How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Probably too often. I weigh once in the morning and once at night. Sometimes during the day just out of curiosity. But I have learned not to let day to day fluctuations upset me. I am just interested in my own personal fluctuations and how certain foods/behaviors effect my body. I only weigh at night to see how much different it is in the morning- really interesting!

But if you are easily discouraged, I suggest once or twice a week. I really only count my weigh in once a week (Saturday morning).

It is whatever works for you!

I do the exact thing...
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    the same time everyday. I am a control freak and need to know where I'm at and if I should do more or less of something. It doesn't bother me when the scale goes up and down - because I know that happens. I just review my food diary and see if there are reasons in there or what might be going on.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning, and usually once at night, just to see where I'm at. I don't think I could do it weekly, I'm too curious.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a month. If I tried to do it every week, I'd eventually get to doing it every day & eventually seriously sabotage myself.
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every two weeks. I found once a day did not give me the encouragement I needed, especially where there was no change in the scale.

I find that every two weeks works because I ALWAYS see a difference, and usually one that makes me jump for joy (usually 3 to 4 pounds). That is more encouraging to me!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Interesting... hmm is it odd that I very rarely weigh myself?! I use my clothes as measurements.
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly... your weight fluctuates too much daily for the numbers to be dependable. Once a week is more realistic and preferably 1st thing in the morning after your morning pee, naked.
  • jdbarraz
    jdbarraz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Every morning. As long as you account for occasional stalling, you'll be ok. It doesn't really discourage me at all.

Besides, if you're doing this right, you really shouldn't see any weight gain from day to day.
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Weigh every day but only record weekly. I understand that weight can fluctuate a few pounds each day so I don't get discouraged if/when the numbers go up. In a way I think it helps keep me accountable. Been doing it for so long, its kind of an obsession now :laugh:
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Once every 3-5 days at the most is my plan, but at least once every 7-10 days otherwise.
  • ekopelevich
    ekopelevich Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, and I plan on checking my measurements once a month. The way my clothing fits is definitely an indicator of weight loss though.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Probably too often. I weigh once in the morning and once at night. Sometimes during the day just out of curiosity. But I have learned not to let day to day fluctuations upset me. I am just interested in my own personal fluctuations and how certain foods/behaviors effect my body. I only weigh at night to see how much different it is in the morning- really interesting!

This is me too! I found that when I don't weigh myself I am not as accountable for what i'm putting in my mouth. The fluctuations don't bother me too much and they also let me know when I'm plateauing (sp?) so that I can make an adjustment before I get frustrated but its about what you want and what you can handle!

Good luck!
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    You are gonna laugh at my answer !

I weighed myself at Bally's in Orlando on Feb 1 at 430 pounds. I didn't weigh myself again until July 24th, and I'm down 78 pounds. I do however try on my old clothes that used to fit when I weighed less. Its very motivating when you can zip those pants that didn't fit a month ago and now they do.

So to answer your question I recommend every 6 months, with lots of clothes trying on for motivation.

Why on earth would you need the daily pressure of a weigh in, its not like you guys are wrestlers trying to make weight for a match. I think Monthly would be more than suffiucient.
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    You are gonna laugh at my answer !

I weighed myself at Bally's in Orlando on Feb 1 at 430 pounds. I didn't weigh myself again until July 24th, and I'm down 78 pounds. I do however try on my old clothes that used to fit when I weighed less. Its very motivating when you can zip those pants that didn't fit a month ago and now they do.

So to answer your question I recommend every 6 months, with lots of clothes trying on for motivation.

Why on earth would you need the daily pressure of a weigh in, its not like you guys are wrestlers trying to make weight for a match. I think Monthly would be more than sufficient.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself about 4-5 times per week, I only record new lows except if after a full week I have a gain. So far, I have not had a gain. It's OK to do it daily if you realize that there are fluctuations and things will probably even out over the course of the week. If you will be easily discouraged by a 2-3lb pound gain from one day to the next then I wouldn't weigh in more than once per week.
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday but it drove me insane to see the fluctuations. I now weight myself weekly - every Monday morning - and I'm much more at peace! Also - buy a good scale - it's worth it!
  • FaeryBaby
    FaeryBaby Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm weighing myself daily, but it's because this is still the first month for me, and because I've done a huge overhaul on my eating habits, the numbers are changing quickly. Also, I kind of want to keep tabs on myself right now because I want to make sure I'm not losing weight *too* quickly. I think once the weight loss slows down, I'll weigh myself once or twice a week
  • mattiol4
    mattiol4 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every other morning! Just to make sure I am losing and it motivates me sometimes as well!
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was doing once a month but now I am weighing in once a week... every Friday. I like doing once a week because I can keep a closer eye on how much I need to lose throughout the month because I do not want to lose too much too fast.... slow and steady...
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, I am basically at the goal weight but I want to lose about 10 more, so getting on that scale every morning keeps me on track or lets me see where I need to tighten up a bit from the previous day.