What made you finally get off your butt?

Options
jamie78
jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
Mine is.. I come from a very overweight family by everyone I mean everyone! well except me... and that is only because I have always said I am not going to be fat! My grandmother is over 300 pounds and has so many health problems it isn't funny! She can hardly walk and pretty much uses her scooter even in the house!!! She doesn't even try to walk from one room to the next! My sister (about 250) and mom (about 180) are headed down that same path.. My Mom at least cares and tries to lose weight, but she is always looking for a miracle lose it fast diet and my sister just doesn't care and continues to stuff her face... This makes me very sad!
SO even as a teenager it has been my life long goal to stay thin and healthy.

The biggest I have been is 185 one year after giving birth (205 if you count pregnancy) Today I am 131 and I am pretty happy with my weight. Not really my body.. Kids and surgery killed my stomach so I still have a lot of work to do there but I am getting there slowly but surely!

What made you finally say enough is enough and get off your butt to lose the weight? and what is the biggest you have been and where are you now?

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I hit an all time high weight wise, and went clothes shopping with my friend who just lost a lot of weight.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When I went for my first post breastfeeding annual exam and saw that I weighed the same amount I had one week after giving birth; which also happened to be my highest non-pregnancy weight.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale and noticed I weighed 252.... which meant I was closer to weighing 300 pounds, than 200. And that scared me!

What kept me motivated for the 6 years it took me to lose 100 pounds, was I did not want to end up like my mom (who has countless medical problems due to her weight and inactivity).
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I stepped on a scale in 2008 and almost died when i saw what it read.
    I restarted my journey - this march. I want to have kids - and I fear my weight will hold me back from getting pregnant.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I saw an everyday picture of myself. It made me want to puke. I didn't realize I had gotten so huge. Just finally said, enough is enough. I'd like to be around to enjoy my grand kids....lol
  • rjgazray
    rjgazray Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I recognized that I was gradually gaining weight and doing nothing about it. I have too many friends who have just let it go and then are shocked when they wake up one day weighing over 200 pounds. So I stopped it in its tracks. My main goal was to become healthy as I have a lot of family medical history that isn't pretty. I now love working out!!
  • Incunabulum
    Options
    I was tired of being sedentary. I remembered when I could run a 10K and finish only slightless breathless. I realized that I was still consuming foods the way a runner would, except I wasn't running or exercising in any way. I liked having abs when I was physically active in running, martial arts, and rock climbing. I want to see those abs again, trade in my pony keg for the eight-pack. I also understand I can potentially prolong my life by being more active and living a healthier lifestyle. It's nice to be able to do a one-armed push-up and pull-up again, even if I can only do one of each!
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is a good question, I like it. I think my moment was a combination of going back to school and remembering what I weighed during my undergrad and then when I started to have panic attacks I read that it's essential to get your blood sugar under control - constant spikes can trigger panic attacks. Making a few small changes made me lose a little bit of weight and I was so happy, I wanted to keep going.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The fact that I had health issues (PCOS,Insuline Resistance, Hypothyroidism) which caused me to gain (not lose) weight. Once my doc was so happy that I lost weight just on the right medication..thats all it took..and now..I am 15 pounds from goal...and LOVING it...
  • Hannahluux
    Options
    For once I want to feel pretty and in shape. At the moment I hate looking at my body in the mirror, I feel like I shouldn't be this size, I should be skinnier. I want to feel healthier and look healthier & show everyone I CAN do it (: xx
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My whole family except my bro and me, are over weight-unhealthy-junk food eaters.
    My mom has a continues line of health problems, type two dibetic, nearly died, and STILL she does NOT try to change her ways. She makes me run and get her sodas from the garage, or makes my brother drive out at 10 at night for slurpees. And if you DARE say, as your handing her the food "aren't you diebetic?Should you be having this?" You will be knee deep in trouble.

I use to be bullied as a child for being over weight. Suffered from a eating disorder when I was 12, overcame anorexia, and now eat healthy, work out nearly everyday, and make sure my weight stays in check.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I come from an all-obese family. No one other than myself weighs under 300. Well, my grandmother does NOW (she's even under 200) and my mom barely does, but that's because she is going thru chemo. I hit an all-time high (241.2) and realized I was almost 250 lbs! I am NOT going to continue this cycle with my child. I have a 2 year old and I don't want him to hear "Your momma's so fat" jokes and take them to heart (like I did)... I also want to be able to run around in the park with him when he's 3 or 4 and keep up with him... not sit on a bench while he plays! I want him to have the memories of him and his FIT momma playing, and I want to have those memories too. So, it's to set and example for him AND to really enjoy the time i have with him.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i am 5 8 and was always around 185 and for the most part content with myself but i started loosing weight and after my divorce I got down to a size 5 at 145 lbs and LOVED IT then i got pregnant with my son and gained 80 lbs then I couldn't work out after he was born due to having 2 rounds of injections in my back and then got pregnant with my youngest son 5 months after my oldest was born and was 270 when he was born and I was DETERMINED to get back to 160 and hopefully 145 in the end.

I have been busting my butt for 9 months and am 18 lbs from 160.

my kids were the big eye opener for me.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I kept thinking it would just happen, I don't know what, but that it would just come off with out me doing anything. I realized I have to take control or I will never get to enjoy my life, so that is what I have done.
  • catclws
    catclws Posts: 15
    Options
    I too hit an all time high weight and was in the fitting room trying ti find something that fit!
    looked at myself in the fitting room mirror trying to zip up a pair of jeans with a huge muffin top
    and i wanted to cry. that's when I said that's it! i don't want to be the fat grandma!
  • brazilian27
    Options
    my came from over weight family too I been overweight myself for my entire life. I was 185 lbs once in my life I went down to 116 lbs ( I felt horrible I looked like a sick person ) I went back to 150 lbs after taking my IUD off...it almos killed me!!! now I'm 137 and my goal is 125 to 130 maximum. I hate my belly as well and I'm trying to work on it..btu I believe I will never hava a perfect one unless I remove my extra skin..( I hate it so bad!!)
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My whole family except my bro and me, are over weight-unhealthy-junk food eaters.
    My mom has a continues line of health problems, type two dibetic, nearly died, and STILL she does NOT try to change her ways. She makes me run and get her sodas from the garage, or makes my brother drive out at 10 at night for slurpees. And if you DARE say, as your handing her the food "aren't you diebetic?Should you be having this?" You will be knee deep in trouble.

I use to be bullied as a child for being over weight. Suffered from a eating disorder when I was 12, overcame anorexia, and now eat healthy, work out nearly everyday, and make sure my weight stays in check.
    Me too.. I was chunky as a child and was made fun of and also went through EDs for most of my teenage years.
  • aquabunny101
    Options
    My Grandmother who is 89 years old... who said... and I quote "if you don't lay off those carbs we're going to have to grease your sides to get you out the door!" Bless, I don't think she meant any harm and didn't quite realise how that sounded...I made me laugh but also gave me the kick up the *kitten* to finally give this a proper go! Kate x
  • bellieff
    bellieff Posts: 43
    Options
    aside from all of the health benefits that come with being fit, i was tired of un tagging photos of me my mother in law would post on an almost daily basis on facebook. she has no consideration for how terrible anyone looks in a picture and i didnt want to share that with people i havent seen in years. so i decided to fix it by getting back to a weight where im happy seeing myself and sharing it with others.

and i couldnt fit into a damn thing i owned.

but mostly my mother in law. and my stick thin sister in laws that i was always next to in the pictures making me look like an elephant.

so do i thank her? or continue to be annoyed lol
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I had been trying for years but nothing worked until I quit drinking.