Calorie counting is BLOWING my mind...

Options
Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, sweet Jesus, its getting depressing!! Everytime I consider drinking a coke, Im like, good God man, that's another 140 calories Im throwing away... Lucky me, Ive got a hankering for unsweet tea, but there are some things I was quite surprised to see how much they are "worth". Bananas are 110 each? WOW! ITS A FRUIT RIGHT?? Lol I had a glazed donut and a glass of milk one day, and it still cost me more calories than my eggs, bacon, and fried potatoes (and unsweet tea) the following day ~ and that other meal filled me up longer (until I needed something crunchy to snack on ~ enter the ever-loving and forgiving pretzel!!). Just wondering if anyone else has had any "ARE YOU SERIOUS??" moments... Im sure I cannot possibly be the only one... ;)

Replies

• ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I probably should but I don't count calories at all and have lost about 45 lbs. hah. I dunno.. it's just not my thing.
  • cutiekaylaa
    Options
    I've been doing this for just over two months now, and I still feel the same. I go to make myself a burger, and then I realize that there is like 250 calories in just the patty, so I'm like well I guess I'm not eating that anymore.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yes. Beef tongue. I couldn't believe how many calories are in it, and I love it. Fortunately, I am still at a higher calorie count, so I can continue to enjoy it for a while longer.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Having those "are you serious??" moments are necessary I think for anyone starting their journey...I most definitely had my fair share, and sometimes still do!! Once you get into a groove, you'll start to understand why some foods are so expensive calorie-wise and learn to avoid/moderate them.
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have them all the time. My mom will say do you want an oreo or something like that and I say no, they're too expensive. She looks at me like I'm crazy. She doesn't realize I'm talking expensive in calories and not $. But I kind of treat it like money, get the most out of what little calories i have!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    Oh yeah... I'm right there with ya! I didn't realize - altho I should've - how MANY calories I was consuming on a daily basis until I started keeping track of it. The good news is the better the food is for you, the better the calories are. Your 110 calorie banana, for instance, is better for you than a 90 calorie Rice Crispy Treat. (But the Rice Crispy Treat tastes better! yummy!!) So it's all perspective.

But yeah... I'm right there with ya!!
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I agree, but it blew my mind in a good way. I thought "I can't believe I eat SO much in a day- this is ridiculous." Now, I don't know what I would do without counting calories. It's a good habit, that I'm sticking with.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Yep I have these "are you serious?" moments (frankfurters!!!!!), mind you I also I have the complete opposite: "Are you serious? I can eat this, I love it and it fits well in my diary?" (Tuna, Salmon, Chicken, mushrooms...).
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Now I think about how many calories I am going to have to add to MFP every time I eat something :) It has helped me be conscious of it though, so that is good. I also enjoy adding my exercise so I can eat more calories ;-)
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    PIZZA ROLLS!!!! and freaking chocolate milk!!!! but you know what... I drink the chocolate milk anyways :D
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I've been doing this for just over two months now, and I still feel the same. I go to make myself a burger, and then I realize that there is like 250 calories in just the patty, so I'm like well I guess I'm not eating that anymore.
    Check your grocery store. Morans makes a 96/4 frozen patty that is only 150 calories and 5g fat. I throw a little garlic and onion powder, and worchester sauce on it before I grill and it is delicious. Instead of a traditional bun I use a Sara Lee honey nut sandwich thin which is another 100 calories and tastes good too.
  • LexusG
    LexusG Posts: 9
    Options
    Man, this health thing is harder than I thought, i just want to be healthy so im better at my sports and i want to bang my head against the wall everytime i see a doughnut or choco bar at the store or at home telling myself NO :P
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    That's why have this handly little tool though, right?

Bananas are extremely calorific. People just don't realise!
    Swap in fruits like berries, melon, citrus and apples. There's a lot of fruit that you make a portion of, and the opposite's true, only that many!?
    It's impossible to get fat on raw veg or salad (I mean PROPER salad, pasta and cheese is not salad!)
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I feel that way sometimes, but you realize that some things are worth the calories and some are not. I've given more thought to what I will eat especially on the weekends (I make sure to work out) because I love my cocktails with hubbie and friends. I would rather have that than a piece of chocolate cake. I never would have said that 2 months ago, but I am really determined to lose the extra weight I have been collecting for the last 15 years. You can do this!!
  • overachieving
    Options
    Cheese has become my nemesis! I always want to add it to everything, but then it's like 'Oh hey there 200 extra calories'...
    I hope it gets easier.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Oh and I miss hot wings so bad I wake in the middle of the night thinking of them. LOL
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    See, in the case of the banana, I don't worry so much. They fill me up for only 110 calories (or 103 calories, or 97 calories, it isn't exact). But on the other hand, the chocolate cake leftover from my son's birthday is 350+ calories per serving and it isn't nearly as filling, so I have to then couple it with ice cream (another 300+ calories). Then I get a sugar rush and a headache and I feel awful from putting that crap into my body.

Yep, I don't worry about the banana, and I don't freak out if my lunch was 500 calories, because I try to make healthy choices. And by the end of the day, I'm usually trying to find something to fill the last 200 or so calories to hit 1500 for the day because I'm not really hungry, but I still want to make sure I'm sustaining my body.

I used to worry about how many calories things were. A meal in a recipe book would be 450 calories, and I'd stay away from it. I would prefer to eat my day away in 50 and 100 calorie increments. And I obsessed about food. All. The. Time. I'm not so obsessive anymore. If I want it, I have a serving. I mean, 23 almonds are 160 calories, and that isn't a whole lot of almonds, but if I chew them slowly and thoroughly, by the time I am done, I feel full.

I think it's just a matter of changing your eating perspective. I used to live to eat, but now I eat to live, so I don't give the Coke a second glance. :)
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    Oh yeah, I definately have the "Are you F*#&@&% kidding me?" moment! Kinda makes me wanna cry! LOL, but I don't cut out things that I love (i.e. ice cream, I just have half a serving.)
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The shorter you are, the less you weigh, the more valuable those calories become - I'm there with you. Try eating 1/2 of the stuff you want; save the other 1/2 for tomorrow. More variety and saves money, too. I use sandwich thins instead of buns now for 1/2 the calories and greek yogurt instead of regular for double the protein. The longer you are on here the easier it gets.