too young to be healthy???

Options
124»

Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, Bry, you started it...

Here goes MY 6 cents (since I have 3 small children, 2 cents each for me!)

Weight problems run in my hub's and my families, as well as heart disease and diabetes.
    Hub and I have battled for Years getting to/maintaining a healthy weight.
    Our older 2 kids go to boxing 3x a week, and want to start running with Hub and/or me.
    All 3 of my kids are at healthy weights, the photos of health. So am I.
    I do NOT believe in double standards (what I eat, my kids eat).
    Our bodies are going to be with us for the rest of our lives, we need to teach our kids good habits when they're young.
    We often talk about and discuss healthy options, why we eat what we do, the purpose behind specific foods (tomatoes for muscle soreness, dairy for bones, fish for the brain, carrots for the eyes, papayas to make us stressless and happy, etc), and why we do things like cake in moderation.

*this being said*

We buy nearly everything fat free, low fat, sugar free, low sodium, etc.
    My kids tend to "snitch" things from our fridge like strawberries, apples, carrots, quinoa, and yogurt.
    The phrases "you need protein to recover from your workout" and "balanced diet" as well as other similar saying often leave my mouth.
    We don't purchase "bad" food. However, if someone else offers it to my kids, that's fine.
    The ones that can read, I ask them to flip the labels so they know what they're eating.
    We live a pretty decent version of a pescatarian lifestyle.

If you want to challenge me on what I choose to feed my family, take it up with my doctor who specializes in sports medicine (therefore actually knows about nutrition and works with professional athletes) because unlike most people, I did ask my doctor about changes our eating habits before throwing myself full-time into these practices and he said this is a great diet plan.

funny enough, I never said the mom was WRONG for her decision. I said I thought it was STRANGE. Different, but not WRONG. No one seemed to notice that, though.... I wasn't trying to start any battles, just saying what I heard and how it came across as strange to me and wondered how others would have taken it. Some of them act as if I spanked the lady for telling her kid no. lol :laugh:

Of course, you were very non-judgemental and stated it was odd to you... but a lot of people don't take such statements as "hm, whatever, now moving on with life" lol!

You SHOULD have spanked the lady though, that would have made the news or something, then I would have eventually found out and come bail you out of jail, lol!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, Bry, you started it...

Here goes MY 6 cents (since I have 3 small children, 2 cents each for me!)

Weight problems run in my hub's and my families, as well as heart disease and diabetes.
    Hub and I have battled for Years getting to/maintaining a healthy weight.
    Our older 2 kids go to boxing 3x a week, and want to start running with Hub and/or me.
    All 3 of my kids are at healthy weights, the photos of health. So am I.
    I do NOT believe in double standards (what I eat, my kids eat).
    Our bodies are going to be with us for the rest of our lives, we need to teach our kids good habits when they're young.
    We often talk about and discuss healthy options, why we eat what we do, the purpose behind specific foods (tomatoes for muscle soreness, dairy for bones, fish for the brain, carrots for the eyes, papayas to make us stressless and happy, etc), and why we do things like cake in moderation.

*this being said*

We buy nearly everything fat free, low fat, sugar free, low sodium, etc.
    My kids tend to "snitch" things from our fridge like strawberries, apples, carrots, quinoa, and yogurt.
    The phrases "you need protein to recover from your workout" and "balanced diet" as well as other similar saying often leave my mouth.
    We don't purchase "bad" food. However, if someone else offers it to my kids, that's fine.
    The ones that can read, I ask them to flip the labels so they know what they're eating.
    We live a pretty decent version of a pescatarian lifestyle.

If you want to challenge me on what I choose to feed my family, take it up with my doctor who specializes in sports medicine (therefore actually knows about nutrition and works with professional athletes) because unlike most people, I did ask my doctor about changes our eating habits before throwing myself full-time into these practices and he said this is a great diet plan.

funny enough, I never said the mom was WRONG for her decision. I said I thought it was STRANGE. Different, but not WRONG. No one seemed to notice that, though.... I wasn't trying to start any battles, just saying what I heard and how it came across as strange to me and wondered how others would have taken it. Some of them act as if I spanked the lady for telling her kid no. lol :laugh:

Of course, you were very non-judgemental and stated it was odd to you... but a lot of people don't take such statements as "hm, whatever, now moving on with life" lol!

You SHOULD have spanked the lady though, that would have made the news or something, then I would have eventually found out and come bail you out of jail, lol!

I would have sent my carrier pigeon to let you know I was locked up, lol. :laugh: