Options

Replies

• jyls
    jyls Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump. Can't wait to try :love:
  • alyssaguirguis
    Options
    This sounds really good...but nonstick pan plus nonstick spray plus high heat equals release of carcinogens.
    Just a thought if there's any way to change the recipe and still taste good.

Also, I've been making shredded zucchini in food processor and mixing that half and half with pasta.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was married to a Chinese Chef and he used to use shredded lettuce in his ramen noodles in place of bean sprouts at times. Also a small amount of sesame oil drizzled in the bowl at the end give it that wok flavor. Great with hot oil too. We used to break a few pieces of aspargus in them. Or add a broken egg in the stock during the last minute of cooking. Don't forget the thinly sliced green onions after they are done.

mmm good to know I'll keep in mind :wink:
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Are the noodle actually made from tofu? Never heard of them before. How many cals per 100g in the noodle and how many g's do you have per portion. Sounds interesting. Xx

Shirataki noodles are made from 100% konjac yam (a Japanese yam). The tofu-shirataki noodles have tofu blended into the shirataki too create a noodle that looks a little more like pasta.

Pure shirataki noodles have 0-10 calories per 100g, depending on brand, and tofu-shirataki noodles have about 20 calories per 100g.

Enjoy!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I was married to a Chinese Chef and he used to use shredded lettuce in his ramen noodles in place of bean sprouts at times. Also a small amount of sesame oil drizzled in the bowl at the end give it that wok flavor. Great with hot oil too. We used to break a few pieces of aspargus in them. Or add a broken egg in the stock during the last minute of cooking. Don't forget the thinly sliced green onions after they are done.

Great tip! I also use bok choy a lot for bulk.
  • nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • finallychelle
    Options
    what is kimchi?? Is it just a hot sauce like tabasco??

Kimchi is fermented vegetables that have been spiced. The sauce I mention is for spicing the veggies. In Korea the most popular kimchi is made from fermented cabbage.

You can use any kind of hot sauce you want, though!
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    bump
  • wolffcm
    wolffcm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump!!!:smile:
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    Sounds great. Thanks.
  • motivatedmommy00
    Options
    I just wandered over here and saw this, WOW! These sound fantastic! And it stays well within my Carbs that I'm allowed with this Gestational Diabetes that I'm struggling with!

Thanks for posting this!!! YUM!
  • Lissa_1234
    Options
    That sounds AMAZING!
  • cassidygrooms
    Options
    mmmmm I just made this and it is DELICIOUS. Although I put a little too much hot sauce in it. **mouth burning**
  • vsmith1981
    vsmith1981 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just be cautious with all those beans sprouts and the pesticides they're sprayed with - get organic if you can afford.

Rather be a little heavier than sick or cancerous.
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try this!!!
  • qck2
    qck2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would love to try this!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lpdqzmQZ7R1qf7n0mo1_500.jpg

In order to feel full— really full— at least once per day (a requirement in my life) and still keep my calorie intake low, I rely heavily on bean sprouts and tofu shirataki noodles.

Tofu shirataki noodles cost $2.29/package at Publix but I can get them at the local Asian markets for only $1.99. Fresh bean sprouts are $3.49/pound at Kroger, $3.99/pound at Publix— and only $1.19/pound at every Asian market in town (there are a total of 5 Asian markets in the next town over).

Hopefully you can find an inexpensive source for bean sprouts because they are SO versatile. I eat about one pound per day. If you have to travel far for then go ahead and buy 10 or 20 pounds or so. They can be frozen for up to 12 months if you blanch them first— shorter periods if you don’t. I go through 10 pounds in a week so I just zip lock ‘em without blanching, freeze them— and pull them out, as needed.

I try different concoctions and I must say that I have stumbled upon my best one yet, tonight.

Here is my recipe for the ultimate “169 Calorie BIG BIG BIG Bowl Of Noodles”:

Put your favorite non-stick frying pan on the stove, spray with non-stick spray and turn the jet to “HIGH.”

As it heats up, rinse the 1/2 pound package of tofu shirataki noodles in a colander with hot water and dump them into the frying pan.

As they start to cook, rinse 4 cups (that’s a LOT) of bean sprouts in the colander with cold water and dump them into the frying pan with the noodles.

Fry on HIGH, uncovered (that part is important), turning with a spatula, occasionally.

They will NOT stick to your pan. They are goof proof. They require VERY little attention.

While the bean sprouts and noodles are frying, thoroughly mix the following ingredients in a bowl:

lite soy sauce (1 tbsp), kimchee base or some other hot red sauce that you like the flavor of (1 tbsp), Anne’s Old Fashioned Chicken Base (3 tsp) OR 3 chicken bouillon cubes, McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb Seasoning (1 tsp) and garlic powder (2 tsp).

Add a pinch of water if the mixture is too thick.

Once the bean sprouts begin to brown remove the pan from the heat and pour the spicy mixture over the noodles. Mix thoroughly into the noodles and bean sprouts with the spatula and serve.

The bean sprouts and tofu shirataki noodles work together to create a *really* good noodle feel in the mouth. The mixture is a bit high in sodium but you’re much better off eating this than potato chips for a snack.

Your big bowl of noodles will contain 11g of carbs (of which 5g are fiber, so it only has 6 net grams of carbohydrate), 4g of fat and 10g of protein.

I ate the entire bowl and I feel like I just finished Thanksgiving dinner.

Did I mention that the entire bowl was only 169 calories?

Sure I did— but it was worth mentioning again!

-Chelle
    Yum Thanks for sharing
  • barefoot75
    barefoot75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    oh i gotta try this! thanks for sharing!
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    YUMMO!!!
  • b757
    b757 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    good deal, thanks for sharing!