50+ with 50+ To Lose Group

Options

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Goals:
    1. To walk 30 minutes, four times a week (Sun., Mon., Wed., Fri.), 500 minutes per month.
    2. To workout with resistance bands for 30 minutes, three time a week (Tue., Thu., Sat.), 360 minutes per month.
    3. To stay within my diet: <1800 calories, < 2000mg sodium, < 60g fat, daily.
    4. To get off my diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol meds by August 15, 2012.

Progress: 8/31/11
    1. Walking: 1009 total min of 500. Monthly goal met.
    2. Resistance Training: 107 minutes of 360. Monthly goal not met.
    3. Dietary:
    1502 calories – Daily goal met.
    975 mg Sodium – Daily goal met.
    20g Fat – Daily goal met.
    4. 300+ days to meet goal.

Walked 55 min. 44 sec. and burned 382 calories (Polar F11). RunKeeper acted up so I don’t know my distance or pace, but it was probably close to 3 miles.

Chuck
  • CRody44
    Options
    Do we have a new 50+50+ thread for September?
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Do we have a new 50+50+ thread for September?

Good question Chuck. At the end of page 20 the thread automatically starts a new thread. It will have a link to the new thread on the last page of the old thread and a link to the old thread on the first page of the new thread. I think it will say 50+ with 50+ To Lose Group Part 2. When that happens I will do several things. I will change my signature below where it includes the thread to the group to the new thread. I will change the information about this group and add in the current thread. I will post an update on my profile that should show up on my friends home pages that we have a new thread so if you have added me as a friend which all I think have you should see it as one of my updates as well. When this happens you can go on the new thread and bump it so it will show in the My Topics section above. I also have a blog for the group and will update the current link as well there http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KeriA/view/50-with-50-to-lose-group-blog-137779 . If you want me to message you I will too. Just let me know. I am also updating the list of members as well on this blog site on mfp.

Also Mike has said that they are working on a new group function to the site and I feel when that happens we should move there. I will put information about that on the current thread, my profile and the blog as well when that happens.

The one advantage to having one each month is that it makes the group noticeable to others on this site which is fine by me but that happens anyway when the new thread is formed at 20 pages. This way we risk losing people.

Everyone always please feel free to message me with any questions or concerns such as if you lose the thread. I come on here everyday unless I am out of town which is just not that much. I want to go to the beach so bad!
  • KeriA
    Options
    Re: Plateaus. I've been in a long-term plateau when I lost 21 pounds, 10% of my weight, which would support the body resetting itself. HOWEVER, to be brutally honest, I noticed that I was doing the following things:

1. Gaining and losing the same five pounds.
    2. Eating more "convenience foods" (breakfast bars, etc.) instead of real foods. One Nature Valley Sweet and Salty bar=2 apples. When I lost the weight, I was eating super healthy--lots of fruits and veggies.
    3. Being inaccurate in my logging, and not logging until the evening. I'd eat stuff, forget about it, and then wonder why I wasn't losing weight. When I was losing, I was religious about logging accurately after meals.
    4. When I lost the 21 pounds, it seemed like I would be a little bit hungry when I went to bed because I cut off the food at dinnertime. During the plateau, I was eating after dinner. I never felt hungry, and I never lost weight.
    5. I went to the gym when I was losing. I haven't been this summer (but, I'm rejoining the first). I generally ate some of those calories back, but not all of them.
    6. I looked back at my logs, and I am eating way more sugar than I did when I was losing. I have a sweet tooth, and I'm using my calories to indulge it. I do think it really, really matters how you use your calories, and this sugar thing has got to go if I'm going to lose and maintain.
    7. Also, most of the people I started with have dropped out, and I didn't seek new supportive friends who were daily loggers. (Until now). Having people reading your food diary, commenting, and keeping you honest makes a huge difference.

Now that I've owned up to my contribution to this problem. I'm ready to lose again, and I need to correct the problems on this list. If I don't, they'll be a major issue if I want to keep my weight off. Through daily logging, MFP has given me an opportunity to really analyze my eating and exercise habits to see how they interact. I also got incredibly valuable advice from people who read my food diary when I was needed help, and, for those of you that keep your food diaries private, you might need that help and advice when you are struggling. Consider making your diary public at least to this group (you can put a password on it that you share with us, several of my friends do.)

Before I joined MFP, I was pretty much in denial about my weight, but now I really understand why I became overweight. I had no understanding of how many calories I was jamming into my mouth; I ate whenever the opportunity presented itself; I didn't exercise; and, I'd lost every habit a person has for keeping thin. It's almost like having an accident and relearning to walk, but now, I'm ready to learn. Thanks to you all for being around to help.

Bisbeegal
    I really admire the self examination, work and honesty this process took. I am so glad it has had results that are so deserved as well. I really agree with what you say about how great a tool the diary is. I really can relate to this process that you describe.
    I think your sharing this will be helpful to many of us and I certainly have thought about alot that you have said. I have written about the reasons for making a food diary open and keeping it closed which includes most of the reasons I have for keeping mine closed. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KeriA/view/food-diaries-to-make-it-public-or-not-114779 I do think there are very good reasons for public diaries and also for private ones. I really admire those who have theirs public. I also see the issue of being put in an uncomfortable position of commenting on something you cannot see. So I am fine if someone doesn't feel comfortable with it.

I actually keep mine closed for some of the reasons you say you have yours public so I do log more accurately completely and honestly. Although it says I have logged in for 20 days here that really isn't true. I have logged in here for over 365 days. Yes the two camping trips I wasn't able to log until after the fact. One day I logged on and forgot to push the complete your entry here button. However on those camping trips I kept a journal of what I ate and then when I was back I logged my foods for the days I was gone. I really believe in logging. To me it is kind of fun. I am weird, I know. The blog after the one on making diaries public is about how I grew up with a health food nut as a Mom. My Mom still reads all the latest research on food and nutrition and she lets me know all about it. So you see I have had too much advice on this topic. For example we never had sweets or junk in our house so I didn't learn how to self manage them. Junk isn't a big problem for me but sweets have been. Part of my process is to learn to limit and eliminate certain foods without getting a feeling of deprivation. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for an upbringing of healthy food. I never had the cold or the flue until I went to college. I have in my blogs been relatively honest and open about this process but I don't think too many have read them. They are open but really as with the diary they are really for me. At some point I may evolve and share them on some leverl though. However I am not willing to jeopardize the one tool that has finally helped me not so much to get healthy but to balance calories in with calories burned. I have always eaten mostly healthy foods and I started exercising long before coming here but I wasn't losing weight.

Finally I can relate to your last item. I had a group of friends on here from an earlier group. I still visit the thread but many have gone as well. Probably can't find the thread any longer. However this 50+ group I find has some really high quality dialogue going on that I never found then. Your post is one example of it. This is such an intelligent and caring group. I am so loving getting to know all of you.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Oh No Mr. Bill! Since it seems that I am the only male on this thread, let me put this as delicately as I can. When I got out of the shower this morning, I tried to take a critical look at myself rather than seeing what I have always wanted to see. I have pendulous MOOBS (Man Boobs). I guess I am losing fat faster than my skin can rebound, so the skin is starting to sag. I have recently started doing resistance training, so, hopefully, some of the skin will be filled up with muscle. I also noticed that I now look like Tom Turkey with a waddle rather than with multiple chins like Jabba the Hut. Having a fat face pushes the wrinkles out, but now I’m getting wrinkles. All is not lost. Lying on my back, I can actually SEE a rib cage, and lying on my side, I can see a pelvic bone and feel a hip bone. I also have shin bones, calves and ankles rather than cankles (going from calf to ankle). My wife even commented that my calves are starting to get definition (I’m too sexy for my shorts). When I was shaving, I noticed these funny lumps under my eyes. Those are cheek bones! I am actually getting a hollow in my cheeks. So I guess there is a tradeoff, some bad with the good.
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Oh No Mr. Bill! Since it seems that I am the only male on this thread, let me put this as delicately as I can. When I got out of the shower this morning, I tried to take a critical look at myself rather than seeing what I have always wanted to see. I have pendulous MOOBS (Man Boobs). I guess I am losing fat faster than my skin can rebound, so the skin is starting to sag. I have recently started doing resistance training, so, hopefully, some of the skin will be filled up with muscle. I also noticed that I now look like Tom Turkey with a waddle rather than with multiple chins like Jabba the Hut. Having a fat face pushes the wrinkles out, but now I’m getting wrinkles. All is not lost. Lying on my back, I can actually SEE a rib cage, and lying on my side, I can see a pelvic bone and feel a hip bone. I also have shin bones, calves and ankles rather than cankles (going from calf to ankle). My wife even commented that my calves are starting to get definition (I’m too sexy for my shorts). When I was shaving, I noticed these funny lumps under my eyes. Those are cheek bones! I am actually getting a hollow in my cheeks. So I guess there is a tradeoff, some bad with the good.

If it makes you feel any better our fat holds up all things that start to sag too! Good for you.
  • KeriA
    Options
    The only advantage to how slow I have been losing is that so far my skin seems to be keeping up with me. I do not think exercise is as good for weight loss than it is for health and inches lost. I know that I fit in clothes that I wore at a much smaller weight already. That has been my strategy to go slow and exercise alot. It has worked too well it seems. I want to lose faster! The good news Chuck is with time and exercise alot of skin does go away even after the fact. The body is really amazing. Give it some time and keep exercising. My husband has lost with me although he has less to lose and really looks so much better. I would much rather see a bit more loose skin on him and know he is healthier. I am worried about the wrinkles on my face as I lose. I know that I have looked younger in that regard and am thinking I will start to see more wrinkles. Hopefully looking slimmer will counteract the effect there. This problem definitely hits both sexes that is for sure.
  • CRody44
    Options
    September Goals:
    1. To walk 45 minutes, three times a week, 540 minutes per month.
    2. To workout with resistance bands for 30 minutes, two time a week, 240 minutes per month.
    3. To stay within my diet: <1800 calories, < 2000mg sodium, < 60g fat, 5 days a week.
    4. To get off my diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol meds by August 15, 2012.

Progress:
    1. 0 total min of 540. Weekly and monthly goal on track.
    2. 0 total min of 240: Weekly and monthly goal on track.
    3. Today 9/1
    2231 calories – Daily goal not met.
    2938 mg Sodium – Daily goal not met.
    85 g Fat – Daily goal met.

I lost 9 pounds in the month of August.

I reset my goals for September. I signed up for a “Health Coaching” program through my HMO, one for eating and the other for exercise. They recommended setting goals that are specific, attainable and measureable. For instance, a goal of “To exercise every day” is not specific. “To exercise 30 minutes five days a week” is specific, attainable and measureable. For me, I changed my dietary goal of staying within my diet from 7 days a week to five days a week since being a little over on one item, once a week equals failure. They said to not set a goal that requires perfection and to not set yourself up for failure.

Kinda started the month off wrong. Had pepperoni pizza for dinner.

Chuck
  • spoccer
    spoccer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Keri! My name is Mary .. I am 56 and would like to lose 100 lbs. It's depressing to even type that! I would like to get from 243 to 200 by Christmas. I'd love to join your group. Thank you.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Chuck - congratulations on losing 9 pounds in August! That is wonderful success. I like you changes on your goals too. I have heard of specific, measureable and attainable goals too. September 1st is a good time to reevaluate goals. I think you will have a successful September too.

Hi Mary (@spoccer). I think we have a couple other Marys. I think you have come to the right place. We have all started out by telling something about ourselves and listing a few health and fitness goals we have. The first group I joined on here was called Join me I have 100 pounds to lose. It was just a few months ago I realized I didn't have quite that much to lose anymore but I am not sure it has really hit me yet. So it won't be long before you have made progress on that. That is why it is good to focus on some shorter term goals such as your Christmas goal. I will add your name to the blog for the group (see my signature).
  • KeriA
    Options
    I decided it would be good to post the names of the group members here as well as the blog for easy access. As always if I have left anyone out please let me know:

dfeledichuk
    _gwen
    grannysquare1 (Nancy)
    salliebeige
    meabonl
    jimswife1
    GreenHydrangea
    CRody (Chuck)
    KeriA (Keri)
    elfie9863
    SeattleGrl (Hazel)
    jhamby
    swimmer54
    momb4 (Lynne)
    bisbeegal
    McYoung (Mary)
    creasonr (Ruth)
    Serrtana
    spoccer (Mary)

Thats 21 one so far.

Happy September!
  • CRody44
    Options
    Thank you Keri, and welcome Mary. MFP is a great tool, but only if you use it as it was design, to log every bite of every meal, of every day, and exercise. I am an expert in dieting, having been doing it for about 40 years, but not an expert in keeping it off. Over the years, fad diets have worked to take it off, but when I went off the diet, I gained a lot of it. I have found that my greatest success has been when I log everything, religiously. I lost a lot on Weight Watchers (about four different times) and used their point system quite successfully, but when I made a lifestyle change (farmers market fruits and veggies, very little grocery store packaged and process foods) about 6 months ago, I found that counting points didn’t give me enough control. Two months ago, right after I ended up in the hospital with some heart problems and was placed on a low calorie, low sodium, low fat diet with exercise with exercise, I found MFP. I found that MFP gave the control I needed to stay within these restrictions.

Your goal of losing 43 pounds in four months is very aggressive and I don’t want you to be discouraged if you lose 5 pounds a month instead of 10. Losing 10 lbs a month is attaining perfection for 120 +- days, which is going to be hard to do. It can be done, but remember, this whole thing is not just about losing weight for a few months, but getting healthy for the rest of your life. Good luck.
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... September goals, well here in the great white north it is getting cold already and the days shorter, so that impacts my exercise hugely

Goals for September

1. Walk 100 miles (although I have meet that goal the last two months not sure about this month but it will be something to push for)
    2. Try to shift my eating to more calories during the day and less at supper... another toughie
    3. Maintain at least 10 cups of water a day
    4. Just take some down time for myself, with my PhD, working, teaching and kids back in activities it is going to be hectic.
  • jhamby5579
    jhamby5579 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Just read some posts great stuff with our group LOVE IT!! I think that for September some goals for me is to not focus on the #'s but how I feel, and to eat a more clean diet not that I eat alot of crap, but fresh fruit and veggies better choice and making your own food instead of packaged stuff . I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks but I think its all about previous posts about after 10% etc and how your body reacts I am 51 pounds lighter then almost a year ago and I stopped taking some meds for high blood pressure and asmtha, so focusing on the positive and trying to make this a lifestyle change and it will stick for a lifetime. Going parasailing tomorrow for my daughters 13th bday crazyness she is brave, told her we can do something special since milestone bday and this is what she came up LOL. I did this 20 years ago but things are different when you are 40, but we will see but my husband and son will be partipating. Happy September to all and thanks to all for the great motivation and sharing all the info!!!
  • KeriA
    Options
    Thank you Keri, and welcome Mary. MFP is a great tool, but only if you use it as it was design, to log every bite of every meal, of every day, and exercise. I am an expert in dieting, having been doing it for about 40 years, but not an expert in keeping it off. Over the years, fad diets have worked to take it off, but when I went off the diet, I gained a lot of it. I have found that my greatest success has been when I log everything, religiously. I lost a lot on Weight Watchers (about four different times) and used their point system quite successfully, but when I made a lifestyle change (farmers market fruits and veggies, very little grocery store packaged and process foods) about 6 months ago, I found that counting points didn’t give me enough control. Two months ago, right after I ended up in the hospital with some heart problems and was placed on a low calorie, low sodium, low fat diet with exercise with exercise, I found MFP. I found that MFP gave the control I needed to stay within these restrictions.

-- but remember, this whole thing is not just about losing weight for a few months, but getting healthy for the rest of your life. Good luck.

Love these words of wisdom Chuck. I think you have summed up some of why I started this group. We are trying to get healthy for a wonderful life over 50.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Hmmm... September goals, well here in the great white north it is getting cold already and the days shorter, so that impacts my exercise hugely

Goals for September

1. Walk 100 miles (although I have meet that goal the last two months not sure about this month but it will be something to push for)
    2. Try to shift my eating to more calories during the day and less at supper... another toughie
    3. Maintain at least 10 cups of water a day
    4. Just take some down time for myself, with my PhD, working, teaching and kids back in activities it is going to be hectic.

Here in Seattle we have just recently gotten a bit of summer and yes the days are starting to shorten. However it seems so crazy now I am almost starting to look forward to the fall schedules. I really hope you can keep enough of your walking schedule not only for the exercise but for the time to decompress from your busy schedule. Looks like you are planning ahead to adjust to things. Take care.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Hello All,

Just read some posts great stuff with our group LOVE IT!! I think that for September some goals for me is to not focus on the #'s but how I feel, and to eat a more clean diet not that I eat alot of crap, but fresh fruit and veggies better choice and making your own food instead of packaged stuff . I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks but I think its all about previous posts about after 10% etc and how your body reacts I am 51 pounds lighter then almost a year ago and I stopped taking some meds for high blood pressure and asmtha, so focusing on the positive and trying to make this a lifestyle change and it will stick for a lifetime. Going parasailing tomorrow for my daughters 13th bday crazyness she is brave, told her we can do something special since milestone bday and this is what she came up LOL. I did this 20 years ago but things are different when you are 40, but we will see but my husband and son will be partipating. Happy September to all and thanks to all for the great motivation and sharing all the info!!!

Reading your post made me feel happy - something about the focus on quality food and maybe I am tired of the numbers too. However I need to focus on them until I get to 50 pounds lost. However I really made alot of progress during my periods where I was maintaining (not on purpose) I lost alot of inches and I got the confidence that I would be able to keep off what I lose.

Wow parasailing, hope it is wonderfully. Yes I love this group.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Since I suggested we revisit our goals and progress this week I should do that myself. Yesterday I went back to my original posting of goals and thought about it and am ready to do that but I am thinking now that some of us did a bit of review of goals sometime last month too so I may check that too later but 1st Here are my original goals:
    Original Summer Goals:
    1. 1 hour or more of exercise daily (but a day of rest now and then is probably good) - Yes I met this well although not really so great at the rest day except for life took care of that for me most of the time. I have completed or almost completed some summer programs/goals
    2. 8 glasses or more of water daily, - Yes usually I drink my 8 but I think I have been trying to drink more and sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not.
    3. keeping under my calorie goals, - I usually do but I do go over now and then but there is enough of a deficit to handle it when I do since it usually isn't by too much and I often don't eat every single one of my exercise calories most days either.
    4. getting enough sleep, I do not know about this but I have been doing well with this recently but I need to get off of MF earlier and finish reading the book I am reading and get to bed earlier and get up earlier.
    5. making healthy meals at home, I was really doing well at this for most of the summer. However lately I have had some schedule busters. Interviews, Mother who misses her spouse and is having some medical problems (the rest of my family is in France for a wedding celebration I couldn't afford to go to so I am left with alot of the above that is often shared), my daughter and husband have some time off before school starts and because he has too much vacation time accrued)
    I also want to spend some time with my new Zumba DVDs. - No no way have I been able to do this.

September Goals ( maybe they are my 1st blush attempt at Fall Goals)
    1. try to drink between 10-14 glasses of water a day
    2. I need to set up a new exercise schedule now that I have completed my 100 mile challenge and almost my C25K program. The overiding goals in setting it up are to add in some weight training and continue the intensification of my cardio. (I like my Monday and Saturday Morning Aquafit classes, I like my Friday morning Zumba class and wonder about taking Tuesday nights too. I think I want to run/walk twice a week it could remain on Tues Thurs day or I could double up with Aquafit on Monday and do Wednesday. The determining factor is that I need to add in some weight training and still have a rest day. I like my walks with my husband on the weekends. So this is not set yet since I still am completing C25K either this weekend or Tuesday.)
    3. Yes I still need to try and make my calories goals but I am not quite sure what it should be. Since I lost 30 pounds that means I should adjust my calories goals lower accordingly. I have done this this week but don't want them to get too low. I am still not at 1200 calories yet. I was not even always successful at where they were set at. So this is a bit in the churning phase too. I am going to see how it goes with how I have set it yesterday.
    5. Yes I definitely am working on getting back to making healthy home cooked meals now. I hope when my daughter is in school, my family returns and my mother settles down things will settle down for me. However there is always the issue of applying for and hopefully getting a new job.

If anyone has any thoughts on those areas I seem to be in flux on ( exercise and calories goals ) I would welcome your input during my period of thinking these out.

Well I feel like I have made some progress but I feel like I won't really settle into Fall goals until after school starts for my daughter. She is a senior and she needs to start her college applications. This week we went to Good Will (her idea) and she got lots of great clothes using her own money from her summer job. She still fits the clothes from last fall anyway and we did some shopping this summer for her job that will work for fall as well. She even found some great jackets there(rain and warm) that I bought for her. I spent my money on her dance classes for the fall anyway so this will help. I think I will be getting most of my exercise getting the house in order for the fall. I woke up too late for Zumba this morning anyway. Having my husband home is throwing me off I think. We will probably get in some swimming at my Moms pool before it gets too cold here. I have some good meals planned for the weekend too.

So looking forward to all others revisiting goals for the fall this week. Have a great Holiday Weekend.
  • CRody44
    Options
    September Goals:
    1. To walk 45 minutes, three times a week, 540 minutes per month.
    2. To workout with resistance bands for 30 minutes, two time a week, 240 minutes per month.
    3. To stay within my diet: <1800 calories, < 2000mg sodium, < 60g fat, 5 days a week.

Progress:
    1. Walked: 61 total min of 540. Weekly and monthly goal on track.
    2. Resistance Training: 0 total min of 240: Weekly and monthly goal on track.
    3. Today 9/2
    1772 calories – Daily goal met.
    1834mg Sodium – Daily goal not met.
    27 g Fat – Daily goal met.

Walked 61 minutes, 3.19 miles at 3.13 MPH (RunKeeper), burned 587 calories (Polar F11)

This is the first time I walked an hour. Going from 45 minutes to an hour was tiring, more so than I thought it would. My pace slowed down the last 15 minutes also (over 19 minutes per mile). I’m going to keep it at an hour on weekdays so it will be interesting how long it will take me to maintain my pace.

Keri, you talking about Fall goals got me thinking. I live in sunny Northern California, bet we still do have rainy days in Fall and Winter. So I am wondering what to do when it gets cold and rainy. When I ended up in the hospital in July (I fainted and had AFib), because of the fainting, the hospital is required to notify DMV, so I had my driving privileges revoked. I was thinking about joining a gym during the rainy season, but I can’t legally drive right now. I hope to have the driving thing revisited the first part of October (three months without fainting) so maybe I’ll get my license back. If not, I guess I’ll have to do my walking in a poncho.

Chuck
  • KeriA
    Options
    Chuck that makes it hard. My step father had some fainting episodes but they never revoked his license he was 95. Not really fair some how. Still we want you safe. I think you will be able to get it changed. You have made so much progress. Being from Seattle I can't let rain stop me. But I am worring about others with more severe weather.