How many calories do you leave for dinner/end of day?

Options
I feel like maybe I under eat during the day and then I have a bizillion calories left for dinner and snack. What are you averaging for dinner calorie wise?
I think I do this b/c I am scared of overeating and the cushion is safe..

Replies

• autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try to have about 400 for breakfast, 400 for lunch, and that leaves 650 for dinner and a snack.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the same thing.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I usually leave 550 - 600 for dinner.

However, if I know what I'm cooking for dinner, I'll add it in in the morning so I have an estimate of what I've got left for the rest of the day.

When I cook dinner and dish up I tweak the amounts I added in the morning so everything is 100% correct.
  • king821
    king821 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I leave 200-300 calories left... I know your suppose to eat all 1200 but I have been losing and Im not hungry so I hope that's okay!
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    My daily aim is 300-400 cal per meal. Sometimes I go over, sometimes I way under eat. (Like today, I have over 700 cal left!) But I don't snack during the day, so that makes it easier to know my meal goal. Good luck!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I feel like maybe I under eat during the day and then I have a bizillion calories left for dinner and snack. What are you averaging for dinner calorie wise?

i do that too.....when it comes to dinner i often have 800-1000 calories left for the day
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I usually try to leave around 700-800 calories for dinner. That's about 40% of my daily allowance.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I save about 80% of my calories for the day for the evening when I'm at home and not at work.
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I do that too!!! For me, it is a comfort thing - afraid if I eat more than 1/2 my daily calories during the day, somehow I will end up super hungry in the evening and not have enough to fill me up. But then when I make dinner, it is usually about 1/2 of my remaining calories and since most of my snacks are low cal, I end up eating several of them. Plus, when I make it to the gym, I have even more calories that could be eaten. I have been considering beefing up my breakfast to use more calories and give my metabolism a boost early.
  • Dramatic456
    Dramatic456 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can always plan ahead (on days when you can) and then you budget more evenly (without getting scared you're going to "run out" of calories and be starving. However, I think you should leave the most calories for the meal you enjoy the most-- for me, that will ALWAYS be dinner. So I always leave more calories for that meal!
  • LHSHokie
    LHSHokie Posts: 18
    Options
    The night before, I put in everything that I plan to eat the following day to see how it adds up. If I'm eating a low-calorie dinner, I add more to my lunch. It's like a puzzle that I try to figure out on a daily basis.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Im thje same..im very stingy with breakfast, if I ever eat it, hardly ever eat lunch and pig out for dinner ( on healthy stuff, though). everyone says it's better to pig out for breakfast, have a modest lunch and a very simple evening meal...ho hum.
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    I usually try to leave around 700-800 calories for dinner. That's about 40% of my daily allowance.

Me too. I snack throughout the day but try to stick to lower calorie snacks. I need around 40% left for dinner (more if I want dessert :smile:).
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Heck, it seems to be working well for you!!!!!! Congrats on your great weightless. Mine varies, but since dinner is my time to wind down, I like to have a lot left, plus sometimes do more exercise to get more calories.
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    I do the same thing. I'm afraid to load up in the morning, and then be "screwed" for dinner. My answer to that is to plan my meals/snacks the night before (on weekdays anyway, while I am packing my food for work the next day), and log it all. I usually plan our dinner the night before as well, but if not, all the rest of my food is logged and I know up front how many I have for dinner. When I log on to MFP in the morning, I am usually starting off with a big red negative as well, because I log my exercise once I have done it. That's another thing, I plan my exercise and have a good idea how much I am going to burn. So, really, my suggestion is to plan, plan, plan. Good luck!!
  • HeatherSuzanne123
    Options
    Have you ever planned your meals? I find when I plan my meals out, and my dinner is usually the largest meal of the day and I prelog I don't have to worry about over or under eating. I just adjust my calories at the end of the day, if neccassary.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal/day, so I try to allot 300 for each meal, plus snack. If I have exercise calories to spend, which is most of the time, then that's a bonus.
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    I am trying to get back to where most of my calories are at the beginning of my day, that works for me because I don't eat much for dinner and dinner is never later than 7pm. I also would rather do that because I do not like going to bed feeling full at all.

With the amount of exercise I am getting each day I always have plenty of calories left over if I did decide to use them for a "bigger" dinner.

Also a not for everyone tip, I've cut out all fast food (with exception of Subway) and processed foods. That cuts out the possibility of consuming way too many calories in one sitting. If I know we're celebrating something and we're going out to a resturant to eat I will workout more that day and also "pre-plan" my meal by going onto the website of the resturant and locating their nutritional information..honestly once I began to do this is when I stopped eating out anyways. The calories are usually more than one should consume in an entire day, let alone one meal, and I will not even begin to go into the amount of sodium that is in resturant meals.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have anywhere from 400 to over 1000... but usually try to be on the higher end as a cushion. My dinners are big.... healthy, but big. I think, more importantly, its about planning for that big or small dinner. If its small, I'll just do chicken and broccoli. If its big... maybe its mexican fiesta night! (which can be small too, but I prefer a GOOD mexican fiesta night w/ chicken, beans, salsa, guac... and yes, tortillas)
  • cmvanwinkle
    Options
    "Eat like a king for breakfast, queen for lunch, prince for dinner." I definitely eat the most for breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout the day, leaving less than 500 calories for the evenings when I'm typically not hungry anyway. Then I wake up in the morning starving, and it's cyclical from there... :)