tattoos and carreer

Options
2»

Replies

• zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    Options
    I have been wanting a tattoo for over 20 years and I almost have it narrowed down to exactly what it will be. I figured getting it while I'm currently unemployed would be a good idea so I don't have to answer any questions during the healing process. Everyone's input here has been really helpful to decide where it should go. Since I will be interviewing it will be especially important it not be seen.

A question about covering them up since I am a tomboy who doesn't wear make-up. Is there anything that will cover up very fair skin with freckles (I'm a redhead) without it looking funny? For me, if I got the tat on my wrist, the watch and bracelet idea doesn't work because I have very tiny wrists and nothing will stay up to cover it.

Now to just calm down my husband and parents who are freaking out about the whole thing.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    i'd LOVE to get my wrists tattooed .. but i plan on studying marketing & business communication ..

i'm too afraid the tattoos would stop me from reaching my career goals.

I am in the business feild as well, when ever I go to a bank i look for tattoos. The other thing is I want it on my right wrist and I am right handed. I suppose I could suck it up when I needed to.
  • ak_in_ak
    Options
    I have been wanting a tattoo for over 20 years and I almost have it narrowed down to exactly what it will be. I figured getting it while I'm currently unemployed would be a good idea so I don't have to answer any questions during the healing process. Everyone's input here has been really helpful to decide where it should go. Since I will be interviewing it will be especially important it not be seen.

A question about covering them up since I am a tomboy who doesn't wear make-up. Is there anything that will cover up very fair skin with freckles (I'm a redhead) without it looking funny? For me, if I got the tat on my wrist, the watch and bracelet idea doesn't work because I have very tiny wrists and nothing will stay up to cover it.

Now to just calm down my husband and parents who are freaking out about the whole thing.

what is it that you are getting, I love mine behind my ear, but it is just bigger than a quarter. The back is always a good spot and a lot less painful. Have have bigger stuff planed for my back so I though my wrist would be a good spot for something small
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I have a wrist band on one wrist, along with quite a few other tatts that are hidden. I've found that most people don't even notice it. I've know one friend for a couple of years & she's only just spotted it!:laugh:

It's not caused me any problems work wise, but I am in the UK, and live & work in quite an 'alternative' town. Things might be different in small town USA.
  • cinole1706
    Options
    Hmm.. I've been thinking about getting a small tattoo on either my ankle/foot or on my ear. I'm a junior in college training to become an elementary teacher. Do schools have an absolute no-tolerance rule for any showing tattoo? Even if it is on the back of my ear? I plan to teach in Alabama.
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    Options

what is it that you are getting, I love mine behind my ear, but it is just bigger than a quarter. The back is always a good spot and a lot less painful. Have have bigger stuff planed for my back so I though my wrist would be a good spot for something small

It's large enough that my plan was my back, but have been reconsidering that maybe I should start with something smaller just to see how I handle the pain. I hadn't thought of behind my ear. I have long hair and tend to wear it down at work. Sounds like a painful area though.
  • ak_in_ak
    Options
    Hmm.. I've been thinking about getting a small tattoo on either my ankle/foot or on my ear. I'm a junior in college training to become an elementary teacher. Do schools have an absolute no-tolerance rule for any showing tattoo? Even if it is on the back of my ear? I plan to teach in Alabama.

is this on your actual ear? I have a friend that has a cross on her ear, it is hard to tell what it is. I really think it is how you pull it off. If an employer is doupting you it could be the reason they use to not hire you. The foot is not a bad option, it can be painful though.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I didn't have time to read all of the posts, but I can tell you that the banking industry is one of the more "uptight" and professional ones. I worked in it for about 6 years in the 90's and my father-in-law just retired after spending more than 40 years in banking. He wore suits and ties every day to work and this is in Arizona, one of the most laid back places in regards to dress protocol I have ever seen.

Just as a reference point, I have two tattoos, myself, one on my ankle (profile pic) and the other on my hip. I wear capris to work most of the summer and my tattoo is out there, although my workplace is also a bit uptight, too. It's not going to affect how people view me because they all know me already. :)

My 21 year old son got his first tattoo last summer on his left arm. My husband and I both counseled him to be sure that it was placed so that it was not visible when wearing short sleeves. He is still in college and hasn't made any career decisions yet and shouldn't be limiting himself in any way. Thankfully, he listened to us.

All of that said, I would highly reconsider the location for your tattoo. You're already worried it's going to impact you and you know the atmosphere there better than I would. I think you should go with your gut instinct and place it somewhere that's easier to cover.
  • Mechel79
    Mechel79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo one each wrist and I am professional. Many companies today are being much more accepting towards people that choose to express themselves through body art/modification. I think from now on we will see more of these forward-thinking companies that realize it is no longer 1945 and the same standards do not apply. Typically, whether you have tattoos won't matter, however, if you are going to be seen by customers they will probably require you to have them covered when you are at work anyway. But definitely for an interview, cover them and when you are offered the job ask them their policy on visible tattoos. Then, if they tell you to cover them but you don't want to, you can always turn the position down. Doing it this way allows you to interview without it being about the tattoos, but shows your responsibility about handling it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This is probably why I'm happiest when self-employed... I have certain issues with authority. :laugh: I wouldn't want to work for someplace so uptight that a totally cute and non-offensive tattoo was a dealbreaker.