Indie/Folk Rock Bands

Options

Replies

• Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Wait I'm not trolling here, now I feel like lines are blurring. I like Robert Randolph, Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks band (who are also called the Soul Stew Revival when they play together) fit the bill of feel good jammers etc etc.

Would you consider them folk or indie rock bands?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I came across these girls on accident. I about wet myself when they finally went on itunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hq5RU55kp0
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Christine Kane and Ani
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Wait I'm not trolling here, now I feel like lines are blurring. I like Robert Randolph, Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks band (who are also called the Soul Stew Revival when they play together) fit the bill of feel good jammers etc etc.

Would you consider them folk or indie rock bands?

Blues Jam bands?
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    I came across these girls on accident. I about wet myself when they finally went on itunes. Great harmonies and they are very easy to cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hq5RU55kp0
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    bright eyes, the shins, sigur ros, fleet foxes, ray lamontagne, belle and sebastian, wilco, band of horses, tilly and the wall, radical face, eels, modest mouse, radiohead, elliot smith, matt costa, tegan and sara, pixies, smashing pumpkins, spoon, the flaming lips, muse......etc! love it

Youre my musical BFF!! Mumford and Sons, Frightened Rabbit, Avette Brothers. Love love love! Off to find which ones you all have named I dont already own!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Bon Iver

Shearwater

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Foster the People

Warpaint

Death From Above 1979

Heartless *kitten*

Best Coast

One of my favs right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFxb0F2F2A

I love this band!!!

Artist: Warpaint
    Song: Elephants
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    M83, Yuck, The Dears, Kelley Stoltz, and Broken Social Scene are a few of my current faves. They change all of the time though since I listen to indie radio stations (online) mainly and there are lots of indie bands popping up!

Although my favorite [indie] band of all time is Copeland. They broke up last year but thank goodness I was able to see them live on their farewell tour. They'll always be number 1, but The Bravery is sharing the spot with them now. :-)
  • tmilz
    tmilz Posts: 4
    Options
    BON IVER

IRON AND WINE

MATT COSTA

BRETT DENNEN

RAY LAMONTANGE

GARY JULES
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I guess I found the one area of music that I have no knowledge of because these are all bran new names to me. Wilco does sound familiar though.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Not sure if these fit under Indie/Folk or not:

Guster
    Jaymay
    Old 97s
    Phoenix
    She & Him
    The Smiths
    Snow Patrol
  • tmilz
    tmilz Posts: 4
    Options
    I forgot:

Animal Liberation orchestra (ALO)
  • BAMA66
    BAMA66 Posts: 240
    Options
    Mumford and Sons, I love Phish, George Clinton, Allman Brothers, Drop Kick Murphy's, Ray Lagmontage
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Mumford and Sons, I love Phish, George Clinton, Allman Brothers, Drop Kick Murphy's, Ray Lagmontage

I can dig on most of these big time. However are George and the Allman bros considered this? Because I love those two.
  • TheBraveryLover
    Options
    Also digging Two-Door Cinema Club
    I consider them indie pop as opposed to indie rock, but yeah, great band!:happy:
  • MondaysChild81
    MondaysChild81 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ed Sheeran

Eels

Elliot Smith

The Divine Comedy

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Dave Matthews Band

Counting Crows

Interpol

The XX

A Whisper In The Noise

Sia

Sanders Bohlke
  • TheBraveryLover
    Options
    Are there any more mainstream bands that fit under this genre? Just have never heard of any of the bands listed here and intrested if there are some that I would know.
    Some might not agree, but Muse and Paramore started out indie but are pretty well known now. I'd consider their music mainstream-ish now, though still good music. Incubus is fairly well-known but their music has stayed consistent so I'd consider them still indie. Again, all my opinion so don't quote me on it! LOL
  • MondaysChild81
    MondaysChild81 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Also my favourites;

Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Modest Mouse, Silversun Pickups and Yo La Tengo ^_^
  • TheBraveryLover
    Options
    if they were mainstream they couldn't call themselves indie, then they wouldn't be deck, they'd be sellouts.

Oh THATS why I hate indie.
    That's the part that I didn't get. I know "indie" generally means non-mainstream but what makes up the "indie" sound? I always thought Indie bands were somewhere between local acts and signed bands, good but not good enough.
    Okay after this I'm done stalking this thread, I swear!:laugh:

Indie bands usually consist of the band either being on independent labels (i.e. more freedom and choice in the type of music they release) or independently without a label and doing most the legwork themselves. Them "not being good enough" to make it mainstream has little to do with their quality of music and moreso about connections and money.

Some bands get a nice break, get signed to a major label and their music changes and that's why some indie lovers complain. They don't complain about others knowing about them (some do, but I'm talking about the ones who don't) as much as their dissatisfaction with their music being more controlled (and mainstream-sounding) by their label. Understandable since they're making more money so they kinda have to be corporate puppets, but some people don't understand that and how hard it is to keep the music the same when money talks.

Just wanted to give you my perspective of things.:smile:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I was going to post something like this the other day...but I obviously didn't.

Built to Spill (my favorite band ever)
    Arcade Fire
    Elbow
    Ryan Bingham and the Dead Horses
    Avett Brothers
    Josh Ritter
    Dispatch

Oh, I could go on and on. Check out this song though. Pure awesomeness.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH9EJg4o9-s