmer, then stir in cream cheese until it makes a sauce. salt & pepper to taste, sprinkle Parmesan on top. I think 1/4c stock & wine each to 4oz cream cheese

you can experiment with it in casserole dishes, frittatas, etc.

If you don't like spaghetti squash, I have done the same thing with yellow summer squash and zucchini by using a julienne peeler to get long strands or even a regular vegetable peeler. You may have to stop at the seedy part if the seeds are big, just cut that part up to use in salads or soups. Steam the squash and use as above.

This sounds so easy! I bought a spaghetti squash the other day at the farmers' market and have never cooked one before - but it was one of the items on my food list that my trainer gave me. I was planning on making it for dinner tomorrow night and got on here to look for a recipe. I may just try this one!!
  • katnat0709
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash, and I am SUPER picky eater! I first had it when I was pregnant with my oldest and have been hooked ever since. Even my kids will gobble it down and ask for seconds and thirds!

I just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, stab it with a fork about a bazillion times (picture my ex-husband's face makes this super therapuetic... just sayin').... turn it cut side down on a cookie sheet and back it at 475 for about 30 minutes (more of less depending on size...) basically bake the sucker til it's tender. Then take a fork and scrape the inside meat out.
    I serve this as spaghetti (ground turkey meat, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, and spaghetti sauce out of a jar)... The more veggies i can "hide" from myself, er... my kids... , the better!
  • Heather3186
    Options
    thanks for posting! Trying this!
  • camckinney
    camckinney Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Love this idea regarding the cooking challenge. This is the first time I've seen this type of challenge. Excited to try the new recipe's as well. Thanks everyone and the original poster. Think I will search for the previous challenges to get ideas.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat it in place of spaghetti but, it never occured to me to serve it with alfredo sauce! YUM! Thanks for the great idea! Can't wait to try it! Not sure about using as a substitute for taco meat but, I won't knock it until I try it!

I did use it as a substitute for Chicken and Noodles but it wasn't as yummy as it is with spaghetti sauce. Although, it also wasn't half bad either! It sure tasted better than those tofu noodles! YUCK!
  • ckenning
    ckenning Posts: 71
    Options
    I have one on my counter too!
    Bump
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    You have 5 more hours to share your spaghetti squash recipes! Unfortunately I won't be able to enter in this challenge, but I hope to see many more entries before time is up!
  • amandapri82
    amandapri82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just read an article the other day about using spag squash in place of spag noodles when making spag. Was thinking of trying it. My kids love veggies, wonder if they would notice! :happy:
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i love spaghetti squash!! It is a perfect way to eat "carbs" without all the calories!

Here's one to get you started:

NAME OF RECIPE: Spaghetti Squash "Taco" Meat:
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 Spaghetti Squash
    1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
    1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
    7-10 jalapenos (or other chilies) - I like really spicy food, so you can tone down depending on your tastes
    1 red onion, diced
    1 package taco seasoning mix
    3 cloves garlic, minced (I use one whole bulb, but I like garlic!)

DIRECTIONS:
    Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds
    Place cut side down on a baking dish and cook 30 min at 350 or until squash is tender
    separate strands with a fork
    In a pan, cook bell pepper, jalapenos, onion, and garlic together until onions are no longer firm (the juices from the bell pepper will act as the cooking medium, so you don't need olive oil, but you can add, if it makes you feel better!)
    Add squash strands and cook for 5 mins
    Follow directions on the back of the taco seasoning packet and add to the "meat" mixture
    *Note, be careful on the water, I used about 3/4 of what it says on the back of the package)
    Allow to cool and serve on either taco shells, tortilla shells, or great just by itself
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 45 (not including your shell)
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 8
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I'm not a vegetarian, but I love this, and I eat it all the time!! I make a bunch and freeze it into individual servings so I can thaw it out and eat whenever.

I hope that you guys enjoy this! I highly suggest spaghetti squash if you have never tried it. Spaghetti squash is also a great substitute for pasta, and I eat it regularly as fettuchini (spelling?) alfredo.

Happy eating!

That sounds soo good- I will have to try it!
  • flash3967
    Options
    One of our families favorite fattening dish is called "Baked Spaghetti" So, naturally we decided to see if we could replicate it using a spaghetti squash. Much to our surprise it worked!! We actually like eating it cold the next day. ( It seems to thicken up a bit after chilling out in the fridge) Okay here goes:

I pierce one large or 2 small spaghetti squash with a fork ( great for anger management) and then put it into the microwave. ( my microwave has a setting for cooking hard fresh veggies) cut and seed the squashand set aside to cool. Take 2 large celery stalks, a very large onion ( you can chop in processor.Heat some oil ( no more than 8 tablespoons of oil ( I used canola light) and cook the chopped veggies and add a drained can of delmonte diced tom...atos. ( do not brown veggies) add can on regular campbell tomato soup and spaghetti squash or pasta. bake in a well greased pyrex at 375 for 40 min and brown top with broiler. that's the recipe!
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    bump! I have a great spaghetti squash recipe at home (I'm at work now). I'll try to post it tomorrow for everybody. I know the official "voting" will be over by then, but I still want to share! :bigsmile:
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    Bump! I love spaghetti squash. I was thinking of making it, roasted in the oven upside down, scrape out the innerds, top with grilled egg plant, maranara sauce, fresh parmesean cheese. Oh and add some grilled red pepper too... I should have bought one today when I was at the store...
    Gunna try the taco recipie and see if I can pull one over on my husband.:O
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Time to vote!!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

Get your votes in before 5PM PST on Wednesday August 10th.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Bump!
    I need ideas. I love the thought of spaghetti squash but never seem to get it right!
  • wannabahotmom
    Options
    bump
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I have a really hard time cutting it when it's raw. I put the whole thing in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Let cool then cut in half, scoop out seeds and used in recipe. I Usually just use it in place of pasta. Yum!
  • cutelashawn
    Options
    BUMP
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    On the aspect of originality, I vote for the taco spaghetti squash recipe!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    One day left to vote!!