Pregnancy – August 2011

Options

Replies

• meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hey Ronya, sorry you are having a crappy day :ohwell:

Stacy - we are going to try the G Diapers - you buy outer covers and then can choose from either cloth or biodegradable disposable inserts. I think that at first, for newborn, I'll do eco friendly regular disposables though because of issues I've heard of with the cloth and the like being problematic before the cord has dropped off.

Jen - sounds like it's tricky at first getting a handle on the testing and eating thing but you'll get into the swing of it soon I'm sure. :flowerforyou:

Melissa - if he were mine he'd be sleeping on the couch :laugh:

SO went to the doc today ( a new one as I've started rotating through the practice, dumb idea if you ask me because I'll only have time to rotate through 4 out of the 7 other docs so the probability of my midwife not being available and me getting one of the docs I have met for 5 mins is pretty slim. It's not like I'm developing a relationship with them at all....rant over) and did my sugar test, easier to get it down this time since I'm no longer nauseous but still pretty gross. It made me feel a bit twitchy but just waiting for the results now. Asked the doc about the painful contraction I had over the weekend and she said that much like the painless BH contractions, painful contractions should only be a concern if they are coming 3-4 times per hour. So I'm cleared to swim again but I'm not going to be happy if I get another cramp like that one :ohwell: :grumble: :explode:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Stacy - I tried cloth with my first and hated it. She was a couple months at the time, so it wasn't an issue with meconium or anything, it was just that the diaper didn't hold anything in, even with the plastic cover, and she was so wiggly that I was afraid I was going to stick her with a pin. This was a looooong time ago, though, and I'm completely unfamiliar with what they have available now ... do you even use pins with the new covers? I've thought a couple of times of trying cloth again, but the thought of washing them out is just still icky for me. I'm a reduce-reuse-recycle nut, but I'm afraid it stops at hygiene items. (If anyone has suggestions of a good, easy cloth diaper, though, I'm willing to listen).

Victoria - I never understood the rotating thing, either. My dr's office doesn't routinely do it, but if the doctor is going to be out of town when your supposed to go in next they'll give you the option of seeing another. But I've been seeing my doctor for 14 years now, and like to stay with him, even if he's only delivered 1 of my 3 so far, lol.

Katrina - cute pics! The regular one is a really good profile, IMO. At our first ultrasound, baby kept mashing his face into the placenta, too, and we never got a good profile. And kept pushing his back against the uterine wall, so it was hard to get good look at the spine (which was super important!!) Have had a few since then, and he's a bit more cooperative, but I still haven't gotten a good face shot I really like. Glad you got the necessary shots!

Jen - yay for the good BP. Sorry to hear you're still having to adjust to the whole carb restriction/GD thing. Hang on for a couple more months, you can do it!

AFM - Just found out the church, where we were hoping to have the baby shower, is booking up that whole day. Wish we'd called sooner :grumble: So now we're trying to figure out another place. I'm afraid our apartment isn't big enough (and parking is almost non-existant). Hubby suggested a pavilion at the park might work. Not in the afternoon at the end of August, it won't! Need to decide really quickly because I want to get invites out within a week.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Oh Yeah, Julz - you reminded me, my sis is sending out the shower invites this week and I'm excited !!!!!
    A mutual friend offered to host it in her loft which is sooo awesome. I cannot wait !:bigsmile:
    Hope you find a good venue soon - community center? private room in the town library?
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    Melissa- so sorry about having a crappy night/morning. Hopefully things get better for you soon! I have a random question. You are from NZ right? How did you end up in the US?

Ronya- I posted on the other board, but sorry about your bad day/being sick.

Stacy- I am using disposables for the newborn stage, and cloth for when the baby reaches 10lbs or so. Which, you never know, that could be at birth! Lol. I bought about 40 cloth diapers (second hand) for like $120. And they are supposed to last until the baby is 20+lbs so I figured I will get my moneys worth! I also made my own baby wipes out of really soft flannel, and then you make your own solution out of water/vinegar/tea tree oil and a few other things. I will just wash that with the diapers.

Michelle- Yes, I definitely know from all of my research that most first time baby’s are late. In fact, my doula tells me that the average gestation for a first time mom is 41+3. Great! LOL. Just hoping I don’t go quite that late! My mom had my sister (her first) only a couple days after her due date, and she was breech (delivered naturally), so hopefully that will be me.

Katrina- Love the photos! I am having an ultrasound on Thursday to check the fluid/size, so maybe I can get a good picture then too! Our last one was not that great it was hard to see anything. Oh yeah and the weird thing about your list- on my laptop it was super small and I could not make it out. But I am on our desktop right now that has a much larger screen and I can see it clearly! Weird!

Jen- Wow, that all sounds so complicated!! Sounds like you are managing really well though, good for you!! Glad your BP is staying under control as well.

Victoria- Glad that you got the ok to swim again! Good to know on the painful contractions as well. I got an awful stabbing pain today that only lasted a minute. I am really hoping it was something OTHER than a contraction because that hurt!

Julz- What about a friends house? Hope you can find somewhere soon!
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    AFM: Well, I went on a cleaning rampage today. Nesting I think? Feels good to have it done, I just need to keep it that way until I go into labour. I changed the sheets, scrubbed the bathroom and the tub, watered the front lawn and flowers, cleaned the kitchen (cleaned out a huge cupboard for baby paraphernalia - bottles, soft spoons, etc), swept and mopped every floor in the house (all 1300 square feet of the main floor), did all the dusting, currently working on laundry, and put a roast in the crock pot. I am pooped!

I have all of this energy, but I pay for it at night time with a sore back, especially from doing a bunch of yard work yesteday and bending over lots.

Hubby has been pretty sick this weekend and is still not feeling well today- though he went to work anyways (yesterday was a holiday here). He is worried he has bronchitis because he said that it feels different than a cold, and that his boss just got over bronchitis. Is it contageous? I really really really don't want to get sick right now! That is like the absolute worst thing that could happen. He has not slept in our bed since last Wednesday, he has been in the spare room because he coughs a lot and keeps me awake. It does not seem to be getting better!
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Just looked at our credit card statement online and there is a $400 charge from a jewelry store in the city. Same one we got our wedding rings at. Isn't that interesting! Hubby talked about getting me a gift for the baby... but $400? That is a bit extreme. Perhaps it is the "anniversary" ring that goes with my engagement/wedding band. If only I could still wear them! My hands are so swollen. I am excited now! But I can't let on that I know!
  • chelledmal
    chelledmal Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ronya- So sorry you're not feeling well. Being sick and throwing up doesn't seem like a fun combination. Hope you feel better soon!

Stacy- I've never used cloth diapers myself, but my cousin does and loves them. She bought a one size fits all brand. I think she said her favorite was "bumgenious" They have inserts I believe and little buttons on the side of some of them. All very cute! She uses them right now for just around the house and quick outings and then she uses disposable ones for longer outings. She uses Rockin' Green Detergent to wash them in and she said they come clean very easily for her two girls..Olivia is 22 months and Lily is 2 months. Good luck with your research!

Katrina- Great photos! How exciting!

Jen- Lots of new things to learn about and experience, but you'll do great once you figure out what works best for you. My mother is a diabetic- I'm not sure how close that is to pregnancy related diabetes- but small frequent meals throughout the day seem to help best. Not lots of carbs like white potatoes since they convert to sugar, and drinking tons of water! Hope tomorrow is easier on you than today!

Julz- Hope you're able to figure out something that best fits your needs for the baby shower!

Victoria- that's probably frustrating to not be able to see the same person over and over...that would extremely annoying to me! I'm glad I just one midwife through the whole thing since she runs her own business.

I just talked to one of my friends who is almost finished with her certification as a doula. We will be getting together within the next few months to decide what all I would like her to help me with during labor etc. So I'm really excited! I didn't have certified doula at my last birth, but my midwife's student might as well been one. She was fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing how I handle my pain this time with the doula's birthing techniques and positions. I also just got off the phone and scheduled my first u/s! I am looking forward to that as well! The only down side is my husband won't be able to go with me :sad: He will be working really late night shifts next week and my appointment is in downtown Houston at 7:30am and I would hate to ask him to get out of bed if he'd only just layed down to sleep! I am just hoping everything looks normal this time around with the cord and such and fluid levels are great. And of course just being able to hear the heartbeat for the first time will make me feel 56,000 times better! :heart: On yet another wonderful note, I have been feeling almost zero nausea the past two days. Hopefully hitting that 13week mark sent my hormone levels down a little!
  • chelledmal
    Options
    Here is the list I was keeping to help me keep everyone straight. Post your info if you want me to add you to the list!
    mfplist.jpg

I can read it just fine! What a good idea :smile:
    Here's my information: Michelle- EDD 2/5/12- Will find out the gender soon- 1Boy

After seeing this over and over the past few days, I realized I completely didn't see my own information that was already there until just now! Haha! Sorry about that Katrina! :tongue: :laugh:
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Ok ladies be prepared to be grossed out! I was unsure if I should tell you all this because I was afraid you might think it is weird.

I am having my placenta encapsulated. (basically your placenta is dried out, and then ground, and put into pills for mother to take).

At first, I thought this was totally gross, then i looked into it. It is supposed to help with milk supply, energy level, recovery, post partum depression. It used to be very common (it was often eaten in stew form years and years ago). And every other mammal with a placenta eats theirs. So... i figured why not! Especially since it's a service my doula will provide for pretty much no extra charge.

I am hoping it is going to make my recovery quick and easy!
  • mukie89
    mukie89 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Melissa- so sorry about having a crappy night/morning. Hopefully things get better for you soon! I have a random question. You are from NZ right? How did you end up in the US?

Rachel- how exciting about your potential gift!! let us know what happens with that :smile: I am from NZ:happy: which is an amazing country. I had just started the third year of my degree but was in an extremely bad and damaging relationship (with someone who took alot of drugs, had little motivation and was determined to bring me down with him), and life in general seemed to be heading towards a point where i needed a change. So, with encouragement from friends and family I made the huge decision to move country, to get somewhat of a fresh perspective on life. I chose america (and boston in paticular) because this is where my parents have been situated for the past few years, so it seemed like a great place to be until i got on my feet.

Soon after, I secured a job working in the Harvard informatics division doing software testing. I spent the majority of last year working, saving money, sitting a harvard paper and spending time with my parents. My mum became very ill soon after i arrived, so the timing of my arrival was quite fortuitous as my dad has ended up needing help and support.

Late in the year I met my fiance' who lived in Florida at the time, we actually met online via Eharmony which was very unexpected. He moved to Boston at the end of January and soon after that we secured our own apartment and found out we were pregnant. So its been a crazy ride! but the decision to move here was one of the best of my life. As i have mentioned before my fiance' and i will head back to nz to get married in February and i will finish my degree, but i think that America (Florida in particular) may be our eventual settling place.

thanks for asking :flowerforyou:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Melissa – so sorry you’re not sleeping well. It’s hard enough to get comfortable while pregnant, let alone when you’re sleeping patterns are so opposite. I hope you two can figure out something that works for you. And boo for a nosebleed…I used to get them all the time. They suck!

Stacy – I’ll be using disposable diapers. My hatred of doing laundry wins and the yuck factor wins out over the environment.

Fitveggie – welcome!

Katrina – thank you for sharing the u/s pictures…love them!!! So glad everything looked good.

Jen – I was talking to a co-worker today who has GD and she said it was really difficult at first but after a while she had no issues. Hopefully you’ll be able to get a good handle on everything. I’m super naive when it comes to all the GD entails, but I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Victoria – fingers crossed for you glucose test! I rotate through doctors too, but it’s the same office I’ve been going to for my yearly exams since I was 24 so it doesn’t bother me.

Julz – hope you can get find a place to hold the shower. I agree that outside at end of August would be way too hot.

Rachel – bronchitis is contagious. Hubby had it a few months ago and slept in our guest room until he was on the antibiotics for 48 hours just to be on the safe side. I hope he feels better soon and you don’t catch it. Yea for a surprise gift!!!!! If having your placenta encapsulated is something you want to do then I say go for it. I honestly don’t think I could do it, but absolutely not judgment from me. I think when it comes to anything pregnancy related you should do what’s comfortable and best for you.

Michelle – I hope your nausea is gone for good. Sorry your hubby can’t go with you to the u/s.

My throat is still a little scratchy but other than having a horrible day at work I feel a lot better. Hubby’s working on Kathryn’s room for a bit then we’re going to go for a walk and catch up on our reality TV. I’m starting to feel sick from when I wake up until at 10 or 11, which is how it was in the very beginning of my pregnancy. I’m just hoping that it’s not going to turn into all day nausea again.
  • mathjulz
    Options
    Ronya - had to giggle at your ticker statement for this week, especially after you've mentioned how active Kathryn is :laugh:
  • MissCleopatra
    Options
    Here is the list I was keeping to help me keep everyone straight. Post your info if you want me to add you to the list!
    mfplist.jpg

Hey there! May i join? I've been an MFP member for a little while now, but just found this thread, sooo... :)

Im Marie, from Derby England, and im currently 27 weeks pregnant. My due date is November 3rd. :))

I joined MFP after i got pregnant. I let myself go in the 1st trimester, after a rough time medically and being unable to exercise etc, and frankly i felt it was carte-blanche to be able t0o eat what i liked w/o any consequences... WRONG!: The idea that i was 'eating for two' and that was OK led me to lump on a large amount of weight in the 1st tri, and just after my 12 wk booking in apptmnt with the midwife i realised i had to gain back some control of my eating, my excessive weight gain, and my body in general.
    Trust me.. at 12 wks i already did not recognise myself when i looked in the mirror - i blew up so fast, and the weight i put on was awfully soft, lumpy, lardy, wobbly fat, focused mainly on my thighs - pure cellulite & all wobble! Ive always been a bit chunky but strong and firm... this loose blubber was something totally new to me! *cries*.

So anyway, since joining MFP at about 12wks pregnant ive managed to get my weight gain under control. I've still put on 15lbs in total to date, at 27wks... but a large proportion of that was before i joined. Between 12 wks and 27 wks ive gained approx 6lb, which i think is a bit more in controll than before.
    Im not sure if 6lbs is a fairly low gain for the whole of the 2nd trimester, but it all averages out over my whole pregnancy to still more than id like at 15lbs total.
    Id hoped to be able to lose my excess body fat, whilst just baby still gained weight, and i think the weeks i didnt gain any weight at all on the scales that maybe this happened?
    But it seems my body is just set to want to gain fat during pregnancy period, so im just trying to control it as much as i can. Im upset that i cant seem to lose the leg blubber at all yet - i guess i will have to work at that coming off after baby is born ? :S

So ive set MFP to what i think is maintanance cals for my weight/height. Im 5ft1 and was 135lbs before conceivng - (ie on the cusp of being technically overweight). Ive been eating around 1600 cals a day. Does this seem right?

Is it normal to still be gaining weight on maintenance cals durng pregnancy? How much has everyone gained so far?

I know that sounded a silly question... obviously baby needs to gain weight, and theres the weight of the placenta, water etc.. but i figured MY body might actually LOSE weight, so id stay weighing the same if i ate maintenance whilst pregnant.. but still im slowly gaining.

Is 15lbs gain at 27wks a lot? Im a little confused tbh about whats healthy for someone like me who was a bit overweight to start with.

Sorry for rambling! hugs to all! Marie xxx
  • MissCleopatra
    Options
    Dont know why my (very long!) 1st post appeared as a quote above - i must have done something wrong... sorry! xxxx
  • collinsclan
    collinsclan Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    MissCleopatra - I added you to the list with your due date but I didn't have gender information or your real name. We posted at the same time. I've added your name and that this is your first. If you know the gender, I can add that!

Julia - too funny about the accuracy of the ticker statment! Cloth is very different now from 13 years ago. There are several brands that in use are just like putting on a disposable, down to velcro tabs. Fuzzi Bunz, BumGenius and Happy Heinys to name a few. I hope that you find a location for the shower soon. I second the Library community room suggestion.

Ronya - very glad that you seem to be feeling better. Enjoy your walk and reality TV. We're watching Hell's Kitchen right now.

Melissa - what a story. Love it when stuff works out for the good!

Jen Z. - I'm sure that you will get a handle on the GD stuff. make sure you are using the resources your have available - ie your nutritionist and endocrinologist.

Victoria - I understand how you feel about ahving to rotate through. The good thing about my practice of 5 midwives is that you rotate through from the start so you get a feel from each of them and you get at least 30 minutes per appt. Of course, the one that I love is due in October so she likely won't be available for my delivery in December!

Rachel - bring your nesting here.l I have no interest or inclination to get much done around here. I hope it's not bronchotitis for your dh and that he starts feeling better soon.

AFM: I am feeling very blessed by my friends right now. A friend watched my 4 so that dh could go to the ultrasound with me then this afternoon another friend gave me a ton of baby equipment. She is in a similar situation - her four kids are 8 -15 and her baby is just over a year. She gave me an exersaucer, bath, portable crib, bouncy seat, floor mat, various toys, changing mat, and a bunch of other stuff. She's not ready to part with her clothes yet, but told me if the baby is a boy, she'll hook me up.

After swim class, dh took us out to Cici's Pizza for dinner and I ate way too much. We got home, got all the kids showered (I am so glad that my 11yo will still shower with the 4 yo) and to bed. Now I am trying to relax and settle down but my mind won't slow.

Have a good night.
  • MissCleopatra
    Options
    Collinsclan - My real name is Marie ... and we're expecting a little boy! :D xxx
  • mathjulz
    Options
    Marie - welcome! For some reason I already assumed you were on this chat and that's how you found me, or I would have suggested it before. Now I feel like a heel. :blushing:
    I weighed 140 when I got pregnant (at 5'0") so I was in the same boat as you to start with. Only I couldn't eat much of anything the first tri and then some. I've been told that a 15-25 lb weight gain is idea for our situation (with that kind of starting weight). So with the 3rd tri to go, you could gain 1/2 lb a week and be fine. I started with mine set to the 1/2 lb a week gain (gave me 1900 cal or so) but bumped it up to 1 lb a week when I'd gained only about 6 lbs by end of second tri. Not that I manage to eat all that, many of the days.

AFM - Love that we have a swimming pool right now! There are many things we dislike about these apartments, but the size of the place (3 bdrm, almost 1500 sq ft) and the swimming pool almost make up for all of it. Took kids swimming, and did laps while they played. Yay! Felt so good!
  • chelledmal
    Options
    Ok ladies be prepared to be grossed out! I was unsure if I should tell you all this because I was afraid you might think it is weird.

I am having my placenta encapsulated. (basically your placenta is dried out, and then ground, and put into pills for mother to take).

At first, I thought this was totally gross, then i looked into it. It is supposed to help with milk supply, energy level, recovery, post partum depression. It used to be very common (it was often eaten in stew form years and years ago). And every other mammal with a placenta eats theirs. So... i figured why not! Especially since it's a service my doula will provide for pretty much no extra charge.

I am hoping it is going to make my recovery quick and easy!

How interesting! I have never heard of this. Way to go you for trying something different! It makes sense..just sounds weird like you said. I have heard that if you bury it in your garden that it's supposed to help give nutrients to the things growing...so why not your body and baby! Speaking of the placenta, when my midwife was examining it she told me some fascinating information. She was showing me where the baby was in the sack, how the cord was connected, and then she showed me what she called "the tree of life" where the cord or "trunk" branches out from the baby and creates roots into the side of the placenta. She showed me where it had began to calcify because I was overdue..if you're overdue and the placenta begins to calcify and age, will you still be able to encapsulate it? Thanks so much for sharing!
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    She showed me where it had began to calcify because I was overdue..if you're overdue and the placenta begins to calcify and age, will you still be able to encapsulate it? Thanks so much for sharing!

How overdue were you?

I am not sure if it can still be done, I will have to ask my doula (but I wont see her again until labour so I will have to get back to you on that).

I am thinking that maybe they cut out the calcified part?
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Welcome Marie! I think Julz gave some great advice there. Just wanted to say hello, and hopefully you will feel at home here!