Over exercise calorie goal making me hold on to weight?

Options
At the beginning of this thing called losing weight, I had my caloric intake set at 1200 calories and wasn't losing anything. I was eating back my exercise cals and doing everything "by the book" but not losing not 1 lb. So needless to say I up'd it to 1410 and still haven't lost any weight. But then I was looking under the exercise calories burned for the week and noticed by goal was at 1710, but my actual calories burned was almost double that - like 3062 so far.

My question is, am I not eating enough and my body is holding on to the weight? Do I need to eat more? I need to say that I don't deprive my self of anything - if I want it I eat it but only in moderation. I do eat fruits and veggies and drink plenty of H2O - espeicially since temps have been near 100 degrees!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Well that's almost a 1300 calorie deficit daily. How much are you trying to lose?
  • RdySetGO11
    Options
    1 lb a week.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    1 lb a week.
    Sorry I meant overall goal.
  • RdySetGO11
    Options
    1 lb a week.
    Sorry I meant overall goal.

Oh lol, about 25 lbs
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    1 lb a week.

What is your height, weight, body fat % (if you know it) and occupation/daily activity? I can run the numbers for you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Oh lol, about 25 lbs
    And how much do you weigh now? PM me if you want to keep it confidential.
  • RdySetGO11
    Options
    1 lb a week.

What is your height, weight, body fat % (if you know it) and occupation/daily activity? I can run the numbers for you.

I'm 5'4 and weigh 155 lbs. I don't know my body fat % and I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids! I consider myself to be lightly active. Thank you so much!
  • End6ame
    Options
    1 lb a week.

I'm 5'4 and weigh 155 lbs. I don't know my body fat % and I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids! I consider myself to be lightly active. Thank you so much!

That gives you the following numbers:

BMR = 1430
    TDEE = 2000

Based upon this to lose 1lb per week you should eat 500 calories below your TDEE which would be 1500 calories per day. This is assuming your activity level is accurate or close to accurate. Bear in mind that the output from any formula regardless of of the accuracy of the input is just an estimate, you may need to tweak this +/- 100 calories in 2-3 weeks if you have not seen any results.

FYI I used the Mifflin-St Jeor formula with an activity factor of 1.4 to estimate your TDEE.
  • phlargh
    phlargh Posts: 2
    Options
    When you say "plenty of h20"; just how much is plenty? With the amount of exercise you are doing you're probably building a lot of lean muscle. This would definitely keep your weight fairly steady even though you are burning fat. If you don't feel sluggish even with all the exercise then your body probably isn't holding on to the calories. I find it also helps to eat lots of small meals thoughout the day. (4-5 or more) You may want to try monitoring body fat % instead of weight to track your progress as well. (this would require access to equipment that can do it)
  • RdySetGO11
    Options
    1 lb a week.

BMR = 1430
    TDEE = 2000

Based upon this to lose 1lb per week you should eat 500 calories below your TDEE which would be 1500 calories per day. This is assuming your activity level is accurate or close to accurate. Bear in mind that the output from any formula regardless of of the accuracy of the input is just an estimate, you may need to tweak this +/- 100 calories in 2-3 weeks if you have not seen any results.

FYI I used the Mifflin-St Jeor formula with an activity factor of 1.4 to estimate your TDEE.

Thank you so much for your input! I will try upping my cals to 1500 and play with it from there!! I really do appreciate it!
  • RdySetGO11
    Options
    When you say "plenty of h20"; just how much is plenty? With the amount of exercise you are doing you're probably building a lot of lean muscle. This would definitely keep your weight fairly steady even though you are burning fat. If you don't feel sluggish even with all the exercise then your body probably isn't holding on to the calories. I find it also helps to eat lots of small meals thoughout the day. (4-5 or more) You may want to try monitoring body fat % instead of weight to track your progress as well. (this would require access to equipment that can do it)

I drink at least the recommended 8 8oz glasses a day but most of the time 10+ glasses.
  • End6ame
    Options
    1 lb a week.

BMR = 1430
    TDEE = 2000

Thank you so much for your input! I will try upping my cals to 1500 and play with it from there!! I really do appreciate it!

Additionally, given a 1500 calorie intake your macronutrients should be roughly the following.

Protein: 116g (.75g per lb of body weight)
    Fat: 54g (.35g per lb of body weight)
    Carbs: 137g (remaining calories go to carbs)

If your workouts are intense you may need to adjust your carbs and fat to give you more carbs in your diet. Also, there is no need to be exact, getting in the ballpark is fine.

I also should clarify that I am not a nutritionist, so take my advice for what it is worth.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You are exactly where I am as far as height and weight and goal. I'm 52 and have only lost five poinds in the last month and a half. I have been doing the Supreme 90 day and want to know why the weight is sticking around. I do see a change in my body and I have lost some inches. Please tell me my matabolism has come to a standstill.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sorry but you don't build lean muscle on calorie deficits unless you're obese and/or have never exercised on a consistent program, or you're an athlete returning after a long layoff.
    It's an myth when people say this is that case that people aren't losing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

You are exactly where I am as far as height and weight and goal. I'm 52 and have only lost five poinds in the last month and a half. I have been doing the Supreme 90 day and want to know why the weight is sticking around. I do see a change in my body and I have lost some inches. Please tell me my matabolism has come to a standstill.
    Well age has something to do with it. As you age your metabolic rate slows. Have you tried increasing intensity on your workout?
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the exercise, but I am your same height with a similar normal activity level - lightly active. I started around 150 and wasn't losing any weight. Did the 1200 calorie, did the upping my calories to 1360, zig zagged my calories and still wasn't losing anything.

Finally took the time to look through my food diary and even though all the calories were good, even the protein was decent and the fiber and water were great - I was always over on carbs. I know a lot of people say it's calories that determines weight loss but it's not for me. I haven't changed the amount of calories I eat, just cut back on carbs. I'm finally losing weight. I'm not doing low carb, but I cut back from doing way too many carbs. Trying to stay around 135-140 each day and that has helped a lot.
  • junipuni
    Options
    Also, just took a quick glance at your food diary and if it is accurate I would suggest trying to get more fiber in each day.
  • End6ame
    Options

Your metabolism has not come to a standstill, but your metabolic rate (your BMR) may have decreased over time. Your BMR is largely influenced by your lean body mass, and women over the age of 40 tend to lose muscle mass yearly, which will cause your BMR to decrease resulting in fewer calories burned on a daily basis. Further, if your are exercising on a caloric deficit and not including enough strength training (I am not familiar with Supreme 90), then some of the weight you will lose will inevitably be muscle loss, which again will lower your BMR and you will be trapped in an endless cycle.

The way to break this cycle is to include sufficient amounts of strength training into your regimen to, at minimum, maintain muscle mass, but hopefully to increase muscle mass to slowly start increasing your BMR once again. By “sufficient amounts of strength training” I am talking about lifting weights at an intensity that is difficult, not 3lb dumbbells. Your body responds to stimulus and that stimulus must be enough for your body to recognize that it needs to adapt i.e. build new muscle. I won’t go into long details and specific on strength training here, but hopefully this information is helpful and you can starting moving in the right direction.
  • junipuni
    Options
    I wouldn't consider 5 pounds in 6 weeks as weight sticking around. I think that is actually a pretty good rate for you to lose weight and would try not to be too disappointed. I don't think your metabolism is as a standstill if you are losing.