Any vegetarians out there?

Options
13»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The best way to get away from too many carbs is to make sure every meal is 50-75% veggies, then the rest grains/legumes/nuts, seeds, fats. Also, try to make sure you are eating whole grain carbs - nothing white, minimal eating of pasta and breads - go for things like brown rice, quiinoa, amaranth, oats, etc.
  • cmsiemsen
    cmsiemsen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, have been one for over three years. I somehow managed to get fat as one by gorging myself with cheese, junk-food, and alcohol.

Since I found out I am allergic to corn (which really limits the meat-substitute products out there), I have had to watch what I eat even more. I balance my diet with a lot more raw (& cooked) fruits and veggies along with a good amount of protein not to mention exercising as often as possible; the pounds are coming off!!!

Congrats on making the choice to be healthier with a vegetarian lifestyle (properly, I hope) :smile:
  • keggen
    keggen Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Let's just call me a slack vegetarian - I eat milk, eggs, and fish. But having a 3 year old and a meat eating husband who can't imagine pasta being anything other than white, makes things difficult. I do count myself lucky that my daughter loves beans and lentils. She loves rice and lentil soup, or at least a few months ago she did. Who knows by this winter! I'd love to hear suggestions from others in the same situation. I also have mild to moderate (easily controlled with medication) IBD (UC for those who know what I'm talking about.).
    I've been neglecting my food diary for a couple of weeks. I'll try to get back to it and maybe make it viewable (it's a bit embarrassing some days).
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I'm trying out eating vegan for a month to see how it goes, I've been lacto ovo for about a year and a half. We'll see how it goes! I'm excited to make the switch though.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I am too!
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    Anyone read "The Kind Life Diet" yet? It's really inspired me to be more Vegan (ovo-lacto vegetarian now.) I've cut way back on the cheese and eggs. So far, so good! I liked her book, but I did feel it was a little extreme for me. Maybe I'll get there one day. I'm having a hard time totally giving up my organic farmers market cheese and eggs. When you know the farmers and where the food comes from, it really does make it so much more delicious (and humane!) So I'm hesitant to totally let that go.

I'm curious what others though of the book (if you read it.)
  • MJStory
    MJStory Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but have friends who are. I also worked at a Seventh Day Adventist hospital for 12 years (I'm an RN), and became fond of much of the vege. fare. What kind of vege. are you? There are several varieties of vegetarianism: lacto-ovo vege (eat dairy & egg products), strict vege (more recently called vegan), Catholic vege. (eat fish instead of meat), and there are variations on all of these. Eating vegetarian can be very healthy for you, but it takes a lot of focus to get enough protein. Soy is the favorite protein source for many veges., and it costs less than shopping for meat. It may surprise you that there are other vegetables high in protein, as well. The most difficult thing with veges. is getting enough vitamin B12 that helps digest iron, to help you keep your red blood cell count up (low blood cell count is called anemia), that can be corrected by taking B12 supplements. There are tons of information online, and you can Google to find more specific information.

I hope this helps!
  • queenofthemountains
    Options
    I've been veggie for at least 20 years. I'm fiercely allergic to Quorn; I eat cheese and free-range eggs, but definitely nothing with a face or a mamma! (And nothing that looks like meat either).
  • squeak1989
    Options
    Veggie for 10 years and 6 years of that a vegan - although I've fallen off the vegan wagon in the last 6 months. Having a veggie or vegan diet does not guarantee that it is going to be more healthy or be better for weight loss. It's still down to food choice. I was a fat veggie and a fat vegan for 4 years due to my over reliance on carbohydrates like pasta or meat replacements to make meals. I guess the temptation is to either miss out the meat in meals or replace it with something, but actually when I started dieting I found it opened my eyes to a whole world of healthier eating involving lentil and bean based dishes.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump, as I'm trying to figure all this out.