Carbs -- I just can't do it

bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
edited September 30 in Food and Nutrition
How in the world do you get all the carbs this site thinks you should have. It says I should eat 200+ a day, but I can't ever get that many. Saturday I had pancakes with maple syrup, beer, wine, a cookie, and pasta, in addition to some other stuff and still was 6 carbs short. Most days I'm under by more than 100 g. I eat veggies, sometimes fruit, pasta, rice, wraps, sometimes bread, etc. and drink wine or beer but I never can get all those carbs. Ugh! What's a girl got to do to get those carbs???

Replies

• youve been around long enough to know looking at your posting...and those carbs youre having arent even good carbs. *eyeroll*
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    You can adjust your nutrient settings under goals, mine are set to 40/30/30. The protein on this site is low and I do not having as many carbs as MFP recommends.

Also try whole grained carbs and fruits and veggies for your carb intake.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I don't worry about the carbs and rarely meet the daily goal, if ever. I try to meet the goals for calories and fat, and try to exceed the goal for protein and fiber (MFP defaults these too low). I don't even pay attention to carbs unless it looks like I'll go over.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Change your percentages? MFP sets a real high carb, low protein ratio out of the gate. Adjust it to a 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) and you will probably be a lot closer to what you're actually eating. If you're way under on carbs, I assume you're probably way over on protein if you're eating the correct amount of calories, so that should straighten things out.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    youve been around long enough to know looking at your posting...and those carbs youre having arent even good carbs. *eyeroll*
    I second that one!!!
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    That's an awful lot of carbs to eat in a day. Why are your daily carbs set so high?
  • eat less carbs more protein, your not going to lose weight eating pancakes and syrup, those are bad carbs have some apples and fruit!!
  • Rob82
    Rob82 Posts: 15
    There are no "good" carbs. There's no need to eat more then 100g of carbs in a day. Eat plenty of fruit and veggies and you'll get all the carbs you need.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    The site is VERY high in carbs, their recommendation is way to high. And their protein is way too low. It's fine if you don't hit their carb intake.
  • bcattoes
    youve been around long enough to know looking at your posting...and those carbs youre having arent even good carbs. *eyeroll*

What carbs aren't good carbs?? My diary is open. I rarely eat anything but whole grains. My pancakes are whole grain, as are my wraps, pasta, bread etc. The maple syrup is sugar but I rarely eat more than 2 tbs at a time and usually only once a week and always with etiher whole grain pancakes/waffles or a nut butter and oats.

The beer was pretty darn good too. :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    There are no "good" carbs. There's no need to eat more then 100g of carbs in a day. Eat plenty of fruit and veggies and you'll get all the carbs you need.

What?? Of course there are good carbs! Whole grains are very healthy.
  • This morning i had 2 servings of cereal (cheerios, then some organic version of cin toast crunch) with milk, a smoothie, then i had a 90 cal brownie at my friends house... at this point iv gotten over my limit of carbs, sugar and bad fats. :( Bad day for me. But that's how i accomplished it today. Not that i recommend it. Im probably done for the day. I feel like crap.
    Maybe try a healthier cereal with a low cal, high carb? Whatever works for you. But that works a little TOO well for me lol
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    A flippin bowl of oatmeal has 54 in it (2 packets of oatmeal)

I'm trying to do the opposite, I don't want to use all my carbs.
  • bcattoes
    eat less carbs more protein, your not going to lose weight eating pancakes and syrup, those are bad carbs have some apples and fruit!!

I've already lost 24 lbs, with the pancackes and syrup (but I only eat those once or twice a month), and the pasta, and with wine, or occasionally beer, everyday. I'm not really trying to lose any more, although I am still losing about 1 lb every month.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

There are no "good" carbs, there are no "bad" carbs. Carbs are carbs. They're all 4 calories per gram.
  • bcattoes
    A flippin bowl of oatmeal has 54 in it (2 packets of oatmeal)

I'm trying to do the opposite, I don't want to use all my carbs.

I can't stand the consistency of oatmeal though (wish I could!!).
  • bcattoes

There are no "good" carbs, there are no "bad" carbs. Carbs are carbs. They're all 4 calories per gram.

Yes, but some will spike your insulin (bad!) and some will not (good!).
  • bcattoes
    That's an awful lot of carbs to eat in a day. Why are your daily carbs set so high?

IDK It's just what MFP set. It seems high to me too, especially since I entered sedentary for lifestyle (I sit at a desk all day).
  • Rob82
    Rob82 Posts: 15
    Grains are not as good for you as you might think. All carbs become sugar anyway no matter what.
  • bcattoes
    You can adjust your nutrient settings under goals, mine are set to 40/30/30. The protein on this site is low and I do not having as many carbs as MFP recommends.

Also try whole grained carbs and fruits and veggies for your carb intake.

I don't eat many fruits, but I eat veggies and rarely eat any grains that aren't whole grains. Maybe that's my problem. Maybe it counts NET carbs and the protein and fiber of the whole grains is throwing it off. But why would I use this site if the settings are wrong? Surely they use some medical standard to set the goals.
This discussion has been closed.