Terrible, Horrible, Rotten, No Good Mood!

Options

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    uh oh, sounds like someone's got a case of the mundays...

or my favorite...today was a total waste of makeup!

p.s. I think your friend was kinda out of line blaming you for someone else's lack of planning. If it were me, I'd really want to respond, but it would probably be best if I ignored it, as I might say something I'll regret. I, too, can't stand when people don't give me notice. (My husband's family is so bad about this!) But some people just don't get it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would send her an email with just one sentence in it and one sentence only, "Did you ask her when she was notified about the meeting?" That way, it gets to the heart of the issue without getting you all riled up, which the emotion of would likely divert you away from the point you want to make. But, it would be enough to let her know that maybe she needed to look at things from a different angle.

In the end, if the neighbor doesn't make it to training, I don't know about you but I wouldn't stress about it. You did your part, she failed to come through on hers. It is hard to help people when they just won't help themselves sometimes.

Good luck!

The thing is, she JUST signed up this past week. Yes, she got an email - probably Tuesday or Wednesday about the meeting after she signed up. Probably didn't see it - no internet connection. I told her about it Friday and told her I'd give her a ride. It's not mandatory, it is simply useful if she can find a babysitter. However, I know that's not easy. Her family doesn't watch her children for her and she has no money.

However, none of this is my problem, to be perfectly frank. All I can do i offer the ride, inform, and continue to support her in trying to make a go of this business.

If the neighbor called her and she doesn't want to babysit, say no. It's not my problem. And I feel it's really inappropriate to put that on me.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    uh oh, sounds like someone's got a case of the mundays...

or my favorite...today was a total waste of makeup!

I even used the good primer *sigh* I look hot today and it's wasted b/c of the sourpuss on my face *LOL*
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    If someone sent me that email I might be a bit miffed too... She offered to babysit at one point, the neighbor took her up on it, so she should be complaining to the neighbor and not you. Boo hoo she's going to miss her spin class. :noway:

Take some deep breaths, it's gonna be ok! I bet the weird vibe you're getting is just a projection of your mood... Take a nice walk at lunch or do some stretches and think about your happy place. :)
  • kjpollard
    Options
    Your topic title reminds me of my favorite children's book "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day."

Basically, this kid's day sucked, so he decided he was moving to Australia. His mom is comforting him at the end of the day and gently lets him know that some days are like that....even in Australia.

Hope that made you smile. Hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, I'm a selfish person. I don't like being put out because other people failed to plan.

That said... I have enough compassion to realize that my friend who's been having a seriously rough time and wants to get back on her feet is a little more important than spin class. That the needs of someone I care about are more important than my wants. Furthermore, if I really, really, really didn't want to babysit, I'd have just said so to the neighbor, and it would have been the neighbor's responsibility to tell you if she couldn't get a sitter. There was no need to bring you into it at all. None of it is your fault.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    A simple response to that e-mail... "How is that my problem? You need to discuss that with your neighbor." The end....

Mondays are bad enough even when you're in a good mood. I hope your day gets better.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Seriously. Someone punch me and give me

*gives you a slap* Snap out of it!!! Did it work? :wink:
  • odusgolp
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, I'm a selfish person. I don't like being put out because other people failed to plan.

That said... I have enough compassion to realize that my friend who's been having a seriously rough time and wants to get back on her feet is a little more important than spin class. That the needs of someone I care about are more important than my wants. Furthermore, if I really, really, really didn't want to babysit, I'd have just said so to the neighbor, and it would have been the neighbor's responsibility to tell you if she couldn't get a sitter. There was no need to bring you into it at all. None of it is your fault.

How would you reply to her, honestly? I guess I'm so bothered b/c 1. we haven't had a real argument in the 9 years we've known each other. 2. i feel she's been up on a high horse about many things lately. she has finally fallen in love, remodeled her home, gotten a promotion, etc. and she's SO happy that she can come across as condescending and a bit uncaring about other people having problems.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    This is me today also! I think I'm tired, and everything is not going well, and getting to me.

Hang in there...hopefully for everyone's sake...this Monday won't last too horribly long!
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Wait I gave you practical insight? What's wrong with me? This is more appropriate:

KILL THEM WITH FIRE.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    You've been watching Season two of Dexter, haven't you John :)
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    AH my name is AJ!!!!!

and no I haven't, that's an internet joke.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    ooooh.... Aj... on a banjo.

Got it.

I told you I wasn't smart :)
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Everyone does it, even on facebook or other places I use it and have it capitalized as AJontheguitar. No worries :p
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    A simple response to that e-mail... "How is that my problem? You need to discuss that with your neighbor." The end....

Mondays are bad enough even when you're in a good mood. I hope your day gets better.

I would probably avoid responding with an email, if I was calm enough I would call her up and advise her to talk to the neighbor that needs the babysitter. Period. If she asks you about the advanced notice thing, just tell her that it would be better if she coordinated her babysitter services with the person w/ the children! LOL

I was a single parent for 6 years, and the one thing that infuriated me was when people would offer to babysit and no matter how much advanced notice I gave, they never could babysit. I think they made the offer to "be nice" but never had any intentions of babysitting.

I would not have been offended if they would've just told me "I"d offer to babysit, but I loathe children. They make me break out in hives and I flat don't have the patience".

I can totally appreciate that type of honesty.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    sounds like someone has a case of the mondays.... bwahaha
    Think of office space... Smile. Physically force yourself to smile for 30 continuous seconds. There is supposed to be a trigger that happens when you smile. Breathe and count to ten. These were tips in my positive psychology class so if they don't work i had nothing to do with you smiling like an idiot for 30 seconds :)
    Buck up buckaroo.... We like you!~

If you can't quite get that 30 second smile, stick a CLEAN pencil in your mouth like a horses bit... It places your mouth in a smiling position. A study found that subjects who held a stick in their mouth sideways while watching a movie found the movie MUCH funnier than the non-stick control group! It can't hurt...:happy:

With Friendship and Warmth from Missouri!

Sonia
  • See_Jenn_Run
    Options
    Can I just vent about it to get another perspective on this???

Here's the story.... My best friend's neighbor is going through an immensely hard time. Husband left her and two very young children, not paying any support, she's living on food stamps, etc. OK fast forward... I do a direct sales business (food business). This neighbor signed up last week to also sell this food product to try and make some extra money to support herself and the kids, obviously.

There is a meeting tonight that I told her I'd give her a ride to if she wanted to come. I told her this on Friday. The neighbor asked my best friend to babysit for her.

This is the email my bestie sent me this morning:

"Neighbor texted me yesterday afternoon asking if I could watch the boys tonight while she goes to training with you from 5-9. I can't b/c I'm being diligent about spin class, but this was totally what I was afraid would happen with WT. I know I told her I'd help her out with one time a month for WT, but I need more than a day's notice (especially once school starts back up) and I will always be the first person she will call on if there is not more notice than that. Anyway I'm hoping you can help me out with this by giving her more time with these things? That would be really helpful as I would like to help her out, but not at the loss of the things I've already committed to. I hope you understand where I'm coming from on this."

Before I say boo... How would YOU take this email???

I would say, "So tell her you won't babysit because you have spin class. I told her about the meeting on Friday so don't ask me for help on this. Be up front with her about what you think you deserve but leave me out of it!"

But then again, I'm not that good at beating around the bush when someone is being a bit out of line... :~D
  • odusgolp
    Options

I would probably avoid responding with an email, if I was calm enough I would call her up and advise her to talk to the neighbor that needs the babysitter. Period. If she asks you about the advanced notice thing, just tell her that it would be better if she coordinated her babysitter services with the person w/ the children! LOL

I was a single parent for 6 years, and the one thing that infuriated me was when people would offer to babysit and no matter how much advanced notice I gave, they never could babysit. I think they made the offer to "be nice" but never had any intentions of babysitting.

I would not have been offended if they would've just told me "I"d offer to babysit, but I loathe children. They make me break out in hives and I flat don't have the patience".

I can totally appreciate that type of honesty.

I've actually refrained from emailing back until 1 - I'm calm about it. 2 - I really think through both sides of the coin and what to say.

I want to say "I didn't tell neighbor to ask you to babysit on such short notice. I understand your priorities and respect that. But I also do not think you should tell me how to conduct my business. I am trying to help out your neighbor and how much you choose to help is your decision. She chose to ask you because you previously offered to babysit once a month would be my guess. But again, you need to talk to her about this, not me."

And I agree... I would so much rather have someone say "Dude, no offense, but I don't do kids." And then the problem is solved.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I would send her an email with just one sentence in it and one sentence only, "Did you ask her when she was notified about the meeting?" That way, it gets to the heart of the issue without getting you all riled up, which the emotion of would likely divert you away from the point you want to make. But, it would be enough to let her know that maybe she needed to look at things from a different angle.

In the end, if the neighbor doesn't make it to training, I don't know about you but I wouldn't stress about it. You did your part, she failed to come through on hers. It is hard to help people when they just won't help themselves sometimes.

Good luck!

The thing is, she JUST signed up this past week. Yes, she got an email - probably Tuesday or Wednesday about the meeting after she signed up. Probably didn't see it - no internet connection. I told her about it Friday and told her I'd give her a ride. It's not mandatory, it is simply useful if she can find a babysitter. However, I know that's not easy. Her family doesn't watch her children for her and she has no money.

However, none of this is my problem, to be perfectly frank. All I can do i offer the ride, inform, and continue to support her in trying to make a go of this business.

If the neighbor called her and she doesn't want to babysit, say no. It's not my problem. And I feel it's really inappropriate to put that on me.

I bet Xanax Smurf sound pretty good right now? :smile:

I don't have the context of knowing your friend and her intent but I read it more that she was venting to you. She made an offer she wants to follow through on, but not have to sacrifice that much to do it. I would let her know you gave the neighbor plenty of advance notice so that she could make arrangements and I would suggest to your friend that she let her neighbor know how much notice she will need in order to clear her schedule for babysitting. You're right, it isn't your responsibility to arrange her schedule for her.