Over exercise calorie goal making me hold on to weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I can't speak to the exercise, but I am your same height with a similar normal activity level - lightly active. I started around 150 and wasn't losing any weight. Did the 1200 calorie, did the upping my calories to 1360, zig zagged my calories and still wasn't losing anything.

Finally took the time to look through my food diary and even though all the calories were good, even the protein was decent and the fiber and water were great - I was always over on carbs. I know a lot of people say it's calories that determines weight loss but it's not for me. I haven't changed the amount of calories I eat, just cut back on carbs. I'm finally losing weight. I'm not doing low carb, but I cut back from doing way too many carbs. Trying to stay around 135-140 each day and that has helped a lot.

Thanks for your input, that is great to hear! This is exactly the reason that I also provided a general recommendations on macronutrients. Many people will say they are not important but through my research and experience, it is much easier to lose if you are also hitting your macronutrient ratios.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am in the same boat I will use this advice. Thanks for asking.
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES. 1200 is way to low. If MFP at teh end of the day says more than 8 pounds lost in 5 weeks, change it. MFP told me to eat 1200, which is ridiculoius and everyday it said you will weight 10-12 pounds les sin 5 weeks. I held on to weight liek crazy. I upped my claroeis by 400 and now it actually says my goal weight in 5 weeks, Try changing your calroies.
  • ashleyroro
    Options
    Hello Grglandr,
    I hate to ask but I am very desperate for help. I have lost 35 pounds but now have been at a complete standstill for a while now and I know it is because I am not eating enough calories because I am afraid to eat too much. Would you be willing to calculate my numbers for me as well. I would be very very grateful.

I'm 21 years old, 5'11, 194 pounds. I'm not sure of my % of body fat but I am a full time college student and I consider myself very lightly active.

Any helpful tips/numbers are very much appreciated. Thanks!
  • End6ame
    Options
    Hello Grglandr,
    I hate to ask but I am very desperate for help. I have lost 35 pounds but now have been at a complete standstill for a while now and I know it is because I am not eating enough calories because I am afraid to eat too much. Would you be willing to calculate my numbers for me as well. I would be very very grateful.

I'm 21 years old, 5'11, 194 pounds. I'm not sure of my % of body fat but I am a full time college student and I consider myself very lightly active.

Any helpful tips/numbers are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Your BMR would be 1743. If I enter your activity factor as 1.3 (lightly active) that gives you a TDEE of 2266. A 500 calorie deficit from here would be 1766. Being that is almost exactly your BMR (and factoring for margin of error) , I would shoot for 1800 calories per day and if you come in a little under, that would be fine. Your macros would look something like this.

Protein = 149g
    Fat = 68g
    Carbs = 152g

As with the other that I posted, this is only an estimate and you may need to tweak your caloric and macro intake after 2-3 weeks depending on how you are responding. Keep in mind too that I am not a nutritionist, so take my advice for what it is worth.

Good luck!
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

You are exactly where I am as far as height and weight and goal. I'm 52 and have only lost five poinds in the last month and a half. I have been doing the Supreme 90 day and want to know why the weight is sticking around. I do see a change in my body and I have lost some inches. Please tell me my matabolism has come to a standstill.
    Well age has something to do with it. As you age your metabolic rate slows. Have you tried increasing intensity on your workout?
    Yes with the weights on this program I have. I am able to do more reps of the program then I was at the beginning.
  • End6ame
    Options

You are exactly where I am as far as height and weight and goal. I'm 52 and have only lost five poinds in the last month and a half. I have been doing the Supreme 90 day and want to know why the weight is sticking around. I do see a change in my body and I have lost some inches. Please tell me my matabolism has come to a standstill.
    Well age has something to do with it. As you age your metabolic rate slows. Have you tried increasing intensity on your workout?
    Yes with the weights on this program I have. I am able to do more reps of the program then I was at the beginning.

Just increase reps is not the same thing as increasing weight. Increase the weight will create more of an adaptive response from your body.
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    I can't speak to the exercise, but I am your same height with a similar normal activity level - lightly active. I started around 150 and wasn't losing any weight. Did the 1200 calorie, did the upping my calories to 1360, zig zagged my calories and still wasn't losing anything.

Finally took the time to look through my food diary and even though all the calories were good, even the protein was decent and the fiber and water were great - I was always over on carbs. I know a lot of people say it's calories that determines weight loss but it's not for me. I haven't changed the amount of calories I eat, just cut back on carbs. I'm finally losing weight. I'm not doing low carb, but I cut back from doing way too many carbs. Trying to stay around 135-140 each day and that has helped a lot.
    Fiber, I am over on which I don't mind. Carbs I'm okay, protein I'm over but I added sugar count to my profile and HOLY MOLY!!! I didn't realize I was eating that much sugar. But I see what you mean by tweeking your profile. I am going to cut down on the fruit.
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    I wouldn't consider 5 pounds in 6 weeks as weight sticking around. I think that is actually a pretty good rate for you to lose weight and would try not to be too disappointed. I don't think your metabolism is as a standstill if you are losing.
    Thanks, I just need to get out of my head those results I got on fad diets, i.e, Lemonade. Did I just admit that?:embarassed:
  • dafoots0911
    Options

Thanks for your help
    Just increase reps is not the same thing as increasing weight. Increase the weight will create more of an adaptive response from your body.