This is why I LOVE Zumba

Options
13»

Replies

• Cathy_5011
    Options
    thats great! I love Zumba as well. I have the Zumba Kinect it is so much fun getting points and seeing your party background dancers increase.

Well keep having fun and dancing :)
  • baschmidt2
    Options
    yeah an actual class is a lot better and you also have to have a good instructor. it all depends on the music. the video game and dvd is just not the same! I love zumba!! that's how i have lost 21 lbs so far!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn on it do you know? Im only 5 1 so i wonder if it will burn alot i did the class a couple of times it was fun.

Be careful of the sites that estimate. Both MFP and zumbacalories.com estimated that I'd burn 550-750 calories for an hour of Zumba. My HRM (still an estimate, but one based on more factors) only has me at about 400.
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    i have been going to a zumba class 3 times a week for the past 2 1/2 months or so and have lost about 2/3's of my weight since i started in january of this year. i havnt tried any of the zumba dvd's or zumba for the wii, but i would seriously reccomend going to a class. it is just amazing and at least where i go everyone is so friendly. it is just an awesome experience.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ok...I know this is off topic for this...but, am I the only one who doesn't like Zumba? I had the DVD's and ended up selling them on ebay.

I love that you all love it! And I wish I could too! Do you take a class? Is that what makes it different?

I have to say the DVD's just aren't the same. The classes are SO much fun, especially if you have an upbeat teacher.
    Editing to say that the DVD's don't have the PARTY feel that the classes do. I totally forget I'm working out when I'm in the class. And the classes change it up a bit with different variations on the moves, different combinations of music, etc. I get bored with DVD's pretty quickly because I learn the routine so fast.
  • tmiller81
    Options
    My daughter gave me a copy several months ago....I have never even put it in to watch it or see what it is like. After reading all these awesome reviews, I do believe I will go home tonight and give it a try and see what happens! I power walk ever evening even in this heat, and it just does not seem to bring down the lbs. It did at first but not so much now, so maybe it is time to "change it up a bit"! Thanks all for your words of encouragement!!
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was gonna try out Zumba tonight by sis is coming over. Anyway, there is Zumba and Zumba Gold (for beginners and older people). I do lots of cardio, but I've never gone to this class nor am I a dancer by any means. Do I need to have a dance background to do this? I'm scared to try to be honest.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was gonna try out Zumba tonight by sis is coming over. Anyway, there is Zumba and Zumba Gold (for beginners and older people). I do lots of cardio, but I've never gone to this class nor am I a dancer by any means. Do I need to have a dance background to do this? I'm scared to try to be honest.

Definitely not! I have 2 left feet but I still do it. You'll likely see people of all levels in the same class. Just have fun.
  • Mandyw58
    Mandyw58 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to Zumba, as I've only taken a couple of classes, but I absolutely love it and have been recommending it to all my friends. Here's how well it works for me (I'm only 4'11, so my calorie burn is probably on the low end compared to most people):

Zumba: 475 calories/hr, Avg HR 160
    Biking: 475 calories/hr, Avg HR 160 (Same for spinning class)
    Running: 600 calories/hr, Avg HR 165-175

The difference is that I have to force myself to go running, and I'm usually breathing hard the entire time. Biking I enjoy, but again, I'm usually breathing hard and steady the entire time. When I did Zumba, I had a great time and was breathing fast but it didn't seem as hard as when I'm running/biking. Even when my HR spiked up to 186, I still didn't feel too out of breath. Although I'm not going to stop running or biking, it's nice to have an activity that I really enjoy and look forwards to.

For those who are wondering about if you have to be a good dancer, the answer is definitely no. I'm not a person who normally enjoys dancing. I'm the person who sits and guards the drinks at the table. I've also been known to run away from someone who was trying to drag me onto the dance floor. But with Zumba, you just do the steps as best as you can. I found it about as easy to pick up as step class (I also burned more calories with Zumba than step).
  • GnaKB
    GnaKB Posts: 1
    Options
    I didn't like my Zumba DVD's either, but the class is TOTALLY different!! It's so much fun when there's a group of people hype to exercise then just you at home alone.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I <3 my Zumba classes! Congratulations!! Keep up the good work!
  • AlyAnt26
    AlyAnt26 Posts: 58
    Options
    Ok...I know this is off topic for this...but, am I the only one who doesn't like Zumba? I had the DVD's and ended up selling them on ebay.

I love that you all love it! And I wish I could too! Do you take a class? Is that what makes it different?

NO!!! I got the DVD set and totally despised it! I do have to say though, being in a class is MUCH more fun!!!! It's more variety, more people to motivate you, and you just feel good being part of something...at least that's how I felt! Give it another try if you can get a partner, or group to do it with!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Just got the Zumba for PS3. Can't wait to try it!

There are also classes at the gym, but I'd like to try it at home first- I'm not the best at choreographed exercise. I went to step aerobics class one day and couldn't keep up! And everyone in the class had been going probably everyday forever, and the instructor was catering to them...Ugh! LOL
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I love it. It doesnt feel like a workout though. So i can do more the same day compared to other work dvds that i do.
  • sgoodearl
    sgoodearl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Zumba Rocks! I find myself through out the day thinking...Zumba...Zumba and swaying my hips. I know it sounds weird but hey whatever keeps the motivation that works, is what I encourage!
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    Zumba Rocks! I find myself through out the day thinking...Zumba...Zumba and swaying my hips. I know it sounds weird but hey whatever keeps the motivation that works, is what I encourage!
    Me, too! I usually end up listening to some music (on low) while I'm working and I'm dancing all the time. hehehehee
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    Just got the Zumba for PS3. Can't wait to try it!

There are also classes at the gym, but I'd like to try it at home first- I'm not the best at choreographed exercise. I went to step aerobics class one day and couldn't keep up! And everyone in the class had been going probably everyday forever, and the instructor was catering to them...Ugh! LOL

My class is in the dark. My instructor is the only one illuminated. There is a disco ball and we're just at the club, you know? I don't see anyone else in the room even if it's packed, because I'm focused on ME and that instructor. Give it a shot. It is SO much more intense in a class.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options

Nah, you're not alone! My friend HATES it. And I've tried a few classes where I'm like "What is this?". They have no energy or motivation. Sometimes a good instructor makes the difference. The gym I'm at now has awesome teachers and the classes are really energizing. You feel so good after and you have a great time, so the hour flies by!

I know some people just aren't into shaking their money makers in a class like that either. It can be akward to try to do some of the pelvic thrust type movements in room full of strangers! LOL! I just do my best and laugh.
  • Hailee61502
    Hailee61502 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I LOVE me some zumba!!! Especially zumba with Heather in Terre Haute, IN. It's unlike any other zumba classes i've been too! Not all latin, spanish borning crap but lots of R & B, rap and amazing non stop booty shakin!! LOVE IT!!! I've lost 45lbs since October while just doing zumba and watching what I eat!! L.O.V.E. IT!!
  • Shan80
    Shan80 Posts: 47
    Options
    That's great!! Congrats!

I don't like to do the DVD's (or the games) but the actual classes with an instructor are a BLAST! I'm a big girl - never imagined I would be able to do zumba or even like it but I gave it a shot - LOVED it and made it through the first class and kept going back!

I'm currently awaiting our Fall class to start on the 22nd. I can't wait! It's such a fun and exhausting workout!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!