Carbs -- I just can't do it

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Grains are not as good for you as you might think. All carbs become sugar anyway no matter what.

Whole grains are very good for you! A recent study showed that women who get most of their fiber from whole grains lived longer, healthier (less disease) lives than women who got fiber from other sources.
  • You can adjust your nutrient settings under goals, mine are set to 40/30/30. The protein on this site is low and I do not having as many carbs as MFP recommends.

Also try whole grained carbs and fruits and veggies for your carb intake.

Hmm.. My Calories are 1200, my carbs set as 165 protein 45 and fat as 40.. how should i change that?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    There are no "good" carbs. There's no need to eat more then 100g of carbs in a day. Eat plenty of fruit and veggies and you'll get all the carbs you need.

Excuse me for being rude but this is the stupidest response I think I've seen today.

You say there are no "good" carbs, but then you tell the OP to eat plenty of fruit and veggies and you'll get all the carbs you need.

Not sure if serious or being a troll.
  • joejccva71
    Grains are not as good for you as you might think. All carbs become sugar anyway no matter what.

Another ignorant answer.

Do you even have a clue about nutrition at all?
  • Rob82
    Rob82 Posts: 15

Whole grains are very good for you! A recent study showed that women who get most of their fiber from whole grains lived longer, healthier (less disease) lives than women who got fiber from other sources.

I didn't say fiber was bad for you. Also, be careful who does these studies. The agriculture society has a VERY good reason to make everyone think they should get the majority of their diet from grains. Whole grains will still spike insulin, and they have been associated with vitamin deficiency.
  • Rob82
    There are no "good" carbs. There's no need to eat more then 100g of carbs in a day. Eat plenty of fruit and veggies and you'll get all the carbs you need.

Excuse me for being rude but this is the stupidest response I think I've seen today.

You say there are no "good" carbs, but then you tell the OP to eat plenty of fruit and veggies and you'll get all the carbs you need.

Don't take it so personally. I'm saying if you want to have carbs then get them from fruit and veggies, but I don't think carbs are an essential part of diet. No big deal.
  • joejccva71
    See now you have me posting real studies by the NIH again. This is tiresome.
    Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jan;87(1):79-90.
    The effects of a whole grain-enriched hypocaloric diet on cardiovascular disease risk factors in men and women with metabolic syndrome.
    Katcher HI, Legro RS, Kunselman AR, Gillies PJ, Demers LM, Bagshaw DM, Kris-Etherton PM.
    SourceThe Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Core Endocrine Laboratory, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA.

Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Whole-grain foods are associated in observational studies with a lower body mass index and lower cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk. However, few clinical trials have tested whether incorporating whole grains into a hypocaloric diet increases weight loss and improves CVD risk factors.

OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to determine whether including whole-grain foods in a hypocaloric (reduced by 500 kcal/d) diet enhances weight loss and improves CVD risk factors.

DESIGN: Obese adults (25 M, 25 F) with metabolic syndrome were randomly assigned to receive dietary advice either to avoid whole-grain foods or to obtain all of their grain servings from whole grains for 12 wk. All participants were given the same dietary advice in other respects for weight loss.

RESULTS: Body weight, waist circumference, and percentage body fat decreased significantly (P<0.001) in both groups over the study period, but there was a significantly (P=0.03) greater decrease in percentage body fat in the abdominal region in the whole-grain group than in the refined-grain group. C-reactive protein (CRP) decreased 38% in the whole-grain group independent of weight loss but was unchanged in the refined-grain group (P=0.01 for group x time interaction). Total, LDL, and HDL cholesterol decreased in both diet groups (P<0.05). Dietary fiber and magnesium intakes increased in the whole-grain but not the refined-grain group (P=0.007 and P<0.001, respectively, for group x time interaction).

CONCLUSIONS: Both hypocaloric diets were effective means of improving CVD risk factors with moderate weight loss. There were significantly (P<0.05) greater decreases in CRP and percentage body fat in the abdominal region in participants consuming whole grains than in those consuming refined grains.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18175740
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    You don't need that many, I'm sure. Change your percentages in my home / goals / change goals / custom. Your protein should be at least 25% which will make your carbs 45-50% depending on what you set fat for. I'm set for 45% carbs, 25% protein, 30% fat and I'm doing just fine and I seem to get enough of everything and don't typically go over on anything except the occasional fat if I use olive oil twice in one day or eat nuts and olive oil in one day, etc.
  • bcattoes

I didn't say fiber was bad for you. Also, be careful who does these studies. The agriculture society has a VERY good reason to make everyone think they should get the majority of their diet from grains. Whole grains will still spike insulin, and they have been associated with vitamin deficiency.

I only read studies published from sources I know to be reliable, then it doesn't matter who paid for the study. If it wasn't medically and scientifically verifiable, they wouldn't publish it. As for the last sentence, I'll have to ask for some type of proof from a reputable medical organization before I would believe that. Every medical organization I can think of recommends eating whole grains as part of a healthy diet.
  • joejccva71

Don't take it so personally. I'm saying if you want to have carbs then get them from fruit and veggies, but I don't think carbs are an essential part of diet. No big deal.

They aren't an essential part of a diet, but thats not what the OP was asking, if you read what bcatt was trying to say. Then you make ignorant statements saying "there are no good carbs". Sure there are depending on your goals.

Maybe bcatt was an athlete and needs the carbs, not mention complex carbs in her system because they burn slower giving her extra energy.

Do I need to go on?
  • Rob82
    Well I agree that if you're going to eat grains they should be whole grains and not refined.
  • bcattoes
    You don't need that many, I'm sure. Change your percentages in my home / goals / change goals / custom. Your protein should be at least 25% which will make your carbs 45-50% depending on what you set fat for. I'm set for 45% carbs, 25% protein, 30% fat and I'm doing just fine and I seem to get enough of everything and don't typically go over on anything except the occasional fat if I use olive oil twice in one day or eat nuts and olive oil in one day, etc.

Well, I'm doing fine too, at least according to my doctors I am. But I don't see why I should need to change something. Either this site is using medically proven goals or I should ignore it altogether.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member

Not always true. As a celiac I'll vouch that whole grains are killer for some of us. Also, a lot of research is being done into gluten and its purpose in the body, and a lot of people are seeing that we it too much of it.
  • joejccva71
    Well I agree that if you're going to eat grains they should be whole grains and not refined.
    The agriculture society has a VERY good reason to make everyone think they should get the majority of their diet from grains. Whole grains will still spike insulin, and they have been associated with vitamin deficiency.

So you weren't talking about whole grains in the beginning?
  • Rob82
    You're right. I shouldn't have assumed she wasn't a professional athlete. She did mention that she has a desk job later on though so I will stand by my statement that fruit and vegetables will supply all the carbs she would need.
    Maybe I shouldn't have made sucha wide sweeping statement, but instead just told her that 200+ carbs a day is way more then she needs.
    My apologies defender of the message boards.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466

Very much agreed.

Carbohydrates are the only macronutrient your body doesn't need in order to survive, but I don't think you'll be able to convince those who have been brainwashed into believing in the "heart healthy diet".

I just hope one day the people in charge of our food pyramid will say "Ok, we were wrong. Sorry!". Probably will never happen, instead they'll just start suggesting little by little to limit the amount of carbohydrates in our diet (they already started doing this for morbidly obese people, yet they don't suggest this for everyone else... SMH).
  • Rob82
    The agriculture society has a VERY good reason to make everyone think they should get the majority of their diet from grains. Whole grains will still spike insulin, and they have been associated with vitamin deficiency.

So you weren't talking about whole grains in the beginning?

I was talking about all grains, including whole. My qoute above says IF you're going to eat grains at all they should be whole.
  • joejccva71

Not always true. As a celiac I'll vouch that whole grains are killer for some of us. Also, a lot of research is being done into gluten and its purpose in the body, and a lot of people are seeing that we it too much of it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/AN00303
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    My apologies defender of the message boards.

win.
  • Rob82

Very much agreed.

Carbohydrates are the only macronutrient your body doesn't need in order to survive, but I don't think you'll be able to convince those who have been brainwashed into believing in the "heart healthy diet".

I just hope one day the people in charge of our food pyramid will say "Ok, we were wrong. Sorry!". Probably will never happen, instead they'll just start suggesting little by little to limit the amount of carbohydrates in our diet (they already started doing this for morbidly obese people, yet they don't suggest this for everyone else... SMH).

Thank you! Just be careful in here. These peeople love their carbs!
This discussion has been closed.