Healthy eating adds $380 to yearly grocery bill, study shows

Options
2»

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The article does state that it doesn't have to be expensive. It mentions how 95 cents worth of bananas provides enough potassium. And it talks about how people need to know how to get good nutritional bang for their buck.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I agree with you...I'd rather pay a bit more now than pay thousands because my health is ruined.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I beleive it. But, it is 110% worth it!
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    My grocery bill has gone up but my overall expenditures on food has gone down drastically. I compared July 2010 to July 2011 and spent over $800 less.

Why?

I'm not eating out as much, and eating out is far more expensive then cooking at home.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    <rant>
    what a crock of $h&t..
    "Almost 15 percent of households in America say they don't have enough money to eat the way they want to eat," Seligman said. Recent estimates show 49 million Americans make food decisions based on cost, she added.

i really just dont buy it. I think that most Americans eat the comfort foods that they grew up with. There are PLENTY of people that think that to eat healthy means to deprive yourself. Its amazing how many people eat the same things over and over, out of habit, etc. Also, the food pyramid is certainly up for debate when you look at the balance they feel is correct. I also think that a person that is not tracking calories has NO clue about what they consume. Im sure I am not the only one in this forum that was shocked to see the hidden calories I was taking in once I started this process.

I am confident you can eat REAL food for the same money as the typical American's crap diet (UK has done a fine job of catching up to us on obesity numbers). The missing element is education.. if you read the posts on here you will realize that people struggle with WHAT to eat, how to prepare it, what is a proper balance, etc.

How do we educate not only low income people, but all people? Diet/nutrition is a field where there is still so many arguments about the details.. meal timing, nutrient balance, etc.. it can easily overwhelm a person. how do we inform people that fad diets simply do not work? yes you may drop X pounds on the cabbage diet, but you can not maintain an extreme eating plan, and when you revert to "normal" eating, the weight will come back (typically with a few new friends)

the last thing we need in the news is junk like this. to give people an excuse to eat crap is just plain crazy. why did the article not discuss the negatives of a "typical" diet?

</rant>

Mike
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think compared to health it is a small price to pay!
    And in all honesty I eat more now then I did when I ate unhealthy.
    I always have calories left, so I don't feel deprived. But like anything else you have to learn a new way to cook.
    some exercise to the mix and wow I feel energized.
    Thanks for the article!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I haven't had to buy lettuce all summer. Or onions. Or beets.....the raised beds, and the water, are an expense, but they're totally worth it. Plus, each lovely head of lettuce (and the now amazing zucchini, and the spinach, and berries) are further evidence that seasonal eating pays.

I think this is a less expensive life: I'm healthier, I'm outside more, my kids are learning about food, I've learned how to use my solar oven, and I know what has (or hasn't) been sprayed on my vegetables.

It's a choice whether our healthy lifestyle is going to be more expensive than our prior lifestyle: mine feels so much richer now, though.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    this is hilarious...

where's the article that says how much the average american spends on Soda/Pop? Or the article on the cost of fast food? How much do people spend at Starbucks, I wonder.

Keep your priorities straight and take care of your health!
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I spend $100-150 a month on groceries for 2 people, eating healthy is CHEAP if you know how to shop.

People spending more to eat healthy aren’t buying appropriate seasonal vegetables or aren't shopping at the best stores. Price matching at Walmart and No Frills means I only go to 1 grocery store a week and do not have to run all over town to get the best prices.

this reminds me of the joke where a guy asks for a sandwich with half the calories, and he gets a half of a sandwich. :p

no frills is cheap - but i dont buy my produce or meat there....you really get what you paid for, its hardly quality
  • FitandPrettywithME
    FitandPrettywithME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and how it's looked at. Yes, I do spend more at the grocery store now, but I also bring my lunch most days instead of heading to the cafeteria or fast food chain. Therefore, it more than balances out. Not to mention I tend not to eat out a restaurants and don't partake in movie snacks anymore. It's DEFINATELY worth it.