Replies

• KristaWeiss
    KristaWeiss Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of Lipton flavored tea (bags) and also add lemon or splenda
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Flavored Seltzer water is a great change from just water.
  • goodbyeexcess
    Options
    OMG. Girl u NEED to try "Ice" water. Flavored water and it's AH-mazing!!!!!!!!!!!! 0 calories - 0 sugar- 0 everything (but very high in vitamins.) Can be found at ur local Costco. I recommend it 110%! Comes in DELISH flavors.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    We keep sugar free Koolaid ( I prefer grape) in the fridge for the fam. Kids don't want just water and milk so it is a little sweet treat and only 5 calories...better than the 150 soda :)

I also drink herbal tea at my desk and powerade zero for workouts. I try not to waste calories on drinks except for milk or an occasional bit of juice
  • FrauHausMaus
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! I like the idea of adding fruit to seltzer water- I think that would help with the sodas I have been missing so much. I might try the Mio too.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I used to throw lemon/lime in my water the night before and in the morning i'd throw in cucumber. It made the water taste really...light (because it tastes so heavy normally ? I don't know...) I love water though. My boss walked in on me in the kitchen just chugging my entire 24oz water bottle one day. Lemon, lime, cucumber all add nice flavor, or try seltzer water maybe? Flavored water?
  • FrauHausMaus
    Options
    I put lemon juice in water and add a little stevia and it tastes like the best lemonade ever. I also do the same thing with black tea, add a bit of lemon juice and stevia and it tastes like I've got myself a Starbucks black tea lemonade.

I haven't tried Stevia yet. Does it have an aftertaste?
  • MaryTuttle
    MaryTuttle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "Stay away from diet or artificial" is my moto. Drinking water is tough to get use to if it is new to you. Drink it hot, drink it room temp, drink it cold and on the rocks. Try different tea (hot and cold), coffee (hot and cold), soy milk, coconut vanilla milk by Silk is yummy.
  • agarris4
    agarris4 Posts: 23
    Options
    Minute Maid has a juice drink called Raspberry Passion, it is considered "lite". It has 15 calories for every 8 fluid ounces and 2g of sugar. I love it and so does my husband (and he hates anything diet!).
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am doing much more water with lemon and orange sliced in it (have an infusion pitcher)...but when I am hitting the soda urge....I sometimes buy those small cans of coke...the 100 calorie ones and put it in glass with lots of ice....smaller amount of the real thing hits the spot.
  • madcatlady75
    madcatlady75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same as you in that I really want sugary soda and hate the diet versions although I do drink water happily enough.

I mix fruit juice (orange, orange and mango) with either diet lemonade or soda water or carbonated mineral water. Fewer calories than real soda, taste great, no sweeteners.

Different fruit teas could work, even if you add a spoonful of sugar to them still far better than coke.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Do NOT drink anything out there with Aspartame or any other form of it. When that stuff reaches 87 degrees Fahrenheit, it is converted into Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is the chemical that funeral homes and taxidermists use to embalm bodies and dead animals. The stuff is extremely toxic. Do you really want to be ingesting that stuff? My mom and I have completely gotten rid of absolutely any foods and drinks containing that.

Reality check:
    Yes it's true, but in small amounts. A lot of hype has been made about aspartame and formaldehyde, lots of scary stories about hair falling out, brain tumors, cancer, and a whole list of other maladies that have no basis in scientific fact.

The reality is, many things consumed by people create formaldehyde in the body, namely citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits, tomatoes, and alcohol to name a few, some in much greater quantities than what's found in artificial sweeteners.

We take on a lot more toxins than we know, and the body is very adept at removing most of them. We stand a much greater risk from much more socially acceptable poisons like sugar, high fructose corn syrup, processed chemically laden foods designed for maximum shelf life, alcohol, prescription drugs
  • Jefster
    Jefster Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Check out a Soda Stream, home Soda Maker. Essentially it's a home carbonator, but you can easily make carbonated beverages and control what you put in them.

You can just put some fresh lemon or lime juice in, or a spot of strawberry, etc. If you like, mix in some Truvia, etc.

http://www.sodastream.com/
  • kimberly130
    Options
    Ewwww i hate diet too! the aspartame is the aftertaste you are getting. its really bad for you i get really sick from it. I like to freeze fruit. Pineapple, c antelope, watermelon and strawberries work best, than put them in my water like ice cubes. it gives u flavor and natural "good" sugars.
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options
    Frankly, it sounds like you're asking a little much. You're bored with water but can't abide any other zero-calorie drink. You need to compromise somewhere or suck it up and stick with water.

This. Water is the healthiest decision as far as drinks go, and if you're really dedicated to making a healthy lifestyle choice, there shouldn't be any question.

However, slicing fruit or throwing some raspberries in water really brings a nice, light flavor to water, or slicing cucumber as well (as others have said). After a while of drinking water rather than sugary drinks, you train your palette. It takes some commitment but after a while it won't even phase you.
  • Rockindreamer
    Options
    I am sure I will be roasted for this but, I still have soda. I am still losing weight because I make sure I have a healthy diet all day long, i minimize my sugars and sodium in all my other foods. I used to drink at least a six pack a day. now i drink one. i found doing this i do not feel like i am depriving myself, and yesterday i only drank about half of it. this has really helped me to minimize my cravings for it. I drink my 80oz of water a day tho, its not instead of water, its just in addition to it.