Is your diary public or private? Why?

Options
My diary has always been viewable to anyone who becomes connected with me on MFP. I see this site as a tool for consumption improvement, and your "pals" are here to help by critiquing your diary. I know personally if there are ways my friends feel I should improve, I'm open to suggestion. Also, I don't really feel like I have anything to hide. That is just me.

Is your diary public or private and why.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mine is public, but I don't really have a reason why.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    private. because i dont want/need anybody's input on what im eating. when i need help ill ask for it and open it to the public :wink:
  • QuestForFitness
    Options
    mine was private until today....i like it better public because it makes me think twice before eating a thousand cupcakes
  • edward1973
    Options
    mine is open to friends - again no reason why but i feel better being honest and open if you know what i mean
  • Diana35bha
    Diana35bha Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Mine is public too for the same reasons. It's not very easy for friends to offer help if they can't see what I'm eating or not!!

Di
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    mine is public, keeps me honest in what i eat. if i know someone else is going to read it, i think twice about what i eat!
    that being said, i have received unsolicited 'advice' from people about being vegan... and that is not really a topic i am open to debate on. i read other people's diaries and i never comment on their meat consumption. i think it's rude for people to dive into my personal food diary and criticize or start arguments with me about being vegan!
  • shariklasse
    shariklasse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to any friends. It helps me stay on track when I know they can see what I'm eating and doing. Saved me from a trip through the drive thru last night! I knew my friends would see and I knew deep down I shouldn't be doing it anyways :)
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Public to friends only~
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    private. because i dont want/need anybody's input on what im eating. when i need help ill ask for it and open it to the public :wink:
    I feel the same way. :smile: I dont need somebody to tell me that I went over on my sodium, or I shouldn't have had that slice of pizza cause I know and Im already hard on myself.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I guess because I don't feel it's really a personal thing. Anyone is welcome to take a look. They can make suggestions, too. I probably won't listen, because I am not that concerned with anyone else's opinion...that's just me. :tongue:
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Public. I need the accountability. If I'm going to pig out and smorgasbord, then I think twice because I know anyone who wanted to look can see it. That said, I have had a few indulgences but because I know that I have to share them, I don't go overboard with it. :)
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    My diary is open to all my friends, then they can make comments if they like, either positive or negative. x It all helps and keeps me focussed.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    Mine is private. I'm not a nutrition expert but I figure I know enough about it to know what I should/should not be eating. I don't need complete strangers to police me on everything I put in my mouth. When it comes to junk food, in the rare event that I eat it, I'm good enough at making myself feel needlessly guilty over it and don't need anyone else adding to it!

One of my friends on MFP has a friend who, when my friend finishes her food log for the day, will leave comments like "Not enough fruit" or "Watch your sodium!" or whatever. It would drive me crazy to have people do that.

Like someone already said in this thread... If I need help, I'll ask for it.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I think it's helpful to view diaries and get ideas on what to eat, what meals look like, etc.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    if i was anorexic i would put mine as private loool so that could be one reason

...i am so far from it lol so mines defiantly public, i enjoy others advice.
  • Ginial1479
    Ginial1479 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends... I love sharing ideas and I'm open to suggestion and/or criticism... LOL
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Mine is public because I have nothing to hide. I work my *kitten* off all week to my standards so I can goof off durning the weekend and oh yeah - I have issues with binging and if others can relate and need help I'm here for them.

I'm not ashamed of anything I eat and I know that I reached my goals doing it this way and yeah maybe I've struggled along the way and struggle to maintain, but that doesn't make me special. I've only been on MFP a short time, but I've never been critized for my choices, although I've also never posted asking for critism. My MFP friends have also never give me unsoliced advice on my choices and if they did then I'd probably just defriend them.
  • jenblowsbubblez
    jenblowsbubblez Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Mine is viewable by friends. But in the past I have added ppl and their diary wasn't private and they chatted and blogged all the time and say they lost weight,, but you never seen the diary or you never seen where they logged in ANY exercise.(odd) LOL,, I'm with you I thought this site was to share and motivate! It is for me and I love it! So i have became extra picky on who I add bc this isn't FB and some ppl treat it as that.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Mine is private.
    I share what I want when I want.
    I don't want to feel like I'm being judged, or that people are snooping around in my business if I haven't asked them to.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Also, I noticed nine times out of ten, people don't read your diary and just start dishing nutritional advice unless it's asked for.

So, I was just curious why people make theirs private from friends. Supplements? IDK LOL